xisto Community
hippiman

Trap17 Topics: Too Many!

Agree, the searching gets annoying because it hasn't let me search a lot of times because I have only a small word to look for. I think a lot of topics is great, but maybe ones that are of no point and half spam should be deleted thus being far more cleaner and not so overwhelming also some with no replies depending on what it is about.

I am not sure if there should be a read-only archive system running parallel with the main database. All topics and posts which are inactive or are marked (say lower priority) may be moved to the archive.A link or a list of all these topic may be available in the main database with may be the first starter post text only. Anyone interested in the forum may be able to access the archive thread/post by moving to archive system.If any one who is interested to activate or reply to such thread/post must have a minimum user level or get moderator/admin permission to do so.If any one is aware of such forum type may kindly PM me or mail me at buxgoddess@ gmail.com

Yes like all the others said, I too find Xisto search annoying, but thanks for the solutions.. searching google..good option..For too many topics...I think its good to have so many topics..It offers something to everyone...Suppose I need a free webhost...and need to keep posting for pay for the site..and I m not very into programming or technical stuff then I would not have anything to post ...but here...it doesn't matter..what ever you may be ..but still you will be able to post something and make ...the required credits...so having all the topics and categories really helps..I wish Xisto keeps offering what its offering now..my best wishes..

I think its a good thing, Xisto has many posts, so it makes it easier, to have lots of topics.As for the search, try to be more specific when searching, instead of "PHP" try "PHP syntax" or "PHP and MySQL"If people searchd for words like and, the, I or A, the server would use a lot of its power, just working on those requests, so returning fewer requests, makes the site faster.

It can get quite confusing having all those different forums and subforums. I could see it being hard some times not knowing were to post a topic. On the other hand having so many topics it makes it really easy to find a topic you know a lot about and can help some one out. I also makes it really easy to post to get myCents. If there wasn't as many forums it could be hard to collect enough myCents to keep your site up and less people would stay at Xisto. Less people would mean less new threads which would make it harder still. Really it would just spiral downhill if a lot of topics were not here anymore. So I think Xisto has made a good choice in the amount of subforums that there are.

I'm not trying to put Xisto down, but I've been getting kind of overwhelmed with all of the topics Xisto has to offer.

It probably is.. but I try to just find myself a section I enjoy, that can be posted on all the time without your post being months and months out of date. It is a tad annoying because oyur making a comment on a posted, then you discovre its about 3 years old. I'd love it if there was a way to delete our old post's (perhaps there is and Im missing it..?). Just to clean it up a little. Mostly I post on the most active forums, and sometimes in the Cooking Section with my recipies and in the Graphics/Manipulations sections.

It's kind of a good thing, because you always have something to write about, so you can always get points; but it gets to be too much after a while.

Yes it is a good thing. Variety means everyone will find somthing they like. :D

First of all, I can never figure out where to post anything.

On this one I completely agree with you. I find it very confusing. Hence my reason for barely making any forums discussions and mainly comtributing to them.

I have to read everything that everyone has posted before me to know I'm not copying someone else.

I dont really worry about this. Everyone has a diffreent opinion and some people have the same one. So long as your not actually copying the persons input I dont thinks theres much wrong with contributing similar posts. It may also benifit the discussion poster for having two opinions the same, especially if they want opinions on good programs etc.

I guess I'm just a complaining Jew ^_^ (no offense to all the other Jews out there, it's supposed to be funny.)

I thought it was very funny. :angry:

I an annoying, loud mouthed, screaching blonde. But I dont really care :lol:

There is more to add tho what I said earlier.As the topics grouping is concerned they are really good. But as said earlier, if you wish to post something it gets harder to find where to post. The search gives very vague idea. I made a search and did not find any result. After posting it and the going through the topics later I found a similar topic with the search word existed much before I posted. However I still think the site map of Xisto should be a tool for finding where to post something.Another thing that keeps coming to my mind is how relevant a topic is after a period. That is to say if at all the information added under a post/ thread is relevant. Say tomorrow Obama is going for a meeting at 12 noon and there is no reply to that post as to what happened in that meeting. The post is absolutely useless and thus must be made mandatory for the poster to reply with what happened to that meeting. Two options may be created. 1. Can keep posting but myCent does not increase untill and unless sufficient more information is posted again for that post.2. Delete or disable that thread and forego any myCent collected for that post and keep earning as normally done.Please think and give comments.

OK so I only read the first few posts in this thread. It's great that people took the time to add their opinion too but I just don't have all day to digest every ones' ideas. I really don't think it matters about the number of topics, as someone said, it's good for search engine ratings. Don't forget content is king. Regularly updated content is kingER. Your post may be picked up by a search engine because of certain keywords you intentionally or unintentionally included and that will bring traffic to Xisto which leads to advertising revenue which in turn is the reason why we can have free hosting. Actually it isnt free, you pay for it by writing posts, it's kind of like the old school barter system. I like the way cash is circumvented for the customer and even the free hosting is relatively good quality.Of course there are things that could be improved such as the four character minimum search issue. Technology and coding will eventually make it easier. The difficult part about having so many topics is deciding which one to post into. But given the choice, I'd rather have the choice.

Myself,I wouldn't complain about there not being enough subjects to write about.I was once a member of a hosting compamy similiarto Xisto(Though nowhere near as good). The only subjects it seemed people wanted to talk about werexp vs Vista,and whats your favorite computer game? The more subjects the better the way I see it.

I dont mind the topic range trap 17 has to offer, that way you can pretty much express your opinion about anything. It's sort of what makes Xisto a good community, I can find lots of things I'm interested in and just share my opinions/knowledge (or lack thereof).Although the search function is slightly annoying. Still, on the whole Xisto is the best post 2 host out there as far as I'm concerned. The services they provide are awesome and I haven't found a competitor out there that offers better.

If there were more girls on this forum there would be even more topics. :) Heck, we would take over this forum and create lots of new categories and even more topics regarding these little things that does not really matter. That is my dream. For those of you that are able to post and reply in every single topic - then yes, maybe there is too many. I am not very good at these technology-things - so mostly I am stuck running between a couple of categories and topics. :) It is okay, I quite like it that way.