xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

i use McAfee personal firewall 6.0 don't like Windows firewall and never used it.in addition to mcafee i have the firewall on my router. though it can't be THAT good because mcafee constantly is blocking attempts.

Lavasoft SE has found adware and malware that other programs weren't able to find. i highly recommend it---besides the fact that it's totally free. there's a pro version, but there's little difference.

If you want to be safe, you can always try using the publicly well known anti virus software such as McAfee or Norton, just make sure that when you are installing your anti virus, you update it. Because any anti virus will not be effective if you don't update it. P.S: I have been using McAfee and Norton for years now, and I have not received any problem or virus....

Nice name for the topic: Searching for spyware. There are so many anti-spyware software around you can go to google and search you will find so many. The best two are Spybot and Ad-Aware.

I use PC-Cillin. I just wanted to know because with so much discussion about the antiviruses I thought the best way to find out is to know how many users use it. Isn't it? :DI think this is the largest poll. I had ot reduce some options.

I use McAfee because it was my original choice years ago. after then i tried Norton---Huge resource hogKaspersky--Good, but also resource hogPanda---got infectedSo I went back to McAfee. Since getting cable a year ago, and visiting many sites that attack your computer, I have not gotten a single virus. So i'm pretty happy with it, and "if something isn't broken, don't fix it"---i won't be in the market for another one till this really lets me down.BTW, i have found version 9 to be much faster than 8, which was a huge improvement over version 7.

I use McAfee because it was my original choice years ago. after then i tried

Norton---Huge resource hog

Kaspersky--Good, but also resource hog

Panda---got infected

So I went back to McAfee. Since getting cable a year ago, and visiting many sites that attack your computer, I have not gotten a single virus. So i'm pretty happy with it, and "if something isn't broken, don't fix it"---i won't be in the market for another one till this really lets me down.

BTW, i have found version 9 to be much faster than 8, which was a huge improvement over version 7.

56395[/snapback]

thanks for you opinion on the different anti virus programs, i have used Norton for number of years but i have found it to be unreliable and there are many viruses which it cant not remove... i found it very disappointing to find such a well known program to be so un-reliable. i havent been using an anti-virus program for awhile but i think i need to start using it soon because i believe my computer has been infected, as soon as i have the time i will go get Mcafee.

Yes, Norton is a MAJOR resource hog. I couldn't stand how slow my computer was when I was running it. And Avast didn't help much either. That one was slow as heck. I'm trying to find one that's pretty fast and reliable.

My personal favorite (and the one I use on my laptop and desktop) is Eset NOD32 v2.12.3.NOD32 is known for it's blazingly fast scans and unmatched real-time scanning speed. It has the most advanced heuristics of any anti-virus program out there, so you're better protected against the viruses that haven't been found yet. It also has the highest ranking in Virus Bulletin's listings. On my computer right now (1.25 GB RAM total) it's using 2 processes and a total of 15MB of RAM. It's usually the first thing to show up in my system tray when I startup my comptuer.I have used NIS2003 and 2004, and compared to NOD32, both turn your computer into a snail.With NOD32, you don't have the firewall protection, but I use Sygate Personal Firewall for that.Cheers!

For last one year I was using Norton but now I know what a big mistake I have done. Now I have realise that it is a big big resource hog. Last week I have started to use Avast Pro and I am pretty happy with it. The new 4.6 version uses very few resoures.

I don't think it helps much to have a good virusscan program if you don't also have a good firewall running. ridding the computer of a virus is much more difficult than preventing it from getting in in the first place. if you've got a good firewall and use firefox, you pretty much can't get viruses unintentionally.

If you want to be safe, you can always try using the publicly well known anti virus software such as McAfee or Norton, just make sure that when you are installing your anti virus, you update it. Because any anti virus will not be effective if you don't update it.

yes! one of the major reasons viruses still come in is through lack of updating the DAT files. I would recommend McAfee Virusscan and Firewall, Zonealarm Pro, and Kaspersky.I've never tried NOD32, but after what you've said, i'm inclined to give it a go.

i use nod32 antivirusit say its the first antivirus :D for more information see homepage ::http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
i like this antivirus its eally gold really scan in background and automatic update but its 30 day trial :D Its Very bad for AV software

I used NAV for years, and it worked fine... Then, I upgraded to Win XP Pro, and NAV5 just wouldn't run on XP... So, I was without AV software for about 3 or 4 months, just because I was lazy to find some AV software... I didn't want Kaspersky, just because it realy uses waaaay to much system resourcesc, even though I think it's the best AV software... During my "adventure" without AV software, I didn't get any viruses on my computer, even the small ones.Then, I found AVG had Free edition for personal use, and downloaded it, and used it... It actualy detected few viruses that tried to get on my comp, and successfully removed them, and placed them in quarantine. I now use AVG 7 Free, and it's great... The thing I like the most, is that sometimes they have several priority updates a day! And I do feel very safe with it, and I agree with styx, "If it works, don't fix it" :D And ofcourse, combined with a good firewall (AtGuard), I think I'm pretty safe from "hacker-wannabe's" :D

I use F-prot antivirus, mostly because it is pretty fast and simple, and does not eat up all of my system resources.I don't even dare to try Norton, because it really slows the system down. Sometimes it even fails when scanning outgoing e-mails, and, therefore, prevents e-mails from being sent at all! My friend (who is using it) is really annoyed by this.