xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Wireless Router Problems. Keeps dropping network.

Hi!You're probably experiencing a common problem that most wireless users face. I've got a Siemens Gigaset wireless router and I occasionally (up to 6 times a day) have to turn off the router and turn it on again when it drops the wireless connection. Wired connections work just fine though.I've noticed a slightly different problem with a 3COM wireless router... when I got an old HP laptop with a specific wireless driver to connect to the 3COM wireless router, it would go down completely (both wireless and wired) as soon as the laptop starts connecting (i.e. it never gets connected but always manages to crash the router when I turn on the wireless). Installing a new driver fixed the problem.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Wireless stopped working...says w/l is available, but it has not signalWireless Router Problems.I bought my Gateway laptop about 2 months ago along with a Linksys router which seemed to install flawlessly and everything worked fine. On Wednesday when I turned on my laptop it showed that I was not connected to a network, but wireless networks were available. I pulled up the networks and there was my home/wireless network but it shows no signal and I have not been able to connect since.I have taken my laptop into the next room where the router is, I have unplugged, uncabled everything there is, have uninstalled and re-installed the Linksys software, but still nothing. Can anyone help me?

router and modemWireless Router Problems.Hi I have a acer 5230e laptop , I have a linksys router for a wireless printer and I have a wireless eircom internet modem both set up but when I am on the internet and want to print via wireless I have to disconnect my internet connection and connect my router to print is there any way I can have the two set up to run together. Thanks pat-question by Pat od

Cannot plug in my wireless router?Wireless Router Problems.

Hello,

Well, I'll be forward with this. I do not know how to plug in my D-Link wireless router ( DIR-628 ) to my Motoral Cable Modem ( SB5102 ).

I'm pretty sure you have to connect an ethernet cord from the router to the modem, but the modem doesn't have any ports ( or whatever they are called )!

Here is a picture of the two.

Modem: 

Posted Image 

And my  router:

Posted Image 

Any help will be much appreciated! Please and Thank-you guys. =]

-question by Josh

wireless signal constantly droppingWireless Router Problems.

I have a 2wire dsl moem that has worked good for the last 6 years with 2 wireless computers and one hard wired. I recently switched to charter cable and the wireless signal constantly drops and reconnects. Great strength on the signal but it keeps dropping. I have tried dlink and belkin routers with the same results. I called charter and they came with a wireless/cable modem. Same results. The hardwire computer great. I have disconnected all phones all kids games the invisible dog fence but still the same results. Right now I am still using the dsl 2wire wireless but really want to use the cable. Anybody please give ideas.

-reply by Bill

Wireless network connected, but no wirless internet access.Wireless Router Problems.

Hi,

I have just got a new Belkin and+ router, and it appeared that things were fine when I installed the software for my wired PC (with XP), except that one step said "internet not connected" although the internet light (like a world globe icon) was on, AND I had access to the internet with this wired PC!!

However, the last step in the process asked me if I could connect all my wireless computers to the network.  So I installed the software to my son's PC (uses XP in another room) and tried connecting this PC.  The "computer icon" in the system tray said connected and "very good signal" but no internet access with Internet Explorer 8.  Same problem with daughter's laptop (running Windows 7), but this did not connect to the internet even with my older NetGear RangeMax router (although the wireless PC did).

I tried changing the IP addresses to manual from dynamic (as previously set) and put in the correct Default Gateway and DNS settings, but that did not help.  I also reset the WinSock after using command promt in DOS.

Before all this, I had tried restarting my PC and my router, which made no difference.

It seems to me that this might be a common problem (connection to network with wired access to the internet but no wireless access to the internet).  Does anybody know the logical steps to determining the cause, and/or finding a solution for this?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Mike.

-question by Mike P

Wireless network connected, but no wirless internet access.

Wireless Router Problems.

Hi,

I have just got a new Belkin and+ router, and it appeared that things were fine when I installed the software for my wired PC (with XP), except that one step said "internet not connected" although the internet light (like a world globe icon) was on, AND I had access to the internet with this wired PC!!

However, the last step in the process asked me if I could connect all my wireless computers to the network. So I installed the software to my son's PC (uses XP in another room) and tried connecting this PC. The "computer icon" in the system tray said connected and "very good signal" but no internet access with Internet Explorer 8. Same problem with daughter's laptop (running Windows 7), but this did not connect to the internet even with my older NetGear RangeMax router (although the wireless PC did).

I tried changing the IP addresses to manual from dynamic (as previously set) and put in the correct Default Gateway and DNS settings, but that did not help. I also reset the WinSock after using command promt in DOS.

Before all this, I had tried restarting my PC and my router, which made no difference.

It seems to me that this might be a common problem (connection to network with wired access to the internet but no wireless access to the internet). Does anybody know the logical steps to determining the cause, and/or finding a solution for this?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Mike.

-question by Mike P

So from what I'm understanding here, you can connect to the wireless network itself but there is no Internet access to the PC?

Try restarting the cable/DSL modem for your ISP and/or do a power cycle on it. Make sure that you don't have a MAC address filter or anything of the sort that would prevent any other clients from connecting to the network. If you have a WEP/WPA key, try disabling it and then connecting to the network. Try repairing the wireless connection for the PC. Log into your router using your wired PC and check to see if the other wireless PCs are actually connected to the router. Flash the latest firmware for the router and update to the latest drivers for your wireless hardware.

Try all of that. I know that wireless networks can be a pain in the neck... I hope that you get this issue solved within a "timely" manner. :) Can anyone offer any more input?

Belkin router and HN9000 Hughesnet modem issue.Wireless Router Problems.

I was told by Belkin tech support that I need to bridge my modem in order to get it to work properly. My internet connection is intermittent through my router.  I called hughesnet and they wouldn't help me.  Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated. 

your wireless signal constantly dropping with your Laptop?Wireless Router Problems.

I had a simular problem with my laptop connecting to my secured wireless router. When I powered my laptop it would connect, and after a few minutes it would suddenly disconnect. I would have to either reboot my router or my laptop & then it would connect for a few minutes, then again loose connection.

To correct this problem I set my up NetGear cg814wg router to accept only wireless connections with trusted  MAC IDs.

In XP Home/Pro to get the MAC ID to your laptop goto "Start/Programs/Accesories/ Command Prompt". A DOS window will come up. Type In "IPConfig/all" Look underneath your wirless card description & write down the "Physical Address" , this series of letters & numbers is the MAC Address for that paticular card (eg: 00-xx-0x-00-00-0x).

Connect your laptop to the router via an ethernet cable. In IExporer enter your router address (mine is 192.168.0.1) and depending on the router you have, goto "Wireless Settings". Then look for "Wireless Card access List" , "SetUp Access list" or something simular where you can enter trusted MAC IDs .

Afterwards save or apply the new settings to the router.  Disconnect the ethernet cable from laptop and try accessing the wireless network. In my situation this worked, and I have not had any problems staying connected. I hope this information helps someone else with their connection problems. 

-reply by Gary Thomas

answer: Cannot plug in your wireless routerWireless Router Problems.

Things you will need besides the Modem & router:

(2) ethernet cords/cables.

(1) Manual/Software for D-Link Router (DIR-628)

Disconnect power cables to Modem & router.

Next connect the Cable to the Motoral Cable Modem. Then insert one end of the Ethernet cable into to the "Ethernet" port of  your Motoral Cable Modem and the other end into the "internet" port of your D-Link wireless router ( DIR-628 ).  and then with another ethernet cable insert it into Port "1" and the other end to your computer.

Reconnect power cables to Modem & router.

Do not try to access the Internet immediately. Wait a few minutes for Modem & router to access the internet for their IP info.

Start up computer and open Internet Explorer. If you connect, Enter in the explorer address "192.168.0.1". You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. By default the username is Admin, and the password is blank. Click the Log In button to log in to your router. From there you should be able to set up your Wireless network.

Hopes this info helps.

-reply by gary thomas

Wireless network connected, but no wireless internet access.Wireless Router Problems.

Depending on your internet provider/cable company, usually they prefer you declare and subscribe to them (for a fee of course) when connecting more than one computer, especially wireless computers to the network.  Cox is one of the bad guys who do this.  So occasionally, they will send some kind of signal to your router to try block this capability of multiple devices accessing the internet through one router.  Therefore, only the wired PC works at that point. Usually, they sense this when you change routers.  DO NOT CALL them.  Call your router company instead.

You can try talking to the router (on the browser address bar, type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 - don't remember which one is Belkin's.  You will need to spoof your MAC address, write it down and use that same MAC address for all the wireless devices in your network so that you fool the cable/internet provider into thinking that only one PC is using the connection.

If you call Belkin, they will walk you through on how to do it.

Good luck!

Help!  I bought a hP COMPUTER I have problems with the internet connection as soon as I get connected after a few minutes I lose connection I check eveyrthing and  I keep having problems over and over.  My sister has her computer working no problem with her internet connection my sons works fine.  My computer has to be setr up every time I getr on and it is so fustrating cause it drops off all the time.  Why does it and ot stay on?  Help me please.

-reply by Amelia L. Bray

2wire wirelessWireless Router Problems.

I have a 2wire modem which is connected to my PC by an ethernet cable and a laptop with a wireless card. In the past couple of days as soon as I start surfing the net using my PC, my wireless laptop signal drops and I loose internet connection on my PC as well. It takes about 3 minutes to get the signal back but the same happens as soon as I use internet on my PC. Using PC or laptop alone wouldn't disconnect the internet access. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Ray

d-link dsl2640rWireless Router Problems.

I am trying to connect my wii to my d-link 2640r router but with no success I cannot even get an access point. I am on aol. My laptop works fine wireless but not my wii ! please help! 

-reply by alan

HP Pavillion DV6T no wirelessWireless Router Problems.

How HP can make a product that can't connect to wireless internet is beyond me.  I've spent 2 hours on the phone with the same problem.  Sees the network, connects, then disconnects. It connects to some other wirelss routers fine, but at home my netgear wgr614 v5, it wont connect.  HPs product seems good other than that.  But why the hell would someone need a computer that can't access the internet? India customer support is useless, in fact after one "update" I got the blue screen everytime I turned on my computer.  There are no easy fixes available by searches on the HP site, and I've installed every driver known to man.  Also, the wired internet connection only works at 10 mbps on some LANs.  HP, you ****.  Hire some Americans and get your heads out of your asses.  Forget abotu sending me my $50 rebate, just get my wireless internet working.  A Toshiba and 2 Gateway notebooks connect fine in the same house.

-reply by Eric