xisto Community
musicfreak

I Love My Neighbor, I Get Free Internet From Them

Even though I live way out in the middle of nowhere - as in: out of range for anybody but the neighbors across the road to even get a signal off my router - I secure my home network.Why?Because I'M paying for it. It's mine. If somebody else is too cheap, too dishonest, too whatever to pay for what he or she wants to use, then that's his or her own problem. Not mine. I'm not a good Samaritan when it comes to Internet access. It's not a necessity in this day and age, when you can get free wifi just by taking your notebook to Mcdonald's. (Or go to the public library. Even our podunk branch has Internet-ready computers.)I'd give somebody food, or water, or some other necessity if I had it and s/he needed it...but people who can't be bothered to get their own Internet access...or at least ASK BEFORE they use somebody else's...bug me to no end.One can argue that "It's the owner's fault for not securing the router/network." But that's not really a good argument. Is it the car owner's fault if she's carjacked because, hey, she was driving in the city with her doors unlocked? No. She doesn't deserve to be ripped off just for having something that a thief wants.

one of my friends would drive around town with his other friend's laptop on and when they hit an unencrypted wireless network they stop and use it

You might think you're clever going on an unsecured network until you find out they are running a good packet sniffer like wireshark and now have all your passwords and login details without you realising.I use wpa2 on my network with a strong password which will drastically slow down any potential intruder long enough to decode someone elses encryption key or find an unsecured network.If you are seen piggybacking the network (via them looking at the logs or the current network status) then there are all sorts of nasty things they can do to your dhcp assigned ip address. You are basically relying on the unsecured network you are going on being owned by totall n00bz.If that's the case, don't slow their connection down too drastically and they will never call their ISP to check for them (unless they have another problem that develops so you should spoof your MAC address anyway)

I use one unsecured wireless connection too. I only use it for my Ipod Touch to update and download stuff. Or check my school roster. I have no idea who the connection is coming from lol. But hey, I don't do anything with passwords on my Ipod Touch so it doesn't matter. :lol:

I used to get free internet from my neighbours... back in my n00b days lol. But now, I've got my own Wireless Router, and my internet is much faster. If your using your neighbours internet, it will be quite slow and the signal strength would usually be very low or just low. People should learn to put a password on their networks.

Go to your neighbors house and ask them to encypt a password......they can get in serious trouble if someone did something illegal on there connection...

lol I remember one of my former classmates said that she was using her neighbor's connection, much like this one. Honestly, I don't think it's a good thing, but it's more of your neighbor's fault not putting up a security to prevent the usage of the wireless connection by others.

Hahahaha! Are you serious? That's like saying, "Well, they didn't lock their door, so I just went in, watched some TV and ate some of their food. I mean, it's THEIR fault for not locking the door!" Hahahahah! :P I'm sorry this post wasn't very informative, but when I read that, I couldn't resist...

It's foolish not to lock your wifi network.

As many said, you can get in trouble if the 'stealer' of internet makes something illegal and it will be your fault for not securing the network and you could pay money. But if you want people to have access to the internet (but not the whole of it) you can let them access Gmail, Y! Mail, chatting on MSN, Google (if they search they can click on the cached link to see the content :P), Wikipedia and that's gonna be it.

I'm not leaving the access on just for some 1337 |-|4X0|> to come in and put me in trouble.

I used to use other peoples unencrypted wireless signalssometimes.I never really download much so I was neverreally bleeding away they're bandwidth. In my backyard, theres all kinds of wireless networks.No doubt some of them are unprotected.I don't have a wirelessnow so I don't know. The thing is, always have your wireless network protected.For awhile mine wasn't, and people can eat up your bandwidth in no time.

I used to do that I didn't know who was the owner of the network but I use it for a long time.. until I got my own DSL so I didn't have to worry about that anymore, you are not causing any harm... and well it is their fault for not secure their signal, it's the same like the example of your house, don't lock the door when you go out and see what kind of surprises you find when you arrive, it's your fault anyways... Now I'm living in the city so people is more careful with the wireless connections so I cannot find a working unsecured connection..

Really?I Love My Neighbor, I Get Free Internet From Them

If you ate someone's food, there would be no more food.  Huuugggeeee difference. By using the internet, you're not "taking" their connection. You're not even "borrowing" it. They have access to their internet at all times and you using it doesn't affect them. As a kid, did you ever play on a plot of land that wasn't yours? Um, it's not yours. Unless the owners of the property put up a tall fence with a "private property" sign, they would probably get visitors. Think of the sign as your username and the fence as your password.  You need both if you don't want visitors.  Did you steal their land? No. Did you borrow their land? No. You simply used it to play hide and go seek.

-reply by IdiotFree

This is so stupid...I Love My Neighbor, I Get Free Internet From Them

I am not going to lie. I skimmed through most of the comments on here and to be honest, I think about 80% of you guys are ****ing idiots, except the ones that say its ok to "steal" internet. I agree with master_bacarra 100%, its not "stealing" when they openly broadcast a signal and don't secure it, and the analogy that its the same as someone leaving the front door unlocked is ridiculous. Its not. Being able to connect to, and use, a neighbors internet is completely legal.

Walking into someones house and taking something called what people? Breaking and Entering and Theft. Look, the bottom line is that wireless internet has been out for many many years and if you have it, ****ing secure it, if you don't know how, ask someone. Using a neighbors internet is not "stealing", its more or so simply "leeching". I will agree and say that if it helps you sleep better at night, go next door and ask, the only thing they can say is no, and unless they know how to secure it (in which case they would have already), theres no stopping you from doing it anyways. Sorry if this sounds ethically unsound, but if you don't like being leeched from, lock your internet, or pay me to do it for you. :)

-reply by SparXx

but beware , Open internet ( stealing from negihbour and using ) you can be under a big time trap. You dont know to which Name Server you are, for example he may deploy a man in the middle attack by giving you a DNS server address which he runs and he can redirect packets and play tricks. The result may be devastating , like Phishing and Pharming attacks where you loose your password. So using free internet like this is fun , but Beware !! you can get cornered like anything.Be Safe Be Warned !!

If you're hopping on to a wireless network without authorization you are also leaving yourself wide open to attack. You might think you are so clever for leaching off an open network but that could be a trap and the network administrator could pwn your computer through his/her own network protocols. It's only a matter of time before you will get caught by one of these honey traps and you could have your computer really messed up, lose your identity, or worse.Personally I only use open private networks in an urgent situation. Never sit on them all day playing games, etc. Besides it's so easy to see how many clients are DHCP served and connected hosts with your pc name and mac address are all logged by the router.Bandwidth theft can easily backfire on you!

Definitely agree. It's so easy to lure wifi users to connect to an unsecured network. They think they have found a free access to free internet. Unfortunately they're not aware that the admin is sniffing on their packets.
One example is that of Cain's man-in-the-middle attack, the ARP poisoning feature. You can intercept their traffic and soon enough end up with a collection of usernames/passwords to their online acounts.

If you're hopping on to a wireless network without authorization you are also leaving yourself wide open to attack. You might think you are so clever for leaching off an open network but that could be a trap and the network administrator could pwn your computer through his/her own network protocols. It's only a matter of time before you will get caught by one of these honey traps and you could have your computer really messed up, lose your identity, or worse. Personally I only use open private networks in an urgent situation. Never sit on them all day playing games, etc. Besides it's so easy to see how many clients are DHCP served and connected hosts with your pc name and mac address are all logged by the router.
Bandwidth theft can easily backfire on you!