xisto Community
SamiFX

Winxp, Winvista And Linux Multiboot Is it possible?

well.. I have 4 partitions in my hard disk drive, I have windows XP in the primary partition (C:), and Windows Vista on logical partition (D:)... I want to install the Linux Kubuntou on the logical drive (E:).. I didn't want to start setup cause I'm afread from losing data on the primary partition untill ask people who have tried installing Linux like my situation .. I don't know even if it's possible or not?

From what I understand about partitions, different paritions are like completely different hard drives, at least to the computer they are. So if you write to partition (E:) then it should not do anything to partition (C:). I may not be an expert about this, but it should have no affect on your primary partition.

I had the same concerns when installing Kubuntu onto my laptop for the first time. In the installer, make sure you do not select to have the installer decide the partitions (it will go and wipe the drive). Choose to select the partitions manually, and set the mount point of the partition you want Kubuntu on as /. Just be aware that Kubuntu will require you to create a partition to mount as swap.

It is certainly possible, and Kubuntu will not touch the data on the other partitions as long as you don't tick the format box for those partitions ;) It will require you to mount them as something (I usually mount them as /xp or /windows or something) and it will still scan them for errors, but it won't edit any of the data.

If you need any more help or advice, then I am willing to help.

I am very interested how did you installed you Windows Vista on logical partition because as far as I know you can install operating system on the primary partition at least I had to do it on my system where I run windows XP and linux. And there is limitation for four partitions that is four primary partitions because all logical partitions are held in one primary partition at least i understand it this way. OK here are few things from my experience. Firstly always install windows because if you install linux firstly then when you install windows windows has tendency to delete your master boot record and you cannot run your linux anymore. So Firstly install windows. then another windows then linux.However as you have windows already installed I would suggest that you use any software to build new partitions and build new primary partition you would need also one for the linux swap it best that you leave some space for it also. because linux that is unix baseed systems run better with it. Also when you make your new primary partition you jsut go and install your linux on it. However watch out that you do not intentionally click or press enter to format all the disk because you would lose your data. In fact you want use it but it will be marked for overwriting. Also depends from the disk manufacturer. I once got the old hard drive from local hospitel with deleted data and used software called restringer it is free though I don't know if it is available anywhere any longer and it slowly retrieved all data from formated disk. And I would like to note that I am not certain it is just experience what I had I have never tried to install Kubuntu. So be careful I wouldn't like to be held responsible if you lose some of your data.

There is nothing to worry at all. I did what you are planning to do and no problem whatsoever. The partition manager that comes with Ubuntu is quite good and does its job very well. In fact I created a partition from the free space on the WIndows Vista drive. No problem at all. The only problem I had was grub starts linux preferentially while I use XP. So had to make a lot of changes and change the menu.lst on the linux OS. Otherwise the install went fine and did not affect my other OS.

i think that Windows Vista is not so friendly with Linux.I installed Ubuntu in my PC that already has Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Vista installed in seperate partitions.The installation of Ubuntu was easy and smooth. There was no problem setting up GRUB, the boot loader for linux. But after that my system failed to boot, the Boot got corrupted as Windows Vista didnt allow the access to the boot files. so I had to remove Ubuntu and then reset the boot to get things back to normal.This is mostly bue to the incompatability of Vista boot loader with that of non-windows os loaders. But this may also be due to the non-support of Vista by GRUB.I was searching for a solution but could'nt find one ;)

It is nothing new that windows operating systems have problems with other os installed on the computer. I know that they are sometimes deleting master boot record and you cannot load new operating system that is old one you had before installing on the windows. However I would really like to know what happened to this guy if he did try this and what were results.

Well your downloading them on different partitions so as long as your PC has enough space and is compatible with it then it should be fine. But I would suggest that you see an expert first before you decide to do something big with you PC.

OK if you're going to do that, make sure that you install ubuntu first because then when it ipes the drive you'll be ok. Then install windows xp, and install vista last

ok thanks to all but I won't do that caus I'm afraid from the boot of Windows not the files.. I think that I have a solution I decided to do something else to test installing Kubuntou like my situation.. So I'll do a virtual PC and create a virtual disk drive, partition it and install WinXP and WinVista just like my real PC and then install the Kubuntou and see what will happen :unsure:all that i'll do it with Microsoft Virtual PC

ok I've installed it and it's amazing... the installation didn't affect the other systems so the partition manager of kubuntu did his clean work just what 'rvalkass' said, first I manually resized the primary partition and did an (ext) and a (swap) partitions so the Linux will be installed in (ext).and for Booting Linux will do his own boot loader which contains a link to windows boot loader too, so you can enter to windows boot menu separately... that's all guys thanks to all.

I am very interested how did you installed you Windows Vista on logical partition because as far as I know you can install operating system on the primary partition at least I had to do it on my system where I run windows XP and linux. And there is limitation for four partitions that is four primary partitions because all logical partitions are held in one primary partition at least i understand it this way.

You can install an operating system into any type of partition...be it primary or logical, ti doesnt matter at all.

OK here are few things from my experience. Firstly always install windows because if you install linux firstly then when you install windows windows has tendency to delete your master boot record and you cannot run your linux anymore. So Firstly install windows. then another windows then linux.

I think that you are kind of wrong here. Yes I know that you cannot boot into your Linux OS after booting Windows but there is still an option where u can restore your Linux boot config into the master boot record. All you have to do is to boot into your Linux console using the Linux installation CD and thereafter, type the partition you installed the Linux OS and let the bootloader in the installation CD query the partition and if it finds a viable Linux Installation for your Distro, zap...it boots it and then you can go into your Linux CP to write a fresh boot loader into the master boot record and everything will be fine from there.

However as you have windows already installed I would suggest that you use any software to build new partitions and build new primary partition you would need also one for the linux swap it best that you leave some space for it also. because linux that is unix baseed systems run better with it. Also when you make your new primary partition you jsut go and install your linux on it. However watch out that you do not intentionally click or press enter to format all the disk because you would lose your data.

You have to create a swap partition for your Linux installation typically before or after your main Linux partition. Dnt forget that or your Linux installation will not function properly.

other wise try WUBI in your Win XP. It'll install the Kubuntu and if it does mess up, just delete it from the Win XP. That's the only way I could install Ubuntu (I have a manufacture BIOS password I can't seem to shake) Just google Wubi and it'll download and install. One thing though, it'll take around an hr depending on your internet speed to download the install file.

i think that Windows Vista is not so friendly with Linux.

I installed Ubuntu in my PC that already has Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Vista installed in seperate partitions.

The installation of Ubuntu was easy and smooth. There was no problem setting up GRUB, the boot loader for linux. But after that my system failed to boot, the Boot got corrupted as Windows Vista didnt allow the access to the boot files. so I had to remove Ubuntu and then reset the boot to get things back to normal.

This is mostly bue to the incompatability of Vista boot loader with that of non-windows os loaders. But this may also be due to the non-support of Vista by GRUB.

I was searching for a solution but could'nt find one sad.gif

I am having exactly the same problems right now. I have Windows XP Professional in my first primary partition and Windows Vista Ultimate in the 2nd primary partition and then a third logical partition I use as backup partition. I created out about 6.5GB of space which was split between the Linux root (/) and the Linux swap partition from the three partitions that was there before. There was no problems and the Ubuntu installation went very smoothly. Now, I cant boot into any of my Windows partitions for some reason which I am yet to figure out.

I have tried repairing the Vista boot loader but it tells me dat it cant find any problems in there and that I should contact my system administrator. Well, I am gonna try a 2nd option. Repair the Windows XP boot manager with the fixmbr command in the Windows XP repair console and that will leave me with WinXP as the only bootable OS and then get Vista working again by repairing Vista's boot manager. Then, I am gonna edit the BCD with a free software called EasyBCD.

I hope it is gonna work 'cos I really wanna use the Ubuntu n at the same time, I dont wanna loose my Windows OSes either.