xisto Community
XeNoToSs

Windows Long Horn? dunno...its wut i hear

You people don't releaze that longhorn is not it's name!! it's code named Longhorn, they probably won't actually call it that. They did it w/ XP too, though I can't remember what it's code name was. Anyway, I have yet to try linux, but I fail to see how it can be more stable the windows, at least on my machine, because I have never gotten a full crash! The worst that has ever happened is a 3rd party app has locked up, and I had to ctrl-alt-del it. As for the visual effects, it's trying to compete with Apple. And for the redesigned kernel and whatnot, it won't be redesigned, or else it wouldn't be backward compatible. It'll probably have a compatibility mode, similar to XP's, where apps not designed w/ the fancy 3D GUI and the improvied process seperation and whatnot can still run. Just my guess, from seeing what they've done w/ XP.

Windows XP was a follow-on OS for Windows 2000 and the codename was Whistler. if they hadn't changed it to Windows XP you would be calling Windows 2001.

ha lol i just got my new amd athlon -64- hahahahaha lol, i cant wait the whole reason i got my new comp is bc of longhorn, maybe a beta will come out! that would be cool, if you no of any beta that might come out, plz pm me bc i will love you! ha anyway im so anxious, gl to u with it i cant wait myselft!

You should download the 64 bit edition of windows XP so you can harness the full power of that 64 Bit CPU

48318[/snapback]

is it a good os, bc i was gona, but can i run all my games and crap. is it cool? bc illl have them send me a cd if it is.... thx jon

Yea my uncle runs it on his 64bit and he says its just like the 32bit windows XP, and i havent herd of not being able to play any games that you would nomaly play on the 32bit version. if you decide to go with it let me know how it works for you and if you think it sucks or not.

Anyone tried media center edition?i heard it is good for home users.it helps to view tv and pc together is that true?if know more about this pls post.

i have never used it but i heard the new 2005 edition has a wireless connection for HD-TV threw out the house on any tv. thats pertty sweet if you ask me.

Anyway thnks for the help guys well anybody knows if avalon is launching with longhorn?or aero will be there?or winfs is included?or indigo suppport is there?

Hey Guys,True; no OS is perfect. Its 6 of one vs. half dozen of the other. Tradeoffs sure. True, linux has a steep "learning curve" & is less "user friendly" (less GUI etc.) but Linux unstable ?? Any examples ?? So why do all the major webservers use it if its so "unstable"?? Would rather have any of Linux's instabilitys than all of Windows OS security holes which constantly suck up my time to "update" & patch. Just my oppinion. RGPHNX

yeah longhorn is actually vista, for some reason they changed the name then delayed it around a year or so lmao, thats microsoft for you.

I hope you are in your senses, I install windows and check my ram indicator! daMN.. I was wondering where did my 160 mb go. So windows XP does take a *BLEEP* load of resources. And it is a general rule that as operating system progress, they do take increased amount of resources. But they also give that much of stability, reliability, performance etc. in return. Don't believe me, Start off with DOS to Windows XP and see for yourself.

Yeah no *BLEEP*. We're not all dumbasses! If you don't know THAT about computers, you shouldn't have one :)