xisto Community
deepod

Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp Networking Problem

I have set up a wireless network between my two computers one vista and one XPI can access the shared files from the vista machine on the XP PC but I cannot access the shared files or printer which are on the XP PC via the vista oneI don' think it is a firewall issue. Can anyone help please it is driving me mad??:rolleyes:

Stating which versions of Windows XP and Vista would have been nice... otherwise I'm going to guess your problem instead of troubleshooting it.I'm going to assume you have HOME edition for both. Vista is bit complex when it comes to sharing. The one key for XP is that you must share at least one folder for non-XP operating system to allow sharing of files.Vista offers default sharing folder called "PUBLIC." This is similar to "Shared Documents" on XP. Make sure that XP is sharing at least one folder, i.e. Shared Documents, and do the same with Vista. Enable your sharing rights under Vista and see at least you have the chance to view networks around both computers.To share printers, you must designate the printer to be shared by going to network connections > share files and printer. Enable your printer to be shared by going to Printers and Faxes and designate which printer (profile) to be shared.At some incidences you may have to install network printer driver on your Vista machine (again, assuming XP machine is spooling for shared printer job).

I have setup my laptop with XP Home Media edition using the wizard (defaults MSHOME). In addition I set up C drive to share files and printer. I use a crossover CAT5 cable to connect the two PC. I can share between XP to XP PC's without any issues. I cannot share with Vista Desktop PC??? Vista sees all the PC's in the house when clicking "view network" . I can access my laptop XP machine shared files using Vista in the wireless mode only? I have my Vista desktop pc configured with Discovery,Public and Printer sharing selected to ON. Vista desktop will communicate with XP laptop but XP laptop does not see the Vista PC. I disable the XP machines Wireless Lan, an as expected Vista Cannot see the XP machine. QUESTION. How do you configure the Vista desktop PC to utilize the hard wire CAT5 crossover cable thru the Ethernet Cards?? My objective is to connect both PC's (laptop and desktop) using their respective Ethernet Cards and the Cat5 crossover cable. Details please. example select networks, right click,next, finish and so on. thanks-igator-I gator

It seems again be the computer browsing services issues.Try this step to see if it works.Create a shared folder on Windows VistaOn Windows XP computer, type the following command to access the foldor on Windows Vista Computer.Start Menu -> Run -> \\[windows-vista-computer-name]\[your shared folder name] and press enter.This should work without any issues.PM me if it still don't or post here.

Make sure you have permissions set for both computers, after that if you can't access the printer or files, or whatever, try to shutdown the firewall/anti-virus...If it solved the problem, input on the firewall/anti-virus the ip/ip-range you use on computers to access the printer/files.Give some report of the situation.If you solved, tell how you did it.Greetz~Jo?o Lopes

Well sadly i hav enever figured out this problem, i have always had to cope with.. since i have more then one pc, i put a file on the other pc, then go onto the pc i want to file, connect to the other pc that i put the vista file on, and take it :DI have 4 windows XP home addition PCS (well one is Proffessional) and one Windows Vista home premium pc.. im still t rying to figure it out :)

I have a small workgroup network. All machines are XP professional rather than one vista business machine. On all the machines I can share the printers and the files. On vista machine I can share the files, but not the printer. The vista machine finds the printer, but when it comes to adding it, I get an error "Windows can not connect to the printer.There is not enough memory to complete the operation. Please close some programs".Please help. It is driving me crazy-pooria

Sharing printer

Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I have a small network with xp's and one Vista laptop. I can share files and printers with all except my vista laptop cannot see any printers. Suggestions?

-question by User1

networking vista and xp machines

Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

Replying to deepod

I have the same problem. I networked my vista machine with my xp machine. I can see my xp machine and open files and print but I can not see my vista files. Were you able to resolve this problem and if so, how. Thanks, ron

Thanks!

I had to drag my printer upstairs and plug it into my Vista pc to get the drivers to load.

Then I had to delete the port and re-create it.

Finally it works!

Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp - Networking ProblemSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp
magiccode9   solutions worked for me!

he said to do the following...

"It seems again be the computer browsing services issues.Try this step to see if it works.

Create a shared folder on Windows VistaOn Windows XP computer, type the following command to access the foldor on Windows Vista Computer.Start Menu -> Run -> [windows-vista-computer-name][your shared folder name] and press enter.

This should work without any issues."

thank you  magiccode9  after hours of searching you simple yet highly effective solution worked!

Cheers!

Networking Vista and Xp TogetherSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I have been trying to network windows Vista nd Xp professonal together, likewise shearing the Printer together, so that I can print from anyone, but I was unable to get it right, the main problems is coming from Vista. Can anyone help me out pls.

Thanks.

-reply by Okunola Rotimi

connect vista and xp by WLANSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I also need help here. I have 1 laptop with vista home premium 64bit and 1 pc with xp pro sp2. 

I want to connect them with WLAN.

I already use this :

Start Menu -> Run -> [windows-vista-computer-name][your shared folder name] and press enter.

I also disable the firewall and anti-virus, but it still didnt work. It didnt show anything in the network.

Please, help me. This is really frustating, especially when transfer my work from laptop and pc.

Thanks a lot.

Ps: has anyone try to use direct peer to peer? is it work? 

i canSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

hi guys

I have a small network and 1 workgroup, many computer shared some source on this network (file and printe) and these cilents installed windows xp but my comuter has a VISTA Ultimate Operation system and I can't access to the printer from Secretary computer (installed Windows XP) and all computer can access to this printer and work properly but I can't add this printer on my pc (vista Ultimate) . When I gana select "add Printer" and next to same step can see the printer (share name is "hp1010") but when I wana add and answer to the install driver suddenly see error "Adding the Printer connection failed . The local printer spooler service is not running . Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

please suggest me how can I add this printer on my pc.

Special Thanks .

-reply by Arash