xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Wireless Router Problems. Keeps dropping network.

I recently bought a laptop(HP Pavilion dv9000) with integrated wireless and I wanted to set-up wireless in my house. So, I bought a wireless router, more specifically I bought a Netgear 108mps router, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C0XS0.

Now I got the wireless router before I got the router and set it up. But made all of the correct connections and ran the setup wizard. I got no errors or anything. I set the security to WPA2 and set the passphrase and everything correctly also.

Now, when I got my laptop I set it up and everything and it found my wireless network in range so I entered all of information and it connected!

So far so good right?

But after it connected I will mysteriously drop the connection, my internet will just stop working and a minute later it will show the connection dropped in the taskbar, when I double click the wireless connection icon down there it says it doesn't find any wireless networks in range. (We can rule out me being too far away because I have tested it all right next to the router) I then found out if I go downstairs and open the routers online configuration page and go to wireless settings and click "save" (without having to change anything) my laptop then connects and stays connected for a while before I have to repeat this whole process.

Now what I would like to know is, is it my router doing it. or is it my laptop?

And which ever it is how can I fix this?

I have tried unplugging the modem and router for a bit and reconnecting it all but it didn't solve my dropping problems.

Thanks for any help in advance.

AAh simple steps:

1: Find your wireless channel and max it out, channel 11 is the top setting, then save it

2: Next go to the website for the router and download the firmware upgrade from the site and then install it, make sure you have the right version and you can go here to the download section and get it from there.

3: Make sure your all your info is correct on the primary computer the router is connected to.

4: Save everything and then open a new window in your browser and see if anything comes up, if not then release your IP address and then renew it, and try again. If not then

5: unplug everything including the cable to the router and then wait 5 minutes then plug your cable to the modem, then your modem to the computer and then turn the computer on.

Now check your connection again and see what happens, hopefully doing the disconnect/reconnect method will fix this as I had I had a similar problem when I first ran my router. So let us know if the these steps work or not.

I've dealt with few laptops were behaving similar to your situation. If all possible solution fails try this: disable your anti-virus and see if your connection mysteriously drops.With models from Dell with free anti-virus this solution did the trick. Once users of certain Dell models switched to another anti-virus product they reported that internet connection stayed constant.I don't know why it would do such a thing but before you can rule it out as a hardware issue try this. Let us know how it goes.

Hmm.. Are you sure your laptop supports that type of security. When you run the installation, you usually can choose which type of security you prefer like wep, and a couple others. Try just WEP, and maybe it'll work. Or run the install again, maybe that'll do the job.

I've got the same problem with my HP laptop and my WPA2 wireless signal. I come to find out there is an update patch for people using WPA2. Contact HP and they'll point you to the patch.

Yeah i had that problem it took a week till i tried plugging in my router to my HP laptopand it worked i got online and it was going pretty fast so i suggest : -If your running your laptop on wireless, get your laptop connected to your router.-If that does not work you should call technical support or get help.-If they say its your router you should return it and buy a new one.

i have problems making my Hp Laptop wireless without using the ethernet cable

Wireless Router Problems.

Replying to Damen

Hi mr.Damen my name is Najah and I am 17yrs old still in Highschool.

I am having some difficulties making my hp laptop wireless. I can't make it wireless I have to use my ethernet just to go on the internet isn't that odd. I tried using the internet downstairs but it did not work so I had to go back upstairs to put the ethernet cable just to use the internet because my ethernet cable is setup in my brother's room

-reply by najah gilmore

wireless configuration problemWireless Router Problems.

my husband bought an HP Pavilion dv4-1117nrEntertainment Notebook PC and eventually decided to buy a wireless router so we could use internet anywhere in the house. We bought a netgear WGR614v9 model and installed it using the setup assistant. However, after we have reached the activate the network, we couldnt seem to proceed to secure network. There are also times when I would be able to connect to internet using the router but when I try to set up again, I lost the internet connection. After several attempts, I was able to connect to the internet using the ethernet cable. How would I set up the wireless internet? Is there a procedure I need to follow or do? I was told that the configuration depends on the model of my laptop. Please help me...Thanks

-reply by karina

HELP Mini Laptop PurchaseWireless Router Problems.

OK! Here it goes. I Got a mini dell laptop and it has been all setup to receive the router/verizon wireless connection and the laptop we already had in the house was working fine till my laptop got connected to the router/verizon wireless service too. Now, neither of the computers work or should I say connect to the internet. Mine never did. Does it matter if you are WPA or WEP???

IS there anything else we can do to get these computers back up and running. We have tried turning the router etc. Off and on. But can more then one laptop be on a wireless router at a time? It shouldn't matter right??Please help me!

Tia

wireless keeps cutting outWireless Router Problems.I have the same problem with my Advent 5612 laptop and Netgear WGR614 v9.The router was supplied by virgin media when I got cable. (the virgin website has no answers for this problem.)When I first tried connecting wirelessly it didn't work, so after a few days I tried it again, this time it worked but after a few days it cut out and didn't work, then a few more days and it worked again it went like this for a few weeks then stopped working altogether. I haven't been able to connect since.Can anybody help? (I have reset it but it still won't work)

wireless keepd dropping outWireless Router Problems.

I have the same problem with my Advent 5612 laptop and Netgear WGR614 v9.

The router was supplied by virgin media when I got cable. (the virgin website has no answers for this problem.)

when I first tryed connecting wirelessly it didn't work, so after a few days I tried it again, this time it worked but after a few days it cut out and didn't work, then a few more days and it worked again it went like this for a few weeks then stopped working alltogether. I haven't been able to connect since.

can anybody help? (I have reset it but it still won't work) 

-reply by jack

Two things you can do...

1) Make sure you have the latest driver installed for the wireless device on your computer.

2) Update the firmware for your router.

keep loosing wireless conection on my apple macWireless Router Problems.

I have a 50 mbbroadband conection fron virgin media. My windows based laptops connects to the wireless without any problem but I cannot get my apple mac to connect to the wireless. Every time I want to connect my mac book I have to shut down and restart my router and the mac book connects to the router but it is very slow and after a while it drops the connection  and I have to go throught shut down ritual again. Any suggestions to what am I doing wrong or what settings can I change .

thanks,

-reply by raman