xisto Community
chassidydawnn

Wolves As Pets

Owning Wolf dogsWolves As Pets

I just stumbled across this web site regarding wolfs and wolf dogs.  I've owned wolf dogs for 18 years now and they have been my best friend.  They are very loving, but they are not for everyone.  A person has to be responsible with fencing, etc. You can't let this type of animal run free.  They will get into trouble.  They can acquire a taste for chickens.

I have 2 males that would give their life for me.  I hope that would never happen. I live on acreage and no one can just show up quietly.  My wolf dogs are the neighborhood watch and they will let everyone around know that a stranger is there.  A wolf dog is not dangerous.  It's usually the owners negligence.  Don't leave things to chance.  Any dog can be dangerous.  Just don't be irresponsible.  Take care of your dog.

My first 2 wolf dog pups were from a family with children.  So these two loved kids.  My others were born in families without children and we have no children so they just aren't used to kids.  It's always how an animal is raised.

Also when you take a wolf or wolf dogs, be prepared to have it for LIFE!  These animals become very attached to you and do not go with other people willingly.  It will take a long time for a wolf dog to accept a new family.  They will long for that family or person.  A wolf dog will always try to find it's original owner and will try to escape. 

reply by Melody Jones

I think one can onley judge about if wolves ase bad or not if you have kept them yourselves.

Why do I find that people who loves wolves have already kept them but people who is against them does'nt realy know much about wolves except what they have seen on TV or in movies.

I'm getting a timberwolf female in a few day time

-reply by Carla

Hi!@chassidydawnnI think the idea of having a wolf as a pet is kinda cool. Wolves look very pretty and it would be nice to have them around.I would advise extreme caution when dealing with wolves because they are harder to domesticate and can be unpredictable. Also, if a wolf has been bred in captivity, you may not be able to set it off into the wild due to its upbringing. In some parts of the world, keeping wolves as pets is illegal so you might want to make sure what you are doing is completely legal, both in the place you are currently living in, and in any place you might want to move to in future.@iGuestI completely agree with you that when a person gets a pet, he/she should be prepared to keep it for life. Abandoned pets lack the survival skills that a wild animal should have, due to being bred in 'captivity'. Many animal care organizations also suggest people avoid feeding stray animals because when they move away, the animals wouldn't have the foraging or hunting skills needed for survival.-Nitin

Availablility?Wolves As PetsWhat would the availability be of two pure white Mackenzie Valley Timberwolves, 1 male and 1 female for breeding purposes?-reply by Walter M Kelliher

Breeding WolfdogsWolves As Pets

Before anyone decides to breed, they should have spent time in rescue. More than 100 Wolfdogs a month are in peril due to breeders who are greedy or uneducated and do not care about animals. Most people have no business owning a Hamster let alone a Wolf or Wolfdog. Most people who claim they have a Wolf DON'T.  Most people who have Wolfdogs have no clue what % or what they actually have. If you don't know the lineage of your animals, and need to ask advice on these chat boards, the best advice isGET YOUR DOGS SPAYED & NEUTERED.

WOLFDOG.NET

we have plenty that need homes

-reply by Steve Easten

I have a Mackenzie Valley Wolf named paris and we are about to start breeding her does anyone else know anything about breeding wolves that might help us out? We are very excited about this? We are looking for people with more Mackenzie Valley wolves because they are extremely rare does anyone know where some are other than in west texas?

Aloha, wow very interesting. In 1987, I was living in Plano,TX. I had a siberian husky(2yr old) being fond of animals and living alone I decided to add some housemates (four legged ones). In the (grenleaf classifed) I came across an ad regarding wolf- wolf/hybred shepards. The name of the kennel was "Dysart's Wolf Kennel". Long story short- I purchased a 90% Mackenzie Valley wolf/hybred(shepard) pup from them. The laws have changed regarding buying and breeding wolf dogs as to what they are specificly I don't know. I do suggest that you check out the legal responsibility first just to protect yourself . However you dicide I think you might still be able to contact Charles Dysart the person whom I trust would be your best source. Remember the show Mutual Omaha's Wild Kingdom? The host (Merl Olsen) well, It was through him that Charles Dysart purchased a pure Makenzie Valley Wolf and over the years bred some of the finest wolf/shepard hybreds. Awesome security dogs. I met two of Charles' best- "APACHE and CHEYENNE". Thanks for allowing me to share, but seriously before you start call around , get several pro/advice, and really plan t out. These are wonderful creatures (Wolves), and deserve our respect as breeders/and or owners.. Huge responsibility. Good luck, Mahalo..

I have a Mackenzie Valley Wolf named paris and we are about to start breeding her does anyone else know anything about breeding wolves that might help us out? We are very excited about this? We are looking for people with more Mackenzie Valley wolves because they are extremely rare does anyone know where some are other than in west texas?

I had a Makenzie when I was a kiddo my Mama got her from a guy named Dysart. She was amazing! But she was very "pack" oriented. My understandinging is that the best to learn from is Mr Dysart and accordint to the Obits he passed away a few years ago. I have been looking for one here in NC actually going to look at one tomorrow for my boys. I will Never be able to replace Lokie but maybe I can find one that will imprint with my boys like she did with me.

Do your homework! These are amazing animals but the must be given an Amazing amount of respect also!!

No one should be owning and especially breeding wolves or wolf hybrids

Wolves As Pets

I'm sorry to be harsh but this is ridiculous...A wolf is a wild animal, they are not like dogs that have been domesticated for hundreds of years. A wolf hybrid is even more dangerous because they don't have a fear of humans as a true wolf would. THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE PETS AND THEY DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS. Seriously people, think about this and give your heads a shake. They do not make cute and cuddly pets. Anyone who is owning or breeding a wild animal (conserving an endangered species is different) and call themselves true animal lovers are hypocrites. If you were a true animal lover you would know where WILD animals belong and are happier and that's the best place for them. Lol I can't believe people sometimes.

-reply by xxJESSICAxx

I grew up with a wolf a a pet, you are clueless, sorry. She was an amazing pet and she protected and loved me and I loved her. I had her from when she was 8 weeks old until she died at 11 years old. I was a Sophmore in High School. I took her to State Obedience Competitions in 4-H and won, 4 years in a row. The year she died was the year I stopped. So don't say what you don't know!
Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Not to be rude or anything, I'm a wolf expert. First of all, nobody should be keeping and breeding wolves. Wolves are wild animals and they are not to be kept as pets. Second of all, you shouldn't breed wolves either. At least a quarter of the reason why people do not like wolves and are killing them is because people are breeding them. You see, when people breed wolves with dogs, and the dogs are aggressive and bite, people blame the wolf-half of the dog. Unless you are breeding wolves together to save the wolf species, then I'm fine with that! So here's a tip: Don't keep wolves as pets! thanks!Sincerely,Anna Lewis Wolf Expert-reply by Anna Lewis

I am sure your totally wrong, I have had one from a young pup till she pass of old age, never bit anyone, was REAL LOYAL to me and my family, very protective of my to young kids. She would watch them like a hawk and was the best animal one could ever have. The wolf in the dog makes it that much more of a family member.

Wolves are not meant to be pets, but neither are tigers, leopards, and cheetah, and you see people breeding those in the middle east. There was a newspaper article about somebody driving around a neighbourhood with a leopard in the back seat of a car and with the window open. The leopard did not pounce out at anybody or anything, but it was a careless thing to do - the owner probably wanted everyone to see the leopard cub and pet owners in the vicinity would have been concerned about the safety of their own pets, considering that a leopard generally preys on other animals while in the wild.
When dealing with part-wolf, part-dog species, it is hard to attribute the aggressiveness to the wolf half because it might even have been the dog half. Dogs attack people and we hear about them every month and it is not because they were half-breeds. There are some breeds of dogs that are prohibited in some parts of the world because they are known for their aggressiveness. Some dogs have been taken away from their owners and put down because the authorities determined that the person was not a capable owner and would not have been able to keep a check on the animal and keep it from becoming a danger to people and other animals around. There are cases in which capable owners have been targeted too, out of excessive precaution.

There is certainly a wide range of opinions on this topic! I did notice quite a few that think it would be "cool" to have a wolf hybrid. These are the ones that would worry me the most. This attitude is far to casual and does not take the possible consequences of owning such an animal into consideration. Jumping into something just to be cool without knowing what you are getting in to is never a very good idea. And owning a wolf to look cool is nothing like current fashion trend to wear your pants hanging half way down below your rear end. While this "cool" fashion statement might cause you to trip and fall down and bruise your ego, having a wolf as a fashion statement is a whole different thing. A lot more dangerous, not only to you but to the people around you. Seriously people, wolves are not fashion statement or something to do for social status. They are dangerous, unpredictable animals that 99% of the general population has no business owning. But you do have that 1%. I disagree with the poster that spouted off the usual animal rights dribble about how 100's come into rescue and nobody should breed them. Yes, if someone gets one because it's cool and then later finds out what a huge responsibility the animal is it could end up in rescue, which is certainly sad for the animal, and should and can be avoided by making the general public understand what is involved with owning a wolf. Not condemning everyone for breeding them. Several people have commented on how wonderful their animals were, these are the 1%er's that probably knew what they were getting into and knew how to handle the wolf. These folks should not be prevented from having what they want because of the stupidity of others. Education is the key here.

I thought wolf type dogs was called a husky and it is legal to own one (an old family friends who was friends with my parents years ago had two)

they are very strong dogs and not the sort I would recommend for most people nice dogs but very strong and fast.

as for

k_nitin_r's comment there is a big difference between a wolf and a tiger, leopards, and cheetah for one a wolf can be tamed whereas a tiger, leopard and cheetah can never be trusted even if you rear the animal from a baby they will turn on you with ease and another thing a tame wolf will most of the time just be like any other dog whereas a tiger is NEVER going to be and never should be looked at as just a ***** cat they will turn on you as quick as lick you.

Back in the early days, wolves were a fashion statement, but only the dead ones that they could wear as apparel. Later, having a live wolf was seen as trendy. In the middle east, it is 'cool' to have a tiger, a leopard, or a cheetah as a pet. There are people who fit in with the norm and only have peacocks and peahens as pets, and some people breed saluki dogs too.
According to an article from Discovery, one of the animal behavioral experts describes that wolves, leopards, tigers, and cheetah have a fear of humans, which leads to their aggression. However, dogs lose this fear of humans when they have social contact at an early age. Ignoring the genetic make up of dogs for the point of discussion, stray dogs that were not brought up close to humans can probably be treated the same as wolves.
Conventional wisdom would make us wonder why animals that are twice or thrice as large as humans, have sharp teeth and claws, and are much faster on foot have a fear of humans. It is probably their search for food that drives them to prey on humans, most likely because their natural habitat has been destroyed or the other animals that they typically would prey on have been wiped out because of ecological changes.