xisto Community
hippiman

Trap17 Topics: Too Many!

Another major consideration on the 4 or 5 character limit to the search function is the Server Resources required to reduce that limit. The Servers are "shared", so every time you do a search, quite a few of the Server Resources are committed to the Search capabilities. If you reduce the character spread on the search pattern, the resources required to perform the search with fewer characters is greater than a simple ratio of the number of characters. Each character you drop geometrically adds to the requirements, so there is that to consider as well. The trade off for the search size versus the resources available versus the Server demand for those resources. This is a MySql thing.

My point is that, we have more than 50 forums including subbed and are the few good moderators we have on the site sufficient to block out repeated topics and actually organize the forum in a neat way? I do appreciate the effort of our moderators but I don't think it is enough. These guys can work their asses off, but at the end of the day, considering the scale of Xisto, it isn't going to be enough.

I disagree, this forum is extremely good. I mean sure there are some repetive topics but those members who make these topics usually get warned, so it is not a problem. There are some crappy forums out there with loads of spam, just go to domains-info.net and compare their forums to Traps. So even though there are a lot of topics Trrap is good at catching the repetitive ones and warning the member, or even deleting the post itself.

What we do for Xisto is plenty - sure more can be done. But please remember, we're all volunteer moderators. We aren't paid, we moderator because we enjoy it. We're also all on different timezones. We also have lives of our own. We need to worry about family issues first, and not be moderating Xisto 24/7. If we weren't doing our job well enough, there'd be many more reports then there actually are. If you have an issue with a duplicate topic, then report it. And we'll take care of it.

I've been getting kind of overwhelmed with all of the topics Xisto has to offer.

Fear not, overwhelmed semite! After some time you may find yourself feeling completely different. My beef is actually quite opposite from yours, in as much as there are topics I'd like to post on but can't find an appropriate location. For example, I feel there should be a forum, or at least a sub-forum on Religion, as well as Philosophy. There is certainly enough interest in these subjects to warrant their inclusion. Yes, there the so-called "spirituality" sub-forum under Health and Fitness which caters to trendy "new age" drivel and it's narrow-minded adherents, but this is hardly the place for free-thinking intellectuals to discuss Plato's "Republic," 19th century German philosophy, or the incredible legacy Catholicism has has on Western thought. No, if anything, Trap 17 could benefit from more, not less opportunities for unhindered discourse. I have been assured these topics may be included at some point if a mod volunteers to create a tree-like forum. This would also make it easier for members to locate specific topics, I imagine.

I guess I'm just a complaining Jew laugh.gif (no offense to all the other Jews out there, it's supposed to be funny.)

Hee heeeee! :unsure: As far as I'm concerned, if you're not complaining (even if disguised as humor) - you're not thinking! Oh, and if you're not offending at least some of the people some of the time, you're not saying anything worthwhile. My opinion is just that, but I say lose the "no offense" jargon. You'll inevitably piss someone off here whether you want to or not. Note to the wise: include a "disclaimer" for the feeble of mind, such as the one included in my signature. You'll need it.

This search thing happens everywhere. You can put "and" in google but... you aren't bound to find nothing interesting I guess. You have to exercise your brain a little more and try to do a clever search. Anyway I think that if we search for everything we post, nobody would talk because there are so many topics that it's difficult to talk about something else, apart from the news and new technology, software, computers, etc. But I don't think that mods are so strict, I have red a lot of posts like "what do you prefer Explorer or Mozilla/Dreamweaver or Frontpage" in the time I have been around here. And it's ok, if it's not too redundant. But of course, there are people capable to make the same topic that someone posted two rows bellow. Some because haven't noticed, some because want credits at all cost. :unsure: I think mods do it well.Anyway, in this funny thread I have learnt that jews are supposed to be constantly complaining? :(

Well,Actually you are wrong. Xisto has made everything very easy. if you remember the topic name search for it no topic would be under 3 ( majority of 'em) and then of course if you have conscious of who the maker of the post was you can search for it using the comunity button the top. everythign was easy for me wen i was thereand i wouldlike OpAque to answer me a question are topics deleted anytime or will they stay forever. i would suggest deletions of topics for topics that have not been active for 50 days. ( note:- if you do consider this just make it that the starter of topics dont count in the limitations of the 50 days this eans that if the starter of the topics post it doesn;t countHope it helped

Topics that are not considered spam will be kept in the forums forever. If we delete good topics, say bye bye to googles indexing us..

I don't really think we should delete topics. Like KuBi said, it will severly effect our google rating.I find it quit handy to have alot of topics to post on. Whenever I need some credits I can find a topic I feel like posting in, and post in it.

The fact that there are so many topics listed and discussed here on Trap 17, to me is a good thing. Period. It means people are being themselves and expressing themselves in a variety of ways. We are getting into the full range of human interests in the modern world, here. Well... almost, anyway. We have the option of answering existing posts or creating new topics. That is my favorite part of the entire experience. Its what makes the experience a good one.Today its one thing and later today another. There is a wide range of perspective on most issues, which allows us to ingest diverse opinion and thought. And most of the posts are very well written, so Trap 17 is not like other blogs which often degenerate into havens for ignorant haters. There is very little hate to be found here, which again is a good thing. Trappers are a bunch of thinkers who can express themselves eloquently over a wide range of thought. There can never be too many topics as far as I'm concerned because there can never be too many people. Whenever people are expressing themselves and communicating on a broad range of issues, the human race is making progress. God, however we each choose to refer to him, is happy with us in this setting, using words instead of bullets or missiles to bolster our ideas and ideals. Trappers are practicing fundamental humanism. Expressing themselves peacefully, with dignity and respect. What could be better than that?I look forward to the day when there are 6 billion topics here along with gillions of sub-topics, representing each one of us and the myriad of topics we each have swirling around inside our minds. All laid out nicely, clearly, for the rest of us to engage, challenge, comprehend, and support. I wont be here then, for sure, since tha day is a few years away, but hopefully the Trap will hasten it a bit...

The fact that there are so many topics listed and discussed here on Trap 17, to me is a good thing. Period. It means people are being themselves and expressing themselves in a variety of ways. We are getting into the full range of human interests in the modern world, here. Well... almost, anyway. We have the option of answering existing posts or creating new topics. That is my favorite part of the entire experience. Its what makes the experience a good one.

I completely agree. The fact that Trap 17 has so many topics and a wide range of forums pretty much won me over to the site. All different types of people can find SOMETHING that they enjoy discussing. Let's face it, if someone doesn't find a certain topic interesting, I'm sure they're not going to discuss it (unless they're discussing why they dislike the topic ;) )

I'm glad Trap 17 has a wide array of topics. I guess it goes with the concept that if there are a wide range of discussions, aimed at a wide range of people, than Trap 17 is a service that all different types of people can benefit from. :rolleyes:

Funny how there's a topic complaining about the LACK of POSTS and now there's a thread about TOO many THREADS... :rolleyes:Well what can I say...It's not easy being Xisto - They have to appeal somehow to everyone in the masses , Lots of choices if their way.And yeah I suppose it works, but indeed it's not always easy to find something to discuss.Apart from that there's of course the typical search difficulty. Why can't Xisto use some "hack" / "mod" to change the number of min. search letters (from f.ex 4 to 2 or 3).Well none of my business! Xisto can take care of itself...

Coding the SIMILAR topics was another pain for me.. But I hoped, it definitely helped people to find their favorite topics.If you check any other forums, they will not have more than 4-5 Similar topic listing. Besides, the algorithm which they use is a bit different and the one I use is different. It also makes the Similar topic listing very FAST + About 30 similar topics would be shown :-)I am coding even now but these are done to improve our site rankings and help our content reach the people on the web. They will not be visible to the members, but you can be rest assured that OpaQue is working his butt off for Xisto in some corner of the world having a high Xisto Fever.

Coding the SIMILAR topics was another pain for me.. But I hoped, it definitely helped people to find their favorite topics.
If you check any other forums, they will not have more than 4-5 Similar topic listing. Besides, the algorithm which they use is a bit different and the one I use is different. It also makes the Similar topic listing very FAST + About 30 similar topics would be shown :-)

I am coding even now but these are done to improve our site rankings and help our content reach the people on the web. They will not be visible to the members, but you can be rest assured that OpaQue is working his butt off for Xisto in some corner of the world having a high Xisto Fever.

Great to hear, and keep up the good work!
You're certainly making Xisto "unique". :rolleyes:

I don't really see searching a site like this. Its too big, well not too big, but I mean searching by hand would take days. I can't see searching it for anything really though. I mean if your looking for your own topic just go to your profile. If you want to find a tutorial I guess thats one thing. But like others said theres way to get the search done.

well the more the better! it is a good site and it would be really lame if there was 2 topics. like dogs and weather. that would be completly dumb. without all the topics, you couldnt even post this!!!!!!!!! so think about that.... i do think they need a better orginization system tho.