xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Apple Safari For Windows

Well I wasn't really expecting this at or at least for the most part so soon, but he Safari browser for windows just got it's first patched after being on the windows market in 3 days. Note that this article was posted on Thursday and I just seen it for the first time. Anyways the first patch fixes three flaws that were found, however, another security guy mentions he found 10 vulnerabilities in the browser and so expect to see another patch in next few days or next couple of weeks. Of course they were quick to burn Apple without really test the browser before bringing it online, but were quick to praise for the quick patch, strangely enough I never got a pop or anything when I open safari up, so that means you have to manually update it yourself :). So I went to the download page and it seems again that you have to re-download the browser with the updates instead of a patch so that get a :) :).

Also to note safari hit the 1 million download mark in just 2 days ;)

SOURCES
HERE
HERE

And the download link is http://www.apple.com/safari/ for this newest version.

Please note that the Safari for Windows is STILL a Beta version. The download page clearly states that they are interested in hearing from Security professionals about their testing of this browser, so changes to the code are no surprise to me.

Personally I am surprised it took them that long to release the fixes. Yes, its beta software, but it should still display basic functionality and usability. For example, including text on the menus, the address bar, the About box - in fact including text anywhere in Safari would have been a nice touch:

post-7593-1182066927_thumb.jpg

Tests for the speed of Safari have also lied, as Safari starts the onload process before the page actually loads, so speed tests for loading pages show it to be incredibly quick, some even showing a load time of 0ms! Its great to see Apple porting Safari to Windows, as it makes it easier to test websites in all browsers. However, it would have helped if they had actually tested it on Windows before they released it to the public. If anything its had the opposite effect to the one they wanted - people have downloaded it, seen it doesn't work, and will never look at it again.

Well I thought I throw in a small reminder that safari has been patch again, this for the Mac version (3.0.2) and basically they applied the same patch they did for windows but for macs. So that about it for that update.

SOURCE
Here

Apple has released its Safari web browser for Windows.

Download the Apple Safari 3 Public Beta for Windows http://www.apple.com/safari/

Now web designers working on Windows can test their designs on safari to know how they look on Mac, where Safari is the standard browser.

Apple has only 3 softwares for windows. Apple QuickTime, iTunes and Safari 3

It seems that KHTML renders much like Internet explorer as I cannot see any of my Gothic Characters on Unsaiklopedia. It it seems misrender more than it renders, but it isn't surprising seeing that it doesn't comply with web standards as much as Mozilla browsers or Opera, which I test my web pages on. Another hurdle that needs to be overcome is the fact that not all PCs have the same gamma on their monitor as a Apple PC, which uses standard gamma rather than the old CRT gamma which is used in most IBM compatibles (I personally like the older CRT gamma because it renders web pages with fuller color than standard gamma, which sort of washes out colors like #eee(it even seems to tint it slightly blue) and #f9f9f9 and makes the page appear less brilliant).

Wow cool, I heard safari browser is very good and ppl using mac really like it.. Now we hardcore windows users will get our chance to use it and test it out! I'm sure this will be a hit! :P Any ideas what are the unique features about this apple safari for windows?

Personally I don't think Safari for Windows is anything to be so happy about. After all, it's just another Apple conspiracy, no? :P