xisto Community
keri-j

My Thoughts On Why Internet Explorer Is So Popular.

Well sad to say though that Internet Explorer 8 is here to fix all those problems with standards, however, with XHTML 2 and HTML 5 on the horizon it won't matter much as all major browsers will have to go through a update to get those two standards to work. Of course, Opera and Firefox have begin to implement some XHTML 2 and HTML 5, not all but some, in order for programmers and designers to get an idea how it will work and see what changes need to be made.

anyone knows any good sites for learning these new standards?
I want to learn, to keep up with current latest and best technology... zzz...

Well sad to say though that Internet Explorer 8 is here to fix all those problems with standards

Internet Exploder 8 won't fix anything, it's still the same old crappy browser with less CSS support than Opera 8 and no SVG support. The lame guys at Microsoft are too lazy to do anything about it.

internet explorer is popular because its easy. its already installed and you just go straight to browsing. most people won't be screwed to actually go and download some browser which does the exact same job and is no different except in the styling. no one cares about the browser. as long as it works and you can go straight to your favorite sites then everyone is happy.

Dear friend here I would like your aproach towards the concept that most people dont want to change their know how towards a technique. That means they don't want to change towards new techniques etc. And thats the biggest problem out here.?

IE is preinstalled with windows operating system that's why IE is most popular. And most of the people don't know about the availability of other browsers. They stick to the IE only. And they think that IE is better and don't go for other browsers.

IE is preinstalled with windows operating system that's why IE is most popular. And most of the people don't know about the availability of other browsers. They stick to the IE only. And they think that IE is better and don't go for other browsers.

Internet Explorer IS better in many ways. It's PERFECT for families and even big companies are still sticking to IE since its clean and simple. It DOESN'T bother you with updates and everything. IE NEVER lags one bit on my XP Home Edition computer with 512 RAM and it works for EVERY webpage ever made. Even when some sites don't load on Firefox or Chrome, i load up my IE 6 and it works fine. And you don't even have to worry about adding some addons and plugins and themes and other useless things... no hassles at all.

Internet Explorer IS better in many ways. It's PERFECT for families and even big companies are still sticking to IE since its clean and simple. It DOESN'T bother you with updates and everything. IE NEVER lags one bit on my XP Home Edition computer with 512 RAM and it works for EVERY webpage ever made. Even when some sites don't load on Firefox or Chrome, i load up my IE 6 and it works fine. And you don't even have to worry about adding some addons and plugins and themes and other useless things... no hassles at all.

In a way you're right. So long as people stick to surfing safe sites and stay away from unknown sites, they're safe. It's important to keep your browser updated but IE doesn't bother you about this, and you're safe only until no one realises that you're using a browser with holes in it. So if people think they can control their surfing, then sure, IE is a good browser. But if they're daring surfers who don't mind looking at new sites, then it's high time they upgrade to a more secure browser.

It seems to me that miladinoski gives the main valid reason for not using IE. Microsoft are very reluctant to adopt any standard that is not their own. They resisted Java because it was owned by Sun (now Oracle), even though the code and APIs were freely available. The reason that there is so much incompatibility between browsers on the internet is precisely because of this reluctance to accept and properly implement standards. Microsoft constantly look to implement their own proprietary standards so they can cash-in. Their argument is normally that standards are a lowest common denominator arrangement which stifle innovation and lead to mediocre products. That is a superficially attractive argument but I think it is over-stated.The next big test will be how Microsoft implements HMTL5 and whether it still insists on proprietary codecs or finally comes on-board with the definition of HTML5-video standards.

It seems to me that miladinoski gives the main valid reason for not using IE. Microsoft are very reluctant to adopt any standard that is not their own. They resisted Java because it was owned by Sun (now Oracle), even though the code and APIs were freely available. The reason that there is so much incompatibility between browsers on the internet is precisely because of this reluctance to accept and properly implement standards. Microsoft constantly look to implement their own proprietary standards so they can cash-in. Their argument is normally that standards are a lowest common denominator arrangement which stifle innovation and lead to mediocre products. That is a superficially attractive argument but I think it is over-stated.
The next big test will be how Microsoft implements HMTL5 and whether it still insists on proprietary codecs or finally comes on-board with the definition of HTML5-video standards.

MS was never the most innovative company - they're just smart people who seem to do the right things at the right time, althoughtheir timing seems to be going wrong nowadays. Their insistence that their products are good and the other products are up to no good is laughable. It's sad that they're still allowed to ship IE along with Windows. Had it not been for this single factor, I'm positive that IE wouldn't figure in the top 5 browsers list. Anyway now nothing can be changed; let's see how far IE trots along and what it does with HTML5.

IE can't be removed from windows since in fact they built almost everything that can view, list and sort folders and files over IE. This is the main root reason why they can't remove it. I made an example and block IE totally on my windows 7 and viola.. I don't have a taskbar, no folders was visible and no "my computer". It is identical to blocking Internet Explorer and Explorer (windows folder system).Microsoft also have this standard of "stealing others works and sue the creators" which is happening a lot for the past 8 years where they keep on stealing open source codes, get them patented and sue the original creator. There are a lot of this dumb approaches made by Microsoft. The other root reason what that almost all IBM compatible computer manufacturer was forced by Microsoft to sell computers that will always be prebundled with Windows and IE. If they don't comply they won't get updates, of course this is possible since Microsoft have all database of serials for this companies. Even microsoft update sends your serials including your hardware parts makers and serials. This root of evil was starting to be countered and countries are starting to block Microsoft one by one. But still Microsoft wins on some battles due to common problem which is "Most people will refuse to learn new things".****************IE as non lagging on others is a browser where I need to write a separate CSS stylesheet for IE6, IE7 and IE8 having 40% compatibility between IE6 and IE 8 and almost none at IE7 and IE8 with regards on what they support and how they support it. This is not a case with Opera, Firefox and other browsers in exception to Apple browsers that tends to have thicker default fonts.Between IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome (heck chrome is still incomplete) and Apples browser... only IE keeps on sending information that I did not specifically initiated. Only IE keeps on being hijacked and only IE keeps on crashing due to buffer overflow. If only people around the world won't be so lazy to provide payment gateways web interface that also work on other browsers with out using way to much active-X then I can totally ditched IE when I am not developing websites that must also work on IE.NOTE: I am happy that Xisto websites work on all browsers including payment interface.

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

You can remove IE but it isn't simple, as you say. Since windows 7 there is the option to remove it completely. For earlier systems like XP you have to first remove SP3 and then you can remove the core - but it leaves some dependancies.If you really want to get rid then you need to follow a guide like this:-

http://webtrickz.com/how-to-uninstall-internet-explorer-8-in-xp-vista-or-revert-back-to-previous-version-of-ie/

or use nlite to do it for you

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/nLite.shtml

Warning - do this at your own risk and don't come crying to me if it goes belly-up :-)

You can remove IE but it isn't simple, as you say. Since windows 7 there is the option to remove it completely. For earlier systems like XP you have to first remove SP3 and then you can remove the core - but it leaves some dependancies.
If you really want to get rid then you need to follow a guide like this:
http://webtrickz.com/how-to-uninstall-internet-explorer-8-in-xp-vista-or-revert-back-to-previous-version-of-ie/

Warning - do this at your own risk and don't come crying to me if it goes belly-up :-)

Is it really necessary to take this risk just to remove IE? If we just stop using it and remove it as the default browser that should be enough, as it doesn't take up a lot of space anyway. In Windows 7 there's a feature to remove it but for XP users risking system instability just to remove IE isn't too sensible.

You can remove IE but it isn't simple, as you say. Since windows 7 there is the option to remove it completely. For earlier systems like XP you have to first remove SP3 and then you can remove the core - but it leaves some dependancies.

If you really want to get rid then you need to follow a guide like this:

Uh-oh. You don't need to do all that work. Windows 7 and Vista comes with a settings for "Hiding" Windows 7, it doesn't get officially uninstalled but you can't open it, see it or get annoyed by it. Just go to Control Panel and Add or Remove Windows Components. Or just search "windows components" in the start search bar.

EDIT - I'm sorry its Windows "features" not windows componenets :D

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

Is it really necessary to take this risk just to remove IE? If we just stop using it and remove it as the default browser that should be enough, as it doesn't take up a lot of space anyway. In Windows 7 there's a feature to remove it but for XP users risking system instability just to remove IE isn't too sensible.

I don't disagree - I just know that some people feel very strongly that they don't want it on their machine and I would rather they use a tested procedure than attempt an ugly hack of their own. My advice would be to hide/disable rather than completely remove.

Lucky for you guys and you can remove it completely, I can manage to disable it on my Windows 7. It is still there and I can't use it but the sad truth it was still there. I still need to patch it up so problems won't happen while I am online. On normal view it is complete gone. I am using ultimate version of windows 7 or was the 'Free Student COPY' thing that prevents me to remove it. I never bother calling Microsoft about it since they will surely not provide support for a free product.