xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I use Norton AntiVirus 2005, I think it sucks... I need a new, better one... What do you all suggest? I wish there was a good one for free... I'm a cheapscape :o

Avg is free and pretty fast. I have norton but the scans took the whole entier day on my 500gig hard drive. It was getting pretty annoying when i was playing games and the scheduled scan just randomly came on 3 hours erly. Then auto prtect stoped working and they wouldnt let me renew my subscription. I tried PC-cillin but it never worked with my PC...

Microsoft antispyware is probably the best becasue of its realtime proection and the fact that it detects and removes more than Adaware and Spybot... Spybot wuz the best like 2 years ago and Ad Aware doen't have many features like real time protection...

I have just discovered that I'm not the only man on this planet that use Avast!!So far I haven't find people that know this antivirus that it's , in my opinion, the best on the market. I have the release 4.6 Professional and I have used it for many years I no viruses have managed to attack my computer without being discovered and deleted by it. But I see that many of you use Norton, I think that it's the worst antivirus and the brand (Symantec) speculate on his popularity. Obviously it's very good for its revenue and it's normal for a firm to do it (My brother studies Business Administration and they teach this to students), but it's very dangerous for users that can't afford it and that become easy objective of virus or spyware.

I have just discovered that I'm not the only man on this planet that use Avast!!

I am also Avast user and I like it very much. There are 2,421,371 downloads of Avast only on Download.com at the time of this post. So you can easily think that how many persons like avast not only you dear.
Enjoy Avast!

I use ad-aware. I've heard Spybot is good too. In addition to spyware removing software, you should have anti-virus software, and preferably a firewall (although your router might do this already). The only problem I have with ad-aware is what was mentioned above about having no "check all" button. One thing to take note of: there are fakes out there; don't get caught; use reputable download sources. I would post the company's website, but I don't remember it and I'm just too lazy to look them up :lol:

Norton is good, but slow and eats resources.(And you have to set something up in order to make it quarantine when it can't repair, otherwise it just keeps asking....) McAfee doesn't have logging and it's HTML (I think) based. I use both, and am satisfied with both.

I use Norton Antivirus 2004. I have no idea what you guys are talking about "resource hog" becuase I just checked and it's using less than 2mb or RAM, and less than 1% of my CPU (I only have a 1.2GHz processor). It scans slowly because it scans deeper. I agree it's inadequate at fixing problems, because it tells me where the file is and I can delete or quarenteen it myself. :lol: I tried Mcafee one time and I hated it. Different programs produce different results on different computers, so one antivirus definately doesn't fit all. I have a four way going on: Norton Antivirus 2005, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware Personal Edition, and ZoneAlarm Firewall. Three out of four of those are free (the exception being, of course, Norton). I can't give any suggestions because I know that an antivirus that works perfect for me, might not work for you / on your computer. I would try all the free ones until you find one you like. If you don't find one you like, then you have to make a decision to buy which ever commercial antivirus you think sounds the best. Also check the features on the antivirus's website.

I think that hardware firewalls are much better as software firewalls. I'm using a Router, with firewall built in. The greatest thing on a hardware firewall, I think, is that your computer doesn't slows down, you are always protected and you don't have to update it.

Um Rakk... it's not a good idea AT ALL to tell people you only havea Router Firewall installed. I cant say if I know anything about hacking or not but just a tip... if you are seen connecting to a game or hosting and the person knows you have only a router.. your screwed buddy. It might not have happened yet but I can assure you once it does happen, your pc will be to frozen to move for DAYS.~Fuhrer Darker 333

Sygate Personal Firewall or ZoneAlarm, they are probably the best :lol: But if you have XP I think that firewall what comes with system is just fine, i don't have any firewall and I don't have any problems :)