xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

yes i'm using SP2 firewall and it's great...SP2 firewall and AdAware SE pro are the only securtiy programs installed on my computr and i don't have any problems with viruses or any thing similar..

I hav been trying to install windows xp sp2 but the problem is that i dont hav a genuine xp . is there any patch to enable it to be setup in a pirated version if u hav a patch pls share it with me . hope some 1 helps . and wat are the changes in the pack like wat new features hav been added?

No, no, no, guys. The best firewall isn't ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro (even though I once thought this myself), Norton, or Windows SP2. It's what about 2 of the people in this thread mentioned - Outpost Pro. Don't believe me? Check out the post that this guy made: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Also, if you go to two of the websites on that page ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and http://www.agnitum.com/index.php ), you quickly realize that ZA and ZA Pro stinks at some of the leak tests that were performed on the firewalls. Only Outpost Pro survived almost all the tests. The newest version, however, should pass all the tests because Agnitum (the company that makes Outpost) claims that their latest build should pass all the tests :)

So go and grab Outpost Pro off the shelves before it's too late! (kidding...but consider using it...I am :D )

So..What firewalls do you guys use and recommend, which do you think is the most effective, looking around on the internet there are alot of mixed favourites and it can be hard to choose, hopefully this post can help a few out.

i use NOD32 as my Antivirus, and tiny pro 6 as my firewall. i like the combination and when i have my firewall set to full security, absolutely nothing can get through. i do have a question though. is NOD32 also a firewall? mine is only an antivirus. i would like to get the firewall from them if they make one, as their systems are the best.

tell you the truth i just prefer what i get install yeah its stupid but why pay more money for somehting that will eventually get hacked into really?

oops, ignore the Nod32 :S, quite right Styx, thats an AV app. BTW, forgot to add XPs own firewall, does anybody just use that on its own?

This thread is very similar to http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?sho417&hl=firewall, but since you're asking about software instead of hardware, I'll let it slide.

The best software firewall is Outpost Pro, and I'm not just saying that - I have backup. I found a forum that talked about the best antivirus and firewall. They also did various tests to achieve these results. Relating to firewalls, Outpost Pro was the only one that performed the best in those tests. Check out the tests ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and http://www.agnitum.com/index.php ) for yourself. As you can see, Outpost killed the competition. It did not pass some tests, but, according to Outpost, the most recent build of their firewall will pass all those tests.

Outpost Pro is, unfortunately, not free. The best free firewall would be Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition and Kerio Personal Firewall 4, but since you did not ask about the best firewall financially, I voted for Outpost instead. :)

I use IPCop, this is a linux firewall. I'm running this in as a VM on my windows. It captures my network cards and all data that is going in and out is not touched by my windows but dynamicly forwarded to the VM and from there transferred to the internal network, a virtual networkcard to connect to the win xp machine or to a virtual DMZ (demilarized Zone, where i can host virtual servers...).

Yes, Norton is a MAJOR resource hog. I couldn't stand how slow my computer was when I was running it. And Avast didn't help much either. That one was slow as heck. I'm trying to find one that's pretty fast and reliable.

56431[/snapback]

I have tried Norton (Your right BIG resource hog) and I have also tried Avast. Avast was better for cleaning the viruses I caught, but Norton was better at catching them as they infected my system. In my opinion though, both Norton and Avast are too sluggish and somewhat annoying. I like AVG now. I have been using it for about two months now and it seems to be working smoothly. Since I have used AVG I have had about 50 or so virus infections and all (so far) were fixed promptly by AVG. (only one had to be quarantined)

AVG is great FREE antivirus software. Why pay for Norton when you can get AVG for free?

I'm using Avast home edition (free) because of the price: free, and because It doesn't slow down your computer so much. I must say that it isn't the best antivirus program. On an other computer I've installed Norton Antivirus 2003, and that program keeps all the virusses outside. On my alvast computer I have got sometimes a virus :)

For adware, spyware, etc.. Norton Antivirus usually picks it up, but I also run Lavasoft Ad Aware to see if I have any additional spyware that Norton didnt find. I would recommend Ad Aware