xisto Community
anwiii

Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I called them a couple of weeks ago and they quoted me 27.99 for the first 6 months and then 52.99 for the remainder of my contract, which was for two years. I agreed on these terms, so I scheduled the installation. This morning, which is two days after the install, I decided to check out their website and look at my account information. They already have my 1st bill listed and the charges are more than what was quoted. I called their middle eastern customer support and they offered to take 10.00 more off of my bill for the second six months, which brings the monthly bill closer to what I was quoted. But they wouldnt do anything for the second year, which means my monthy charge will be about 25.00 more per month than I was quoted.Also, when the installer was here, he couldnt get it working on one of my TV's. He told me the TV is too old. It worked just fine with comcast. So yesterday, I had to go out and buy a new TV. I wanted to upgrade to an HD anyway, so I wasnt real upset over that.Dish charges 10.00 per month for the remainder of the contract to cancel. My intent at this time is to keep it for one year, while the price is fairly decent and then cancel after the first year and just pay them the 120.00.My advice to anyone that is thinking about getting Dish. Get all quotes in writing up front. Also, the installer will ask you to sign the contract before he begins the install. If I knew that my TV wouldnt work after installing the equipment, I wouldnt of signed the contract, but since I already did, there was nothing I could do. So I wouldnt sign anything until the work is done and everything is working.He also placed wall jacks in open areas of the wall, rather than hidden behind the TV. The installer did a rush job and when it came time to show me how to use the remote, he ran through it real quick, as if he had someplace else he had to be.By the way, directtv is worse, so I wouldnt go with them either. If you call directtv, they will extend you contract if you make any changes to your service, or even if your box goes bad and it has to be replaced. As bad as Dish Network is, DirectTV is 10 times worse.My local cable provider, which is Comcast, has raised their prices like crazy. Those are my only options, so maybe I'll just buy a roof antenna!

Hi ,I feel your pain.I am just beginning my battle with dish network.They say one thing then bill you for whatever they want to bill you for and are charging me for stuff I already paid for. 

Dish Network TheftDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!I called to cancel HBO on 2/12/09 and convert my paperless bill to a paper bill.Here it is 10 or so days later and I get the bill in the mail. I guess they got upset I canceled HBO so they up and signed me up for a 5.99 protection plan.

Have I had a problem  with dish network? Sure. I made my payment last month with a check,  like  I always do. I get a computer phone call stating there is something wrong with my payment.  I  call  them and I am told  the check they have received is no good. Meaning  that there is no  such account.  To clear the bill up I give them my credit card number.  I then ask them to send me the check I wrote. I am told that it has already  been sent back to me. I never got it. I called back 2 weeks later asking about the check. I am told it was not sent but it will be. I never  got it. I called again and spoke the ***** from hell and was informed  that  the check can't be sent to me. Of course I asked "why not?" she  replies "security reasons" I call the corporate office today and  I am told that he check has been destroyed  for security reasons.  I was told that the $10.00 fee for this bad check would be waved. I received the new bill today and wouldn't you know it -it's on the bill. This is  not the first problem I have had with these people it's just the latest one. My other stories are much to long to write. When you call these people they just talk over you. My best advise is to you -if you have to deal with these liars speak to a man. Every man should  know you cant win a argument with a women.

Don-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: dish network corporate office

Shafted By Dish TVDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

Replying to iGuest-Dominick J. DiNoto

Well, Dish TV was not a good deal for me. I bought a bundled package with AT&T; it was sold as a bundle but if you have any questions AT&T will refer you to Dish and vice versa. In my case, AT&T botched the DSL installation and could not get it straight in a reasonable amount of time; I lost work over that debacle and I had to return to Cable to get internet access (and I work at home and need it to do that). I gave AT&T a chance to make it right and they decided that they would rather loose the business than send someone out to do what the first installer failed to do (that being to simply install it and make sure that it worked). I cancelled DSL which was no problem but AT&T left me high and dry with Dish.I should say too that the Dish TV installer botched up his installation as well, we did not get all of the channels, he put the DVRs in the wrong locations, when we tried to use it was incapable of sustaining a connection and the interruptions of service were frequent and annoying to the point of making unpleasant to watch TV.I cancelled the contract and given the manner in which everything was handled, I did not see why I should be billed anything since nothing ever worked correctly and I'd lost enough work already not that they cared about that. When I called customer service the first time they were very rude; getting a manager on the line only afforded me the opportunity to speak with someone who was even more rude than the first person. After getting help from AT&T, that was all supposed to be cleared up. Today I got a bill for the cancellation (for the services that never worked) and in spite of what I read here about the $240 cancellation fee, I was actually billed $328 in cancellation fees and the itemized statement did not list any equipment costs of services, it was just a list of numbers with prices next to them and none of it made any sense to me.As for customer service. When I called them I tried to resolve this and they flatly would not even entertain the notion of dropping the fee. I told them I would like to take them to court to settle it and the only information that Javier (employee ID ZUD) would give me was that they were somewhere in Texas and that was all he could tell me; he would not give me any information on how to file a complaint or take legal action against them. I have found that evasive people and evasive companies such as Dish TV generally have good reason to be; they are crooks.Dish TV, a huge mistake for me.

-reply by Shafted

Dish network have been robbing me for almost 12 months.

1. They charged me for connection fee. I only lately found out that thisCharge was not supposed to be applied to my account. Never was refunded. FirstMonth I was charged $162.67 (Connection fee + first month charge)

2. Additional fees:

$22.00 to $22.84 for 2 Premium Package which INever order.

DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) $5.99 which INever order.

Programming Access Fee -  $5.00 which INever order.

I only started looking at my bill after they charged my account anAdditional $25.15 for updating the smart card or the DVR in January. Which INever requested or received. This was refunded to my account after talking withCustomer service. Smart card update is a freeService provided by Dish Network.

Spent almost two hours on the phone in late January to get partial refundFor additional services that were added to my account and for the DHPP to beRemoved from my account. 

My February bill was over charged again. I am tired of their services and amConsidering a new service. My actual bill was suppose to be around $55 everyMonth.

Dish Network added on additional services that were never in the contract. IHave been robbed of almost $400 from dish network (additional $32 for 11 months+ 83.04 for set-up fee).

If you do decide to go with this service or any other services please ensureThat you check your agreement with your first month's statement. DON'T DO AUTOPAYMENT. Ensure that you check your monthly bills.

Be carefulDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

Hi,

Dish network have been robbing me for almost 12 months.

1. They charged me for connection fee. I only lately found out that thisCharge was not supposed to be applied to my account. Never was refunded. FirstMonth I was charged $162.67 (Connection fee + first month charge)

2. Additional fees:

$22.00 to $22.84 for 2 Premium Package which INever order.

DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) $5.99 which INever order.

Programming Access Fee -  $5.00 which INever order.

I only started looking at my bill after they charged my account anAdditional $25.15 for updating the smart card or the DVR in January. Which INever requested or received. This was refunded to my account after talking withCustomer service. Smart card update is a freeService provided by Dish Network.

Spent almost two hours on the phone in late January to get partial refundFor additional services that were added to my account and for the DHPP to beRemoved from my account. 

My February bill was over charged again. I am tired of their services and amConsidering a new service. My actual bill was suppose to be around $55 everyMonth.

Dish Network added on additional services that were never in the contract. IHave been robbed of almost $400 from dish network (additional $32 for 11 months+ 83.04 for set-up fee).

If you do decide to go with this service or any other services please ensureThat you check your agreement with your first month's statement. DON'T DO AUTOPAYMENT. Ensure that you check your monthly bills.

-reply by Dish Guest

Dish Network naughtinessDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

More than a year ago our phone company began offering Dish Network as an add-on to the phone service. I signed up for a service level that offered (among many other channels) Fox News, our primary channel of delight. The initial fee was $300 in three payments of $100 each. A very competent installation contractor showed up and quickly set the system in operation.

He and I then began to check out channel availability, primarily looking for Fox News. Neither of us could find it, so I immediately told him to de-authorize the service, which he did. The total time it was working was five to ten minutes before we switched back to cable.

I then recited my sad story to the phone company, and was informed they could only transfer me to Dish, which they did. Dish was of no help, but accepted my decision, telling me I must return the key parts of the system, for which they would send me an authorization number and packaging. After well over a month the packaging and labels arrived, and within a few days I sent the gear back through UPS or FedEx or whatever.

In the meantime we had been billed for $100, which my wife inadvertently paid. We contacted the phone company, which again expressed its sorrow but palmed us off on Dish. I contacted Dish and spoke to a skeptical representative who forced me to repeat my tale several times, either because he couldn't understand something so simple, or because he hoped to catch me in a mistake. He eventually accepted my version of things?or so he said.

Well, wouldn't you know it, they never refunded the hundred bucks but instead dunned us for the "balance" of two hundred, eventually sending us to various collection agencies. In addition, they claimed we had cancelled the service after having it for two months, evidently using the date they received the returned equipment rather than the date of installation.

I realize that many people try to cheat TV providers, but that hardly excuses their trying to cheat us. I'm ready to join a lawsuit.

-reply by Richard

The 2 premium packages are HBO and Starz which you got -free- for your first 3 months and if you don't want them, call up or go online to dishnetwork.Com and cancel it.

-reply by dexi

Dish will not tell you what your contract will cost you.Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I was going to sign up with Dish. The special price was going to add up to $690 for 2 years, a good chunk of change, not the top rung either, but was wary so I asked them what will my entire cost be for the 2 year contract? They went and asked and a few times he came back with evasive answers. I kept asking and finally he said they could raise the advertised rates at any time. So I said give me a range of how high it might go. No, was the final answer we cannot tell you what the real rates will be on the contract you are signing. So I did not sign. There is a lot of great programming on the web, and more all the time. On air digital converters give me 55 channels in LA. </p><p>No matter who you sign with, make sure you ask them what the entire contract will cost! Good luck.

-reply by mike Culhane

DISH NetworksDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

With no more than 1,000 months in a lifetime, half of them already gone, I am still, despite all of my achievements, able to understand the exquisite stupidity of spending money on television when there is SOooooOOOO much to do in this life. 

A) If it sounds too good to be true, it most assuredly is.

B) With monthly contracts, there are almost ALWAYS hidden fees.

C) Those $70 per month is far more than you realize, over time. Rather than spending your money on yourself, why not find creative ways to invest it in yourself, so that it grows for you? One example: When SIRIUS hit 5 cents per share, my girlfriend invested $1,000 on 20,000 shares, and my neighbor invested $600 to buy 3,000 shares. Now, in less than thirty days, they've made ten times their money back.

This site gets multiple stars from me. The more you know, the wiser your decisions tend to be. Before you buy ANYTHING new, just type the name of the product or service next to the word "scam" or "drawbacks" in any search engine. 

LEARN MORE SO YOU CAN LIVE MORE. Invest rather than spend.

EVERY DOLLAR YOU INVEST RATHER THAN SPEND WILL GROW TO TEN AND A HUNDRED DOLLARS EACH. GO AHEAD AND DO THE MATH. In 1998, I was so pissed at the oil bastards that I dumped both cars and all three motorcycles. Over the past eleven years, this has saved me tens of thousands of dollars which I've invested and grown... And I am so sexy as a result of ten thousand bicycle miles. No one laughs when I show up for six-digit meetings on a bicycle, because I'm accomplishing five different profitable things at once.

Thank you, Anwii, for shining light on truth. STANDING ovation!

-reply by Del Miller

depositsDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I used to have Dish.  I enjoyed it and it was more reliable and cheaper than the local cable company.  and then I moved.  I packaged up the converter box as they asked me to do and a local represenative came over and picked it and the remote up and all was well.  Six months later they still were having problems with my account as they were still charging me for my monthly charges.  When I finally got them to stop that I then asked for my deposit back which they had billed me for $25.00 for.  well then they charged my account with out asking me [i had to give them a chg card to get it going] for another $75.00 and told me they had never received the box back.  When I sent them in a copy of the receipt for the picked up box they told me that they had never gotten it back and the receipt was a fake.  So I got the local represenative to write them a letter explaining it and then I got a letter back telling me that thiscompany had never worked for them even tho they had installed it on my house with Dish's contract .  Bottom line Dish owes me $100.00 and I have more than made up for the $100.00 with bad publicity and lost customers so far but they still owe me the money..

Funny thing that the same *BLEEP* that told me to give the box to the local company was the one that told me that the receipt was a fake.  Yes sir the very same slurring *BLEEP* that has worked in customer relations for many years now.

Great American company rip off those you can't do honest business with.

-reply by Bruce

if they are claiming that company isn't a sub contractor for dish or affiliated in any way, then argue right back with them claiming that the contract was never valid and you should have never been billed in the first place if what they say is true. i posted a # and a name in the beginning of this thread. it's a contact in their colorado headquarters.

also, when anyone cancels dish, i would do two things....or at least ONE thing. first, i would send the recievers and such directly back to dish. when you cancel, they send you a box and a mailing label. pack it all up yourself and bring it to the post office. if they claim they never recieve it, it's up to the federal government to investigate and i doubt dish will argue with them if the post office claims they delivered it. dish only likes to argue with the smaller fish.

the second thing i would do is call your credit card company and tell them you lost your credit card and would like a replacement. they'll give you a brand new card with a different # where dish will never be able to charge on it

after i had my problems with dish network, i stopped paying them 3 months before my contract was due. i reported my card stolen, i called them up stating my intention not to pay, and told them that if they want their stuff, they can come down personally and pick it up because i am not wasting my time packaging stuff for them. i had already wasted hours of my time on the phone with them arguing about my bill almost every single month. well, they never picked up their stuff and they weren't able to charge anything on my account.

if you feel dish network is scamming ya and using fraudulent advertising and sales techniques, get creative and good at playing their own game so they can't crew you over. even through all the agrevation and time wasted talking to their under trained staff, you will still leave them with a smile on your face knowing they couldn't get the best of you.

deposits

Dish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

<p>I used to have Dish. I enjoyed it and it was more reliable and cheaper than the local cable company. and then I moved. I packaged up the converter box as they asked me to do and a local represenative came over and picked it and the remote up and all was well. Six months later they still were having problems with my account as they were still charging me for my monthly charges. When I finally got them to stop that I then asked for my deposit back which they had billed me for $25.00 for. well then they charged my account with out asking me [i had to give them a chg card to get it going] for another $75.00 and told me they had never received the box back. When I sent them in a copy of the receipt for the picked up box they told me that they had never gotten it back and the receipt was a fake. So I got the local represenative to write them a letter explaining it and then I got a letter back telling me that thiscompany had never worked for them even tho they had installed it on my house with Dish's contract . Bottom line Dish owes me $100.00 and I have more than made up for the $100.00 with bad publicity and lost customers so far but they still owe me the money..</p>

<p> Funny thing that the same *BLEEP* that told me to give the box to the local company was the one that told me that the receipt was a fake. Yes sir the very same slurring *BLEEP* that has worked in customer relations for many years now.</p>

<p> Great American company rip off those you can't do honest business with.</p>-reply by Bruce

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

dish netjerkDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

This company is a real scum bag and a 1st class scam with legal license to say the least, its a bait and switch scam. $9.99 to sign up with no card but you have to buy equip. For $99.95, what a scam and they can advertise this and all is legal. 

-reply by ke johnston

Dish Networks customer (dis)serviceDish Network - Scam Scam Scam! Do Not Trust Them!

I have Dish Network as part of a bundle with my AT&T service (they're now bundling with DirectTV, and I can see why!)

I will admit I paid my bill late, but I did pay it, and all of my AT&T services were restore, then well after office hours for AT&T's billing department, they turned my dish service off.  I was unable to negotiate there (un)intelligent voice response system, so I turned to their online chat.  After several "allow me 2-3 minutes to access your infomation" that turned out to be more like 5-6, I was told that they could do nothing since AT&T's billing department was closed -- I can understand that, but what I can't understand is why they would wait until the billing department was closed to turn my services off!

Everyone, do yourself a favor and avoid Dish at all costs!