xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arza1

Poison Ivy! any home remedies to get rid of poison ivy? I need help

Really? I always thought it was contagious by contact... hmmm maybe not. In any case some people are really sensitive so it doesn't go away for a long time. I'm not very sensitive so I don't usually get poison ivy bad, but my uncle is so sensitive he can get irritated even from normal ivy.

Moogler is right. It isn't contagious. The only time it can be spread is right after contact with the plant. Once the contact has bound to the skin, it won't spread. Cortisone, either by injection or pill will stop the reaction promptly. If you have had the rash for a while and it suddenly starts getting worse with oozing, more redness, pain or streaks, you may have a secondary infection. That is more likely if you have really been scratching at it.

how do i get rid of poison ivy? Fast?

Poison Ivy!

I have poison ivy really bad. And I was wondering if anyone knew what the quickest way to get rid of it was? thanks!

-question by ada22222

Well, here

Poison Ivy!

I think I just got it as of 3:00. I came home, did the rubbing alcohol thing, then did cold water, then took a shower with lots of soap. Is that the only thing you can do?

I hope it goes away. I think I quelled poison ivy. Go me.

Thanks for your help.

-Nick

-reply by Nick

i dont know if its bad or not

Poison Ivy!

I have it on my face and arms. I cant tell if its bad because of the different points of view everybody has. When I used calomine plus, it kind of hardened over the rash but in a hour or so it would itch again. If anybody hasa really good fast and easy way of getting rid of this pioson please tell me

-reply by heather

I also ended up with poison any help HERE???????

Poison Ivy!

I am itching like crazy and I try not to scratch but it's SO hard to avoid. Any help . My relative has me on allergy medicine and this Clear anti itch stuff to rub on the affected areas but nothing seems to work!

Help PLEASE!

And before it gets ANY worse!

-reply by Jourdanne

Unless you had somehow washed off the oil BEFORE your body started reacting, then there's really nothing you can do to prevent it. As for the itching, you just have to take your mind off of it. Cold compresses work, as does calamine lotion...but ONLY for a short time. Generally for 1-2 hours. Other than that, you'll have to go see the doctor, who will prescribe a certain dosage of cortisone (usually oral application; aka pills), based on how bad the rash is. Just try and stay cool, as heat will cause the rash to itch more.For me, taking a fan and fixing the airflow on the affected area helped not only reduce the itching, but actually kind of scratched it for me, due to the air. So try that, if you're desperate. But if it's really bad, go see a local doctor. I can suggest as much as I like, but nothing beats getting checked out by a medical professional.

Poison Ivy Info

Poison Ivy!

Hi all,

I've been struggling with poison ivy for 4-5 days now and finally got to the doctor this morning. Here is some helpful info he told me:

1. It does not spread once you have it --from the oils I mean. The way you initially get it is from the resin on the leaves of the plant, which can be transferred from a dog playing in the yard to touching you fyi. You are not contagious and cannot give it to anyone, but you better wash the clothes you had on while in contact with the plant. There is a chance that the resin that got on your clothes is still present and could still affect you.

2. No matter what you do, it will last from between 1-2 weeks. The best thing you can do is try to dry it out so it doesn't itch as much.

3. Calamine lotion works well to help dry out your skin, oatmeal baths (packets found in the baby aisle at Walgreens or other stores) work well to reduce itching, and so does hydrocortisone cream. Also Benadryl is good for numbing you up. I've been using it overnight, because it can be slightly *challenging* to function on the stuff while working.

4. You can go to the dr. To get steroids to REALLY help. They come in either shot or pill form. It reduced my discomfort and the itching by over 50% for me today. And it's only been a day.

It absolutely sucks, but is not nearly as bad when it doesn't itch that much. I wish I wouldn't have waited 4 days to go to the doctor.

I have it on my face arms and legs, and I got this spot on one of my hands where there is this kinda big blister. It is about 1/2 cm wide.I read somewhere that if the blisters were uhge I should see a doctor, but I don't know if that blister is big enough for me to go to the doctor. Theres a few others a bit smaller.Also, theres this black thing in the middle of my rash on my wrist and idk if it is part of the poison ivy problem...Has anyone gotten one????..The black thing?-reply by Jessica

IT

Poison Ivy!

I have had poison oak for 2 weeks. I think I also might have gotten it from my grandmas. Now it is spreading to other parts of my body. It itches really bad. My mom wants to take me to the docter because she thinks that it might not be poison oak. WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!?!?!?

-reply by Country girl

poison Ivy

Poison Ivy!

So I have poison Ivy for the first time in my whole life and it had better be the last!! It is hands down one of the worst experiences of my life! And I've had 2 kids. No joke. So I tried just about everything and all it did was spread and get worse. I finally tried the baking soda paste and I was absolutely amazed by the results. After only a few hours I felt amazingly better and the effected areas were visibly better. The itching actually became torlerable. Just wanted to share my experience with every1

-reply by Beth

Replying to iGuestI get it every year! sometimes all three at the same time, or ivy and oak at the same time.The trick is egg whits, I kid you not, it feels funny when it dries, but it dries out he oils and stops it frm spreading, cover the rash completely then lay in the sun if you can, this relieves the itch, but it dries it out as well. Just DO NOT itch it. Scratching it opens the blisters and the oils spread to other spots, No matter what people say, it does spread, I know I have been getting it every single year for practical my whole life and I have to visit doctors a lot because of it. And I have it right now. That why if you have ever had it before you have probably noticed it spreads in lines(where you were scratching)I hope this helped-reply by Grrrl

Other method...Poison Ivy!

I've heard of a few things to help out with the sting of poison ivy, I currently have it as well.  As far as scratching it, it actually just goes into the blood stream and spreads that way, so scratch away, if it's in your blood stream it's staying there any way.

When thinking you have it, wash with tecnu, works pretty good for getting most of the excess oils off, after that use Calamine lotion, that stuff that turns you pink.

Another one I heard was of the Baking soda, which I will definitely try tomorrow, tell you my results later on that.

The final thing I heard was to take hot showers, of course work up to the hot from cold or luke warm to whatever you can stand, I've found that that does indeed help clear it up for a bit...

Other than that, hairspray works as a dry method mixed with sunbathing, for those of you going the cheap some what longer method, this is rather good at getting rid of it.

-reply by Axel