xisto Community
SamiFX

I'm New To Asp.net How do I start?

Hello; I'm new to ASP.NET and I want to learn it , I have 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005' installed on my computer and I found it very hard to understand and I don't know how to start learning ASP.NET... so what do you recommand for me to learn it step bye step and if you know some good tutorial websites ..please post them here.. thanks

I'm currently learning ASP.NET too. If you have any problems with ASP.NET I suggest you can try out their official forum --> http://forums.asp.net/

I can answer some basic question here though, so if you have some simple question you can ask me.. I use VB.NET instead of C# btw..

Actually, do you have any experience on programming? If not, you may have to learn the fundamental knowledge before you proceed to ASP.NET.In fact, using ASP.NET is simple, but mastering it is not so easy.There are many different step by step tutorial in the internet. You can even find such tutorial in the web site of Microsoft.So, what are difficult to understand?

the best source for learning ASP.NET is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

ASP.NET is simple to learn as there are ready built components for almost all the tasks. All you need to do is get the required component and code the action that is need to be preformed on that component. You can enter most of the component properties from the properties dialog box. If you've the basic understanding of Object Oriented programming, then it will be very easier to learn.

Unlike PHP where we hard code for all tasks, ASP.NET provides a set of pre-built components and a huge number of other third-party components that can perform the task. At most of the cases the programmer needs to code only for the actions to be taken and the programing logic. You need not code for any components unless you are required a custom component.

If you are an expert in PHP, then you can code ASP.NET sites using PHP insted of C# or VB.NET.

you can learn more about it here, https://github.com/devsense/phalanger/

CodePlex is another great source for learning ASP.NET. http://www.codeplex.com/

Hi!It's good to know that you have already taken the first step of installing the software that you require for development. Do you have any prior development experience with Visual Basic .NET or C#, perhaps any Windows Forms development experience? If you do, you will find the Web Forms development quite siomilar to the Windows Forms development that you have been doing in the past. In fact, Web Forms are an abstraction that enables developers to think of web pages in terms that they are familiar with and use an event driven approach.The best way to learn to build applications is to practice. You can look at existing web application projects, watch screen casts, read books, and read tutorials. There is nothing that can substitute actual practice.To get started, within Visual Studio, go to File > New > New Project, and select ASP.NET project from among the available project templates. Select the programming language that you want to use (Visual Basic .NET or C#) and create the project files in the desired directory. At this point, the Visual Studio integrated development environment should provide you with a blank page, with a toolbox on the left and the properties dialog box on the right (unless you've changed the default layout provided by Visual Studio). Drag and drop a textbox and a button onto the page, and double-click the button. This automatically creates an event handler for you to enter code into, so you could set a value for the textbox, such as by doing a TextBox1.Text = "Hello World" if you are using Visual Studio and by adding a semi-colon at the end if you are programming with C#. Press F5 to run the code and click the button to see the execution of the event handler. When you look at the actual code generated by Visual Studio, you would probably notice the HTML markup that Visual Studio automatically inserts into the aspx file and the presence of the ASP.NET tags. You can set various attributes within the ASP.NET tags either manually by editing the markup or by clicking on the tag in the designer and changing the properties from within the properties dialog box on the right of the Visual Studio interface. The aspx.vb file contains the Visual Basic code and the aspx.cs file contains the C# code, within which the editor automatically places the code for the event handler when you've double-clicked on the button.