xisto Community
isabella7

Is Mozilla The Best Browser?

Hi guys,Can anyone tell me what is the main deference between IE and Mozilla Firefox ? I have been using IE (version 6.0) for one year but from now on I have decided to use Firefox. I just want to know as to what Mozilla can do which Internet Explorer can not.Thanks!

One of the main reasons why Firefox is loved over Internet Explorer is because of Firefox's extensions. Extensions extend the user's browsing experience. Since you mention Internet Explorer 6, another reason is because of the tabbed browsing, where it places all opened webpages into one window. Others like the fact that it is standards compliant—mostly web developers. I use Firefox for its error console. But Opera is my #1 browser.

Firefox is unbeatable when it comes to speed surfing. Opera is next i guess. IE is the least of my choice because, unless all the images, scripts, links etc are loaded by the browser, the page would not show. Not very good for slow internet connections.

The most frustrating thing about all these browsers is that when you design a website, you have to make sure your scripts are compatible with each browser type. I didn't know when I started out at first, so I had to redesign my web pages a couple of times. For example, what appears to be a perfect page in Firefox could look really ridiculous in Internet Explorer, with frames all strewn around here and there. So now, I double check each page so that they work on all type of browsers. And since Mozilla Firefox is my no.1 choice, I'd always write at the bottom of the page "website optimized for Mozilla Firefox". And I've learned that a few of my website users have migrated to this browser.

Each browser has its pros and cons, but when all is said and done, most people can agree that Internet Explorer is on the bottom of the list for most desirable. :D If you're comparing IE6 with any instance of Firefox (1, 2, or even 3 beta), you will already notice that Firefox supports tabbed browsing, extensions, themes, and is open source for anyone to edit and make better. So if you think about it, Firefox is a browser made by the people who use it. And who could make something better than the people who use the product themselves?Firefox, so far, has been rather secure compared to Internet Explorer. I'm still waiting for the day, however, that a hacker will knock Mac users off their high horses. The same applies for Firefox users.One problem with Firefox, however, is the fact that it just takes up too much memory. Right now, I'm running five tabs and Firefox 3 Beta 2 is taking up 127,000Kb, or about 124 MB of RAM off of a 1GB RAM machine. I hope that Firefox developers will find a way to nip that problem in the bud; however, no promising outcomes since the browser came out.Another problem, more towards the web designers, is that Firefox doesn't support some CSS properties that Internet Explorer enjoys. Not to mention what Polter said about having to design websites for multiple browsers... it's already a pain that you have to strive for a uniform look in any browser.I still use Firefox religiously though. :P

Both the browsers IE and mozilla are good..But mozilla is generally known for its speed.I am Using mozilla firefox in my dekstop....it works well there.With mozilla if you intall greasemonkey then you can install user javascripts which could be used for various purposes,there are lot more addons in mozilla firefox and also it has got variety of themes.In mozilla firefox you could have thunderbrid,seamonkey....Which are really helpful.I Used IE 6.0 .I think its speed is no where near to that of mozilla firefox...I would recommend you to use IE 7.0 or mozilla firefox latest versions.:D:P

I would like to point out that Internet explorer does have plug-ins but the only problem is though the good ones you have to pay money for and some of start at a nice $20 and up. thus the reason why plug-ins for firefox are better because they are free.rayzoredge what plug in do you have installed on FF3B2 because most of the plug-ins that are installed have not even been pushed to FF3 yet, now granted you could be using ones that I don't use. Right now I have 5 tabs open myself and I am hovering around 65,000L right now with like 5 active plug-ins, and of course I tweaked the memory as well to help lower it, and I know several posts have mentioned how to tweak it including the one I made on the FF3 topic.I am surprise no one mention why it so speedy is that it is more web standards compliant then IE 6 and 7.Again though as my teacher will say IE is still better in the database implementation, and on top of that IE will always be there until Microsoft goes out of business :P. Although I wouldn't use IE7 just yet because many people still use IE6 and if you don't get your coding right you will never know like I just found that a website could look wrong in IE6.

rayzoredge what plug in do you have installed on FF3B2 because most of the plug-ins that are installed have not even been pushed to FF3 yet, now granted you could be using ones that I don't use. Right now I have 5 tabs open myself and I am hovering around 65,000L right now with like 5 active plug-ins, and of course I tweaked the memory as well to help lower it, and I know several posts have mentioned how to tweak it including the one I made on the FF3 topic.

I just have the usual set for viewing most web sites... Flash, Adobe Reader, DRM, QuickTime, and I just threw on Silverlight for kicks and giggles. (This is a work computer... so I don't care.) :P

StumbleUpon is the only extension that made it past. Everything else got nix'd with the "upgrade." :D

My numbers are without the memory leak tweak, though. Then again, that tweak only takes effect once you have Firefox minimized... and I can't remember how well it works. (If I do remember correctly, it reduces down to 15MB of RAM or so minimized, but climbs back up when you go back to using it.)

I just reformatted my personal laptop and have not got around to applying the memory leak fix or the other tweaks in the about:config file. I don't remember if they actually make a huge difference or not... but every bit helps.

Personally, I like Seamonkey better than Mozilla or Firefox, and I like Opera over that. But Opera isn't the best despite it's nice featureset. NoScript+Seamonkey is great. It has many of the features of opera (sans some things which I think would make better sense), but with the NoScript extension you get a nice amount of security as well.IE is a hock of pumice - it keeps afloat for a while, but then it ends up sinking to rock bottom. It's a hunk of junk and web designers (including me) hate it. Firefox and many other browsers render pages much better that follow web standards without having to hack code, and are more extensible with a richer featureset and more security.

I think Mozilla is the best browser, but thats my opinion, Internet Explorer 7 is great but sometimes its not as great. There are also many complications between browsers. Javascript, Css could display wrong, or not function well. If there was only one broswer, it would be better for the designers, and scripters.

I dont know why but i have always preferred IE I have the latest version, about a year ago i tried mozilla and i jsut didnt care for it. But like I said I have used IE for years so maybe its just me Liking what I am used to. I do hear good things about mozilla not to many bad things so you my like it.

I use Firefox (mostly), but there are a couple of sites which crash due to some difficulties with the Extensions I have installed for Web Design stuff, so I use Opera for those sites. If Opera had an extension more like the Web Dev Ext, I would use it all the time. I think it is faster, has better cache management and is Acid Test 2 Standards compliant as well. But I use the Web Dev Ext too much to switch.

SPOILER!

MOZZILLA IS BETTER THAN IE!!!

But then again, Safari is even BETTER! Yes, Apple did release it for Windows. It's in beta but it still owns! It's just that some websites don't run as well on Safari; that's when you use Mozilla. I personally recommend uninstalling IE in the control panel - add/remove windows components.

Edited by savgunz (see edit history)