xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
reconraiders

Free Long Distance Calling From Computer To Phone

Does anybody know of a website or application that allows you to place FREE long distance calls from your computer to an actual phone? I remember there used to be a company called dialpad that allowed you to do this. I don't know if they are still around though. I think they started charging for the service. All the companies I've found require you to pay. There's gotta be a free one somewhere. Anybody know of one?

The service is probably low quality though lol. Get a job and pay the 2cents/min, or $10/month, and you'll get superior quality compared to any free service.

yeah.. most of the pc to phone services are payed services. if at all it is free, it will be of very bad quility even for a decent talking. as it is said, nothing in this world is free.tht is true here also...

Your first call in skype is free :) I use it a lot to call my mom and my brother since I relocated. I'll check the iCall and Betamax out. Skype doesnt have a dialpad, blows when you dial a service that has a voice menu.

There are actually quite a few programs out there that do free PC-to-Phone calling.

Unfortunately after my last hard-drive crashed I lost all of them, but ill do some searching

and try and come up with some links tonight. Generally the programs will give you about

30 minutes to an hour of free time a month, and then after that you would have to pay.

But im sure there are some free ones if you search thoroughly.

I dont think there are any free PC-to-Phone now. Everyone is charging for the services. Atleast I can't find any. Do put up some names if anyone finds a free PC-to-Phone calling.That would be quite useful

Actually try jaxtr.Com its pretty much a phone to phone service for free you get about 15 free calls its really cool check it out.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ by sago

I am not sure whether you have free long distance PC to Phone calls now , but i am very much sure that once upon a time we had this free calls , i remember using that too. Long back this yahoo messenger had "Net2phone" attached to their messenger service and with that we were able to call any phone any where in the globe but gradually they took away that free option and some calling card and everything came into picture. So as of now i am not sure whether we have something like net2phone still being operational which gives free calls. I guess we dont have such one , if such one was there today it would be so popular that every one will be knowing.

In the United States, long distance can refer to two different classes of calls that are not local calls. The most common class of long-distance is often called interstate long-distance, though the more accurate term is inter-LATA interstate long distance. This is the form of long-distance most commonly meant by the term, and the one for which long-distance carriers are usually chosen by telephone customers.

Another form of long-distance, increasingly relevant to more U.S. states, is known as inter-LATA intrastate long distance. This refers to a calling area outside of the customer’s LATA but within the customer's state. While technically and legally long-distance, this calling area is not necessarily served by the same carrier used for "regular" long distance, or may be provided at different rates. In some cases, customer confusion occurs as, due to rate or carrier distinctions, a local long-distance call can be billed at a higher per-minute rate than interstate long-distance calls, despite being a shorter distance.

Often, in large LATAs, there is also a class known by the oxymoronic name local long distance, which refers to calls within the customer's LATA but outside of their local calling area. This area is normally served by the customer's local telephone provider, which is usually one of the Baby Bells, despite attempts by some CLECs to compete in the local telephone market.

Callers are usually offered a variety of rate "plans" depending on usage, although which plan is cheapest for a given amount of usage is often not obvious. For example, the largest carrier, AT&T (in February 2007), offered three plans in the United States: $30 per month for unlimited calling, $10 per month for 120 minutes plus 10 cents per minute thereafter, or $2 per month and 10 cents per minute. Graphing rate vs. usage shows that the $2 per month plan is cheapest if calling 80 minutes or less per month, the $10 per month plan is cheapest if calling 80 to 320 minutes per month, and the $30 per month plan is cheapest if calling over 320 minutes per month. Smaller companies including MCI Inc and Pioneer Telephone may offer plans in similar variety at different prices. Some of these plans can be found on Web sites that compare a variety of long distance phone and phone card options, giving consumers useful and timely information.

AT&T built an interconnected long-distance telephone network, which reached from New York to Chicago in 1892, the technological limit for the wiring used. Users often did not use their own phone for such connections, but made an appointment to use a special long-distance telephone booth or "silence cabinet" equipped with 4-wire telephones and other advanced technology. The invention of loading coils extended the range to Denver in 1911, again reaching a technological limit. A major research venture and contest led to the development of the audion—originally invented by Lee De Forest and greatly improved by others in the years 1907–1914—which provided the means for telephone signals to reach from coast to coast, which was made possible in 1914, but not showcased until early 1915, as a promotion for the upcoming Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco in the spring of 1915.

On 25 January 1915, Alexander Graham Bell sent the first transcontinental telephone call, at 15 Day Street in New York City, which was received by Thomas Watson at 333 Grant Avenue in San Francisco. This process, nevertheless, involved five intermediary operators and took 23 minutes to connect. The New York Times reported: "On October 9, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas A. Watson talked by telephone to each other over a two-mile (3 km) wire stretched between Cambridge and Boston. It was the first wire conversation ever held. Yesterday afternoon [on January 25, 1915] the same two men talked by telephone to each other over a 3,400-mile (5,500 km) wire between New York and San Francisco. Dr. Bell, the veteran inventor of the telephone, was in New York, and Mr. Watson, his former associate, was on the other side of the continent. They heard each other much more distinctly than they did in their first talk thirty-eight years ago."[1] At this time, long distance calling was performed via manual patching by a series of long-distance operators in the route of the call; connecting a coast-to-coast call in this way could take up to 23 minutes.

The first customer-connected long-distance telephone call was made on November 11, 1951 when Mayor M. Leslie Downing of Englewood, New Jersey called Mayor Frank Osborne of Alameda, California using AT&T's Direct Distance Dialing feature. This was the first call dialed with an area code, using what would now be called 10-digit dialing, and was connected automatically within 18 seconds.[2] In addition to area codes, this development also came with the introduction of a national seven-digit standard for local number length.

Until the early 1980s, a called party could instantly recognize an incoming long distance call by its hiss and/or low level, due to the inherent signal loss and introduction of noise common with all-analog long-distance telecommunications circuits of the era. The introduction of digital technology such as T-carrier circuits by AT&T starting in 1961 (and adopted by their long distance networks on a larger scale starting in the early-to-mid 1970s) let long distance calls approach the high voice quality of local calls.

Notice from rvalkass:

You could also try jajah.com.I used to use this quite a bit to call a friend of mine in the US.You set up the call via your PC, but the service then calls you back on your land line before calling the other persons phone.Its a great service, and the quality is pretty good.One of the best features is the ability to schedule a call, so you can set the call up whilst as work, and then get it to call when you are back home.