xisto Community
paulmason411

Help Needed With Excel Formulas

Hi guys,

Here is an example of what my table looks like

person		   amountjoe			   23fred			  45fred			  32joe			   11 fred			  16

I want to calculate the total amount that fred is responsible for.
I'm not sure how to use the syntax for excel very well, so i was hoping someone could help. Cheers.
Edited by paulmason411 (see edit history)

ok, in excel you have collumns and rows. that's all you need. ok i'll guess that the total amount of fred is cell B4+B5, i'm not sure but it seems.Now to use the formula you'll need a blank cell, D3 for example, select the empty cell and write:=B4+B5now press enter and it's done. =)Greetz~Jo?o Lopes

I assume you want to total the values for a certain person in that list.
If so, look at the function DSUM() used in an Excel Database. The Database is a collection of rows and columns in the Excel worksheet.

name	value		name			name	me	1		me	3		you	60you	20						me	1						you	20		DSUM(A1:B7,"value",D1:D2)				DSUM(A1:B7,"value",G1:G2)me	1						you	20

I hope this helps.
PM me with your email address if you would like a copy of this Excel file. It can not be attached to the Forum Posting.
I have attached a pdf that might be easier to understand than the Forum posting.

*file sent by email*

db_sample_1.pdf

Excel also features Auto Filter.Auto Filter creates drop down menu according to each column's value. So for example, creating Auto Filter for your table, you can click on the drop down menu and you'll find (All)fredjoeAt the end of your table, add a SUM formula that tallies up the column value, i.e. =SUM(B3:B7). Without a filter the sum of all number in B column will appear. Once you use the Auto Filter drop down process, the same SUM field will only add up values of fred or joe.For more on Auto Filter in Excel try searching on the internet. Auto Filter is the most widely sought out feature but least likely used solution since the majority of Excel users rely on LOGIC formula than filtering process.