xisto Community
Yuripro84

Caffeine Addiction Is Caffeine Really A Drug?

* Different people use different ways of quitting. What works for one person may not work for another. Try these steps in any order to see what works best for you. * Kicking it in one clear cut may work well for some, even with the symptoms. Feeling the headache and fatigue can actually demonstrate just what the caffeine is doing to your system. It does also give some an important sense of accomplishment - since some people may not notice the difference when giving it up gradually. * There is no question that the withdrawal is tough, it is very tough, but cold turkey is the best way to go. Start on a Thursday because the third and fourth days are the worst. You do not want to be at work while you are in the worst phase. The clarity you will sense when you are cleared out is unbelievable. You will feel like you had forgotten how lucid the human mind is. It is TOTALLY WORTH QUITTING!!! * DRINK LOTS OF WATER, LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. Get yourself a replacement drink, it could be water, carbonated water, juice, decaf - just something to get when the urge for a cup sneaks in. * "Postum" is very similar to coffee, but without any caffeine. Try it. You might like it. Hot Carob is another good choice (somewhat like cocoa). * Ginseng root is a great herbal alternative to caffeine, and pills of it can be found at health food stores. It is a natural alternative for your energy needs! * As an alternative to quitting gradually, you could just go cold turkey. This is harder, but often more effective. If doing this, increase your water intake drastically, it will often help reduce the headaches. The big problem with "cutting down" is that it makes you really look forward to your daily ration. A great mindset to be in when you're quitting something is to look upon it as a happy experience, not a painful one that you want to postpone for as long as possible. * Another thing to try: The first week, drink your coffee as you normally would. The second week, when you make your coffee, use 3/4 regular and 1/4 decaf. The third week, use 1/2 and 1/2. The fourth week, use 1/4 regular and 3/4 decaf. The fifth week, you're drinking decaf! * Use your strength to fight your weakness. One example is that if you are competitive, find someone just as competitive with you to compete with to see who can stay off of coffee the longest. * If you wish to reintroduce caffeine into your diet on a non-addicted basis limit yourself to one cup of tea or coffee per day, preferably in the morning and no later than early afternoon. Caffeine addiction is often born out of habit, so therefore don't slip back into the habit of reaching for a tea, coffee or diet coke whenever you feel like it. * There is caffeine in lots of drinks, not just the dark ones like coffee and cola. Stay clear of energy drinks and be careful with tea. You should make a habit of checking out the ingredients of what you eat and drink so you don't sabotage your efforts. * Chocolate and other cocoa derivatives contain caffeine. If you're serious about getting off of stimulants, you may consider quitting chocolate as well. Caffeine concentration is directly related to the darkness of the chocolate. For instance, a milk-chocolate bar will have much less caffeine than a dark chocolate bar[1]. * With headaches being the most common (and severe) symptom, watch out for caffeine laced headache remedies, such as Excedrin. Interestingly, caffeine is an ingredient in many of the most frequently used prescription headache medications. * Decaffeinated coffee does contain a minimal level of caffeine. While it may serve as a stepping stone, do realize that continuing to consume decaffeinated coffee does not constitute quitting caffeine. If you enjoy hot drinks, look instead for no caffeine products such as herbal teas or even soups.

I am sorry about this mail. I came across this and thought this must get some attention from coffee addicts in this place(that includes me).This is one of the last things that we want to hear.If you are stressed from your day's work and think that your coffee vending machine is going to help, you are wrong. Caffeine and sugar will not do any good to you. Sugar suppresses the immune system which in turn lowers your body resistance and Caffeine adds to this by creating a negative response on your nervous system and causes trouble (lots of technical details about immunity, bugs etc. I have just shortened it)... So, think twice before your next coffee break...If you do not like this, you should at least consider reducing your consumption.Did i say "Coffee will not do any good to you"?Sorry, i was wrong. A lot can happen over coffee. :lol:Source: A blog and few more blogs to confirm.

I am addicted to coffee; can't start a day without it. I first started drinking it while watching Gilmore Girls and now I can't quit.Even so I don't feel it's affecting all that much me in a negative way. I am more aware and I have a little more energy after I drink it, but I'm not nervous or irritabile. Of course I don't drink a large ammount, just one cup.I think that coffee could be considered a drug because it creates an addiction, but it's not as damaging as a real drug.

Caffiene is definitly a drug.I have to have it in the morning.I don't know what I would do if I didn't. Yes.It does give a definite adrelenaline rush.It seemsI'm used to having three cups everyday and if I don'tI have this constant craving for it.

Yea, I drink about 2-3 2 liters of coca-cola a day. I get really bad headaches If I don't. But I don't get any energy from them, probably because my body is so used to it, it like just expects it now. I'm not really trying to quit it.

caffeine is definitely a drug, like you said a CNS stimulant. It also targets the 'reward' pathways in your brain so that you associate caffeine with positive effects and therefore crave more. That also means there are withdrawl symptoms when you stop drinking caffeine like headaches etc.Of course the toleration thresholds for caffeine for different individuals vary.Personally if I drink one can of redbull or V my hands start shaking, it has a really strong effect on me, whereas other people can drink cans of it or many cups of coffee and still be perfectly normal.