xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wenster

One Laptop Per Child

he ship them out to everyone that way kids all around the world can login and play diablo 2 and ghost recon

And F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 :P

Well... I hate to add this to bring down the product... but this kind of technology could actually aid rebels in the countries... Wireless networks that would be able to communicate with one another would bring a whole new level to a rebels ability to communicate with other rebels. If comparing this to radios, its basically saying to the kid, this is for you, use it to learn, while that same product could be used to aid rebels in making joint effort strikes.

I think that one lap top per child is a amazing idea but have one beef with it. The problem I have with is that though giving these computers to kids in the third world is an amazing idea I was thinking that there should be a program to give poor kids in North America. I would also like to see these computers available here where a parent can buy one for there kids. I know for a fact my sister would buy one for my niece as she really likes computers. There is other aspects to this also pertaining to schools. One this computer might be available to low grade students for there school work and also to load the class workbooks onto it to replace paper textbooks. I found out that a textbook could cost $70 to $80 a while ago when going to adult school. This laptop could actually help schools save money as it would be a lot cheaper than printed books.

I found about this project long time ago and was very glad that something is being done about the povert stricken people and helping them to better educate and increase the literacy rate of the people. The price increase is a little annyoing concerning that 100 USD still might be a little high price for people to pay, the increase in the price may have rendered this laptop out of reach of certain people in buying capability before. But I have to agree with FolkRockFan and Renaissance that of all the people they are tageting the laptop for, the poeple who can't even read less know english as a language, this will be one big job for the people to get them accustomed to the new gadget and thinking on the different problems with the countries, they have bigger problems to solve that just the literacy part. People dying, lack of food and job, people selling their children and what not. I doubt that this little gadget will have a great impact in that reigon too. But in the parts of world where there are lesser problem this will be a great feato to achieve increasing the literacy rate and giving the people a chace to have a better educated life in the world.

As Heinlein wrote, There is no point in introducing a primitive species to the technology of a superior species if the best use they can make of it is to bang nails with microscopes.

Last I heard was that this project is tanking, as hardware providers are leaving, and countires are canceling their orders because of the delays with production and of course the rising costs of this machine. Heck I wouldn't be surprise if they shut down operations because of the lack of support and of course all these problems as well.