xisto Community
tonydatiger

Gas Prices Soar And Americans Are Still Proud Of Their V8's When are Americans going to get rid of their gas guzzlers?

After the rises of gas prices over the last couple of years I've realized that very few people in the United States have made an effort to purchase smaller, and more fuel efficent cars. Maybe its not part of American culture? Since its always been pushed by motor companies to purchase the big hot rods, or the huge engine SUV's and trucks. I not only find these cars unattractive, but find more fuel efficent cars very appealing to me and my pocket. I guess it is also the market's fault. In Europe and wherever else gas is expensive and people are money concious, you find cars that do 60 miles per gallon and such. You can even find the same cars we have in the U.S. but with efficient diesel fuel engines. Just last year, some motor companies in the U.S. have started to advertise that they will be bringing in those diesel engines. Oh well. I know my first car has to be a VW Rabbit TDI. It will be small, but it'll crush your excrusion's gas mileage.

Edited by tonydatiger (see edit history)

I have noticed the same thing. People adjust their budgets really and decide that the high prices are the new regular prices. Although 15, I can remember when it was around just $1 a gallon but people have gotten used to the near $3 a gallon around here. As for me, when I can drive I'll be looking for the cheapest but most fuel efficient car available for money saved up. Hybrids are nice but the batteries cost $3000 to replace after many years of use. I think the Toyota Corrola or the Camry recieve near 60 miles to the gallon though, or maybe that was hybrid. I don't know but my family are into saving fuel because you can use that money for other things like vacation?

I swore to myself I wouldn't buy another vehicle with a gas motor in it. It's all diesel from here on out. Even my new ATV, which I'll be buying very soon, will have a two cylinder diesel engine. I'll be buying a diesel holding tank for storage here and a smaller tank for the back of the truck to transport off-road diesel and bio-diesel from town. Bio-diesel is the way to go if you can, clean, cheap, and very nearly the energy per gallon that petro-diesel contains. Next on the list will be a truck to replace our Toyota but the new truck will have either a Cummins or Powerstroke in it. Then, the luxurious ten cylinder VW Touareg will occupy the space next to the truck in the garage replacing my old reliable Passat. Then we'll have 11.6 to 12 Liters (and 18 or 20 cylinders) of Diesel motor displacement and fuel economy to enjoy! I can hardly wait for my little revolution....

I've been driving a VW for about a year now, albeit a gas model, and it travels along just fine and quite fuel efficient, too. I parked the pick up for the winter because it is more costly to operate and I didn't need 2 vehicles, so I saved on the Insurance as well. The pick up has a 300 motor, 6 cylinder but the chassis weighs twice what the VW does... only problem is the carrying capacity of the car is considerable less, but there is always a trade-off.

Though-out my visits to other countries and I believe there is a sociological correlation between the size of the land and the civil construction. Greater the land to explore the wider the civilization would spread out and build more loose boundary around themselves. Limited the land and resources the higher the civilization would build up, trying to maximize the limited resources. This is typical for Hawaii, Japan, Hong Kong etc. There are few exception to my observation when an island is isolated from outside influences.The Great Frontier, once the America's West was called, was discovered by pioneers exploring whatever there was left to explore--we all know the Columbus and Lewis and Clark stories. Americans, the settlers, were eager to explore and discover the new land. And the father's exploration was pass down from a generation to a generation. I remember when I was younger my father would gather BBQ things and pack us up for a weekend grilling at the great outdoors. And still today, whenever weather is great, I do the same with my friends. So I believe a brief retreat from the ordinary is embedded with many Americans--at least for me.To travel great distances you would need the comfort. So designing a vehicle that would be both comfortable and get there fast, the American car concept was born; build it strong, give more power and don't forget the carpet interior or sometimes leather. :) It is not only the symbol of certain men's inadequacy (ha ha) but the more power you have in a car the more you can tow and carry. It's the expression, "a caveman moved out of a cave and moved into a condominium but travels back to a cave for vacationing."And to contrast that to an island or limited land space, you hardly ever need to get there fast or with a such wide vehicle. Therefore, I believe that naturally the innovation and practicality out weighed speed and status quo.

I disagree on the V8 and agree with the SUVs.I do however, think it's important to note that above everything else, driving style is what matters in terms of fuel consumption. True, a hybrid is more efficient than a conventional engine, and an alternative fuel tops the hybrid, but there are other factors beyond engine type and size. A properly tuned V8 can be more fuel efficient than a factory tuned engine of a lesser size.Let's start with SUVs. SUVs are reasonably used in areas where they are needed. Unfortunately, they have also become another "latest trend". If you live on a mountain buy an SUV, if you live in the desert buy an SUV, if you live in suburbia buy a car! I'm sick of these downtown corporate dorks who drive their Escalades ten blocks to and from work. SUVs are not bad cars, it's the people who misuse them who are the bad link.As much as I agree that SUVs are superfluous, I disagree with phasing out V8s. Singling out V8s is wrong. There are examples of low emission V8s such as Mustang's Alcohol engine. True, alcohol is not a viable technology but it is just one of the strides in such a direction. Consider this: if suddenly tomorrow there were no engines bigger than Honda's hybrid. What would happen to all the trucks we depend on? What would the police cars and ambulances have? What would be used for the heavier usage such as towing?

Edited by Renaissance (see edit history)

I have noticed the same thing. People adjust their budgets really and decide that the high prices are the new regular prices. Although 15, I can remember when it was around just $1 a gallon but people have gotten used to the near $3 a gallon around here. As for me, when I can drive I'll be looking for the cheapest but most fuel efficient car available for money saved up. Hybrids are nice but the batteries cost $3000 to replace after many years of use. I think the Toyota Corrola or the Camry recieve near 60 miles to the gallon though, or maybe that was hybrid. I don't know but my family are into saving fuel because you can use that money for other things like vacation?

Heh I'm 15 too. I'm glad to find another person my age that's actually concious about these issues. I believe the Corolla and Camry must get at the most 30 miles per gallon, but the Prius (Hybrid) does get those 60 miles per gallon. And I know that the hybrid car batteries are a set back. Bio-diesel and diesel are the way to go! Now that sulfur levels have been adjusted here in the U.S. there are great things to come. My brother owns a VW Jetta TDI and he gets around 45 miles per gallon. Pretty sweet.

VW makes exceptional cars, especially a conventional SUV with a diesel engine.

I also agree that people in the city need to buy smaller cars. There's no need to have a vehicle doing 2 miles per gallon in the city. And I also realize that fleet cars such as ambulances and such need big engines, but do most regular citizens? Even fleet cars, like for example, mail cars, should have efficient engines with maybe ethanol or something of the sort.

I agree with the mail car thing. One thing to note.In my international business class we discussed the government banning the sale and/or use of SUVs in the city. The obvious and deciding factor is that the government does not have the right to shift the market. It is one thing to ban cars, but to ban SUVs gives the companies in the smaller car market an "unfair advantage". I know it sounds dumb that the government can't "discriminate" in such a case, but it is part of a "good with the bad"...

I agree with the mail car thing. One thing to note.
In my international business class we discussed the government banning the sale and/or use of SUVs in the city. The obvious and deciding factor is that the government does not have the right to shift the market. It is one thing to ban cars, but to ban SUVs gives the companies in the smaller car market an "unfair advantage". I know it sounds dumb that the government can't "discriminate" in such a case, but it is part of a "good with the bad"...

In a free market, people vote with their wallets. If this were truly a free market economy, things would be different, but the corporations and their lobbyists own the politicians to a great extent, so we're still stuck in the age of petroleum instead of the age of Hydrogen and bio-diesel and we're still forced to drive cars with inferior technology instead of driving cool cars like what they have in Europe like the 10 cylinder diesel VW Phaeton or the diesel powered BMW or many many other better cars then we can buy here.

The U.S. is (allegedly) a capitalist country. If some consumers actually *want* to spend 80, 100, even 120 bucks filling up their SUVs, then that's their business.Personally, I don't want another SUV. The last time I had one, gas prices were much lower (about two bucks a gallon, if I recall correctly). I might love the way that they handle. I might really adore the way that some SUVs look (I drool over the H2 even though I cringe at the same time because I think of the gas bill). But I make my choices based on what I'm able, and willing, to pay. :)I do, however, need a pickup. The roads out here aren't paved and are full of potholes, jagged rocks, et cetera. Cars do not last long, so ground clearance and durability drive me to look for a vehicle that will actually meet my needs. It's just a good thing that I've always been a truck type of person *grins*I would not, however, turn down the opportunity to own a hybrid pickup, or some other type of truck that somehow gets very good gas mileage :)

I too hate that stuff. It is such a waste of cash. I prefer the smaller types, but the faster ones. Like corvette, lexus, etc. I really like the foreign cars the best though. I really don't like seeing every where i go, minivans, trucks, and monster trucks(ones with their wheels raised). It gets old after awhile, and they are just hideious and don't even get good mileage. I don't see any point in them after all.

The U.S. is (allegedly) a capitalist country. If some consumers actually *want* to spend 80, 100, even 120 bucks filling up their SUVs, then that's their business.
Personally, I don't want another SUV. The last time I had one, gas prices were much lower (about two bucks a gallon, if I recall correctly). I might love the way that they handle. I might really adore the way that some SUVs look (I drool over the H2 even though I cringe at the same time because I think of the gas bill). But I make my choices based on what I'm able, and willing, to pay. :)

I do, however, need a pickup. The roads out here aren't paved and are full of potholes, jagged rocks, et cetera. Cars do not last long, so ground clearance and durability drive me to look for a vehicle that will actually meet my needs. It's just a good thing that I've always been a truck type of person *grins*

I would not, however, turn down the opportunity to own a hybrid pickup, or some other type of truck that somehow gets very good gas mileage :)

It doesn't stop the government from rewarding those who drive fuel efficent cars with a tax break, and increased tax on those who do not. It's that simple, and if they do that then maybe the american auto industry wouldn't be in the position it is in now.

I do enjoy my small block v8 GMC. I couldn't live without it but that's because I live in Texas and have to drive through fields a lot. Plus, all the girls think it's sexy.I wish it could use E85 but I don't have the money to add the technology. Car companies should include E85 technology with the base price of a vehicle so everyone would use less gas. But money money money!

In a free market, people vote with their wallets. If this were truly a free market economy, things would be different, but the corporations and their lobbyists own the politicians to a great extent, so we're still stuck in the age of petroleum instead of the age of Hydrogen and bio-diesel and we're still forced to drive cars with inferior technology instead of driving cool cars like what they have in Europe like the 10 cylinder diesel VW Phaeton or the diesel powered BMW or many many other better cars then we can buy here.

My point exactly. Its a combination of both I'm guessing; government influence and American culture.
By the way...VW Phaeton is a beast of a car. Especially with a diesel engine. I've been to the factory where they make them in Germany.

I agree with the mail car thing. One thing to note.
In my international business class we discussed the government banning the sale and/or use of SUVs in the city. The obvious and deciding factor is that the government does not have the right to shift the market. It is one thing to ban cars, but to ban SUVs gives the companies in the smaller car market an "unfair advantage". I know it sounds dumb that the government can't "discriminate" in such a case, but it is part of a "good with the bad"...

Ofcourse, yet it should be in each individual's head that it is not smart to buy these SUV's in the long run. Although in Europe they don't have this issue because there's a century long conciouceness for fuel efficency in part of the individual citizens and government.

The U.S. is (allegedly) a capitalist country. If some consumers actually *want* to spend 80, 100, even 120 bucks filling up their SUVs, then that's their business. Personally, I don't want another SUV. The last time I had one, gas prices were much lower (about two bucks a gallon, if I recall correctly). I might love the way that they handle. I might really adore the way that some SUVs look (I drool over the H2 even though I cringe at the same time because I think of the gas bill). But I make my choices based on what I'm able, and willing, to pay. I do, however, need a pickup. The roads out here aren't paved and are full of potholes, jagged rocks, et cetera. Cars do not last long, so ground clearance and durability drive me to look for a vehicle that will actually meet my needs. It's just a good thing that I've always been a truck type of person *grins*

And like I commented above, it depends greatly on the individual. More people need to realize what you say, and although the chicks love them, they're killing us.

Man it is definately sky high, I gased up this past weekend at $3.12 I could not believe it.. with a 17 gallon tank I fille dup almost at 52 dollars.. it was incredble.. I was like ohh no.. And then ot to mention we were out of town ast week.. and well over 200 in just gas only...this really sucks