xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

My Braces

First of all, I guess I should let y'all know that I am a metal mouth. And I hate it.I wasn't supposed to have braces untill one toothe grew in behind another tooh and now has to be pulled into place. And if anybody here has had them they know how painfull of an experience this can be.Well yesterday, I got my bottom braces on, which I didn't even need, because my bottom teeth are pretty straight. Well, little did I know they would hurt 4893409837618745615.392 times worse than top braces.Well I play the saxophone, and I couldn't play today at all.At lunch today we were having burritos, wich they always seem to slightly burn, okay watever. Well I couldn't chew, because my teeth hurt so bad and my gums were swollen. But I attempted to eat anyways. Well I try and try and try and try, and eventually, the burrito start to fall apart. So I give up and do something that would make my great grandmother turn over in her grave. I can not believe I came to this, but I couldn't chew through the tortilla, so i my friend suggested that I suck the filling out.Well me being a Texas, southern girl, I try to be as ladylike as possible, so at first I said no. Well, I didn't reallize that they did not give us a fork or spoon or spork (Which if you don't know what that is it is the bastard child of a spoon and fork :P)Well coach agust yells over the loud speaker in his self important voice "five minutes untill we dissmiss." So I do what I said will make my great grandmother turn over in her grave. I start sucking the filling out of the burrito. It was hummiliating, but me being an athelete, and having to be at school at 7:15 in the morning, I need the energy that comes from a lunch time meal which will be used in the morning time, or i will get light headed. So then I tear off the tortilla apart to get some carbs.I just wish they made a less painfull way to straighten one's teeth.

Yeah, I have braces, too. They suck. I got my top and bottom on at the same time and couldn't eat solid food for a week. They cut up your mouth and are extremely painful. And after all that is said and done for a while, they give you rubber bands to put in. This brings more pain but not quite as much as the initial amount. They also try and stop you from eating a lot of things... Overall, braces are one of the worst experiences of my life. I really want them off.

Yep, sounds familiar. It's always bad the first couple days but it does get better, I promise. When I got my lower braces they hurt the same amount as the upper ones. Maybe the doctor did something wrong. :P Now I'm just scaring you :DJust give it a few days, things will get better with your mouth.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!j/k Anyway I do not know how you feel but I can understand your feelings towards them. My cousin used to wear them and he had a really tough time with them at the beginning but he got used to them.You just have to hang on to your seat and enjoy the ride. I guess you will grow to accept them after some time :P

Welcome to your awkward teenage years. I had the unfortunate luck of getting glasses, braces, and a really bad perm all at the same time in the 6th grade. :P
You'll want to stick with soft foods the first couple weeks of having braces because your mouth will be sore and cut up because it's not used to all that metal. Eventually, your mouth will get used to it. Hell, I played the saxophone when I had braces. I think they have this wax stuff that you can put around your mouth to make a bit of a barrier against your braces. You should also invest in Carmex. I used to have a bunch of those little jars all over the place. It's a great lip balm, but it also cools, soothes, and heals. It's great on cold sores, which is why my friend suggested it when I got all cut of from my braces. Another piece of advice is to keep using the retainer after you get your braces off. I promptly "lost" mine a few months after I got it, and my dentist says I probably need braces again to straighten my teeth out.

I also had a terrible experience with braces. Back when I was 13/14, I used to play ice hockey until I had an accident where my front teeth were knocked into the top of my jaw. It looked like they were completely knocked out but xrays prooved otherwise. After a surgury to get em back down I had to wear braces for about 2 years. I HATED them. Worst two years of my life. I hope the pain goes away soon :P

Well I play the saxophone, and I couldn't play today at all.

I play the sax too but I started after my braces were off so I never experienced any trouble. Do you play alto, tenor or berry?

Mmm... I had braces for two years, and, yeah, they really suck, but the payoff is worth it. I even had to have two teeth pulled, which I didn't like very much for obvious reasons, but, hey, my mouth looks wonderful now, so I'm happy that I got braces, even though I couldn't eat and all that stuff... Just hang in there!

I had my braces when I was in the fifth grade. Like I wasn't a big enough dork before the mouth full of metal, right? *sighs* But at least they were just on my upper teeth.I didn't eat at all the first day because it hurt so much. Soon, though, I was eating soup and letting things melt in my mouth. Plain M&Ms are really good even if you CAN'T chew them. Oh, and milkshakes. They rock too.Just make sure that you do a dry brush after lunch. Otherwise, the food that stays stuck in there will drive you out of your skull for the rest of the day.

@ FolkRockFanI wasnn't even supposed to have braces untill this one tooth came in in the roof of my mout :D it hurt so bad. And I wasn't supposed to have bottom braces but the movent of my top teeth caused my bottom teeth not to fit to well... oh well.I tried convincing my mom to let me have a milkshake for supper the other day but she said no, so I had to eat solid food with you have no idea how much it hurt :P But the lunchline at our scool only sells solid foods =/ oh well.And we aren't supposed to hhave tooth brushes at school because i think they are considered a weapon *laughs at the stupidity*Anyways, I just hope that soon they come out with a less painfull method to straigning one's teeth.@ 4l3x7h3pr0gr4m3rI play the alto sax but i might be playing the tenor later this year... we havent had tryouts for it yet...But it is very painfull, because if you have a stupid band dirrector like i do then you don't have chair tests, and so you are seated by alphebetical order, and I happen to always play the lower parts.

I did braces about 2 years ago. i don't have much problems with food cos' I had a permanent diet of mashed potatoes. It wasn't so bad cos' I ate less and I lost some weight. My problem with braces was that they kept giving me ulcers at the beginning of every month when I changed them. And of course, they looked horrible. I'm glad I went through it though, cos' I have nice straight teeth that are less prone to plague now, and I can floss my teeth properly :P: So it was worth the pain and trouble!

I always knew braces would get people some kind of a problem. No one really told me what they were but it was just plain common sense that some metal in your teeth can't feel good. XD

But I never knew it used to pain so much! Well, but didn't the dentist already advice you the methods to stay away from the pain? I mean the advice that take non-solid foodstuffs for some weeks and all? That would've been helpful. As advised by people who've gone through this before, try to intake only non-solid foodstuffs for a while, milk would really help if you like it. Just hang in there for a while, in the end you're on the receiving end! :P

Well me being a Texas, southern girl, I try to be as ladylike as possible

Friendly advice, screw that. Do what you'd be comfortable with.

You'll get used to it after a few days. When I got braces in 6th grade it was annoying for the first 3 days. The pain was unberable, I couldn't eat my sandwhich for lunch :P

I even had to have two teeth pulled, which I didn't like very much for obvious reasons

Didn't they numb your teeth? Thats what they did with my tooth when I had to get it out since it was a baby tooth blocking the adult tooth (looked really weird when u smiled). The numbing lasted for an hour or two, and when i was in the dentist office while he was talking, i started drooling randomly and i couldnt stop it lol

And we aren't supposed to hhave tooth brushes at school because i think they are considered a weapon

Toothbrushes are a very dangerous weapon. You can easily poke an eye out if your not careful!

Luckily i got my braces off 1-2 yrs ago, and my teeth were beautiful of course
Edited by mojoman (see edit history)

I feel for you am  going on 3 1/2 years of braces them cutting up in the inside of your mouth is total pain. Don't worry though just keep thinking it will be worth it in the end :):)

xx

I just got bottom braces two days ago and they hurt like HELL!I am about to get them off because my bottom teeth are straight anyways and its not worth it, no body even sees your bottom teeth!My mouth is cut up and swollen, and I have really small teeth so it hurts BAD. People say they cut they whole time you have them :/ Maybe my mom will be nice and let me get the bottom off! 

-reply by Kristen

Will I get an infection from braces cutting up my mouth?My BracesI got bRACES yesterday and I already want them off. I cant eat solid food, cant smile, close my moth, talk or even open my mouth too wide without my mouth hurting. This is the worst pain I have ever had. Please if anyone has evidence on what to do it will be greatly appriecated. I have tried the wax and warm water with salt rinse and neither have haelped. I have also been taking tynenol every four hours.-question by margaret