xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
aminzzlink

Is The Yoyo A Sport ?

YoYos

[Def]:

A yo-yo is a toy consisting of two equally sized and weighted discs of plastic, wood, or metal, connected with an axle, around which string is wound. There is a slip knot at the free end of the string, and, on a properly strung yo-yo, an uncut loop around the axle (known as a looped slip-string) which allows it to spin freely, or "sleep" upon reaching the string's end.

When i was a lil boy i used to play yoyo , but it was just by throwing and getting back it to my hand .... but i think yoyos are become an High-Tech . nowdays Yos (modern name of yoyos) are performer working with phisics , it's hard to make a trick ... and for the price it can go over 400$ or so ( FH MG).

The World Yo-Yo Contest is held every year in Florida, USA during early August or late July. This contest takes the winners from national yo-yo contests around the world and pits them against each other.

Currently there are eight yo-yo divisions to compete in:

* 1A The player uses a long sleeping yo-yo to perform string tricks.

* 2A The player uses two yo-yos simultaneously to perform reciprocating or looping tricks OR uses a long spinning yo-yo to perform tricks that involve manipulation of the string. This tends to be the most visually entertaining style with some players incorporating acrobatics into their routines.

* 3A The player uses two long spinning yo-yos and performs tricks with both simultaneously/conjunctionally.

* 4A The player uses an offstring yo-yo, often releasing the yo-yo into the air and attempting to catch it on the string.

* 5A The player uses a yo-yo with a counterweight on the other end of the string rather than having it attached to a finger.

* AP This is Artistic Performance where the yoist uses any type of yo-yo or other prop in order to perform a freestyle.

* CB This is the Combined Division, where players have to compete and demonstrate skill in multiple styles.

Competitors usually bring a number of yo-yos to the performance stage with them to allow for mid-routine replacements in the case of tangling (common with string tricks), string breakage (common with looping tricks), or drops (common with offstring tricks).

Notice from serverph:
added quote tags above as needed.

There are a lot of sites for selling Yos and others for exchanging knowlage and triks...

here some writers from "WHAT DOES THE WORLD OF YO MEAN TO ME, essay contest" the 3 first :

"I'm going to get you high." These were words from an old friend wearing an evil grin. For me, it was either yo-yoing or drugs. So yo-yoing was definitely my alternative to drugs. Just look at all the influences out there in school these days. I see all these ads and peer pressure on these bad habits. The "norm" has practically evolved to this solid state. Insanity I thought. And I'd say, most people would agree. Yo-yoing means a lot to me. Who knows what I could've been. If it wasn't for it, I could be learning all the drug-addict jargon used today by many high school on-goers including my old friend. There were two paths ahead of me during middle school, one my friend took without thinking much and one to success. The decision was easily chosen, though, that's not the same as actually taking the path. All the while, journeying through that success road, I feel as though I am tied to my friend with a long bungee cord. As if he is dragging me closer and closer to his side of the road. But I know, with the help from new people and new inspiration, I can make it to the end. I'll keep looking toward that goal and keep on yo-yoing. But ultimately I look forward to this everyday to keep me in the spirit of yo.

What does the world of Yo really mean to me? Why do I continue to play? Hours after hours of yo-yoing for what? For fun? Perhaps. I picked up yo-yoing while I was in Hong Kong during one summer holiday out of boredom after watching the “Super Yo-yo” cartoon. But it has become much more than just a time-killer for me, it is apart of my everyday life. It has opened up a whole new dimension to me. Not only has it showed me the unlimited world of creativity and possibility of the yo but also added meaning to my life. I have something to strive for in my everyday life, something to look forward to at the end of the day, something to make my life seem more meaningful and worthwhile. I now know that it is possible for me to obtain joy from something else other then the computer, television or video games. It is a manner for me to get away from everything, for as I yo, all there is in my sea of thoughts is yo-yoing and nothing else. Yo-yoing is simply the motivational force towards my everyday life. The world of yo to me means having something to do in the few minutes before meals, while watching TV, fighting with my dogs for my yo-yo strings, being intimidated by tricks after tricks, and of course, visiting theyo.com everyday.

What does the world of Yo mean to me? Fun. Oh sure, there's a lot more to it than just one word, but if I were to sum it all up with just one word, fun would be it. A yo-yo and a few strings fit right in my pocket, try putting a bowling ball in your pocket. It's true what I've read, if you can do a few simple tricks, you can make people smile. What I find to be really great is doing it for little kids, they react like it's magic. It's fun to check out yoing on line. So far, everyone I've met through yo- yoing have been pretty nice. People that I've met face to face, and on line, have been willing to share what they know. Of course, I check out the on line stores too, as someone once told me, "You can never have too many yo-yos". Okay, I said that, but it seems true, doesn't it?

Do you play Yos ? and what is your point of view of these new generation of Yoyos ?

From Wikipedia

Edited by serverph
see moderator's note (see edit history)

I haven't used a yo-yo since the early 90's besides the fact I couldn't to many tricks with them I didn't really see a point with them except to kill time. I seen a few programs about these yo yo competitions and all I have to say on that is those are some of the sickest yo yo tricks I have ever seen. I saw people carrying cases loaded with small yo-yo and big yo yo's and that do tricks that more or less defy the laws of gravity when they perform them. Yeah practice makes perfect but I don't think much money is made off the competitions (maybe $10,000 at the most) but at least people got a good hobby out of designing no tricks like the martini and what not.

A yo-yo is not a sport and never will be. It is something you do in your spare time. You can show your "skills" to other people, but noone really cares about yo-yos they died out ages ago. If you are proud that you are good at yo-yoing that go on a talent show. You will never become famous for yo-yoing.

Well,Actually yo-yo is considered as a sport for some people, a hobby for some people and even a job for some peopleLet me explain some of the thing i saidA Sport:- Ok some people consider it as a sport because there are a variety of yo-yo competitions in the world. They are not that famous ( nto as if they are an olympic or something)People have even won cupsA hobby:- Some people also consider it as a hobby ( like me) we just buy a couple of yo-yos and start moving it. We practice and practice and some time could take it as a sport alsoA job:- Well when i say this i dont mean actually job. What i mean is main source of income for these people. They compete in places and get money if they win. It is actuallt like what i said for sports but this time they are doing it for the money and not for the sportWelll that's alll i hope i helped you all and TTFNc y'all later

Notice from serverph:
removed incorrectly formatted bbcodes.

In my mind, things like golf and yo-yo competitions would be considered sports if the participants broke a moderate sweat. To me, these kinds of things are either games or hobbies. They can be very serious games/hobbies to some people, yes. Tiger Woods makes obscene amounts of money for knocking a ball around and soaking up the sun.I'm not saying that these things are any less interesting or valid than what I call "real sports." I'm just saying that, in my mind, they don't quite fit the category that I've assigned. ;)

Hmm, in my opinion, yo-yo-ing is a hobby, a child's game, or maybe.. a talent. Sport? Nah. There isn't much of a physical aspect to it.Gah, and why are Poker tournaments on ESPN? Seriously, it's not a sport. All it is, is statistics. It should be on an academic channel, maybe TLC or something.

Playing with a yo-yo is in no way a sport. A sport is easiest defined as an activity that requires god-given talent, lots of practice and physical activity. There is little to no physical activity in yo-yoing nor is there god-given talent. People just dont pick u a yo-yo and are good at it like football or basketball, etc.

Of course it is, I heard it was being enlisted into the 2010 games in Beijing.As Rich once said "The difference between sport and a game is passion" Yo-Yo is one of the most passionate games I've ever witnessed so it must be a sport! Oh the passion.

Well yo-yos do take skill if a person doing it is any good. Also, in a way it does work your hand and finger muscles :XD:.. so yeah, I guess on the account of exercise to the hands/fingers, yo-yo could be called a sport.. I guess. :)

The yoyo is a toy but it can be classified as a sport if it used for sporting purposes. A toy can never be classified as a sport, unless you do it for sporting purposes, like for example a bike to a kid is a toy, however it is used for sporting purposes, the athlete has to train for long periods to perfect his technic.
Here is the information for the 2007 yoyo contest:
he 2007 World Yo-Yo Contest will be held during the first week of August, one week earlier than last year's event. The hall will open Wednesday evening August 1st, with competition starting on Thursday morning August 2nd and will close about 11pm on Saturday August 4th. There will be no events on Sunday August 5th.

The 2007 World Yo-Yo Contest will crown World Yo-Yo Champions in the following seven divisions:

* 1A (one-hand string)
* 2A (two-hand looping)
* 3A (two-hand string)
* 4A (Off String)
* 5A (Counterweight/FreehandTM )
* AP (Artistic Performance)
* Combined (Aerial + Dual + 1A)

There will also be two Sports Division yo-yoing competitions:

* Sports String Tricks (S1) and Sports Looping Tricks (S2)

The 2007 World Top Contest will crown a World Champion and will also have a Sports Division Top Contest Ladder.

Other competitions which will be held include:

* Diabolo Sport Ladder Tricks (DI) Yo-Yo World record attempts
* Yo-Yo Modding

Workshops and panel discussions, covering numerous topics of interest, will be held during the three days of competition.

The event hall has over 10,000 feet of yo-yoing space with 22 foot ceilings and will be open 24 hours a day starting Wednesday night, and ending late Saturday night.

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied from http://worlds16.com/ Please remember that copied material needs to be in QUOTE tags.

I might not call it a sport. To me, its nothing much than a little peice of plastic on a string. To others, its the source of happiness and sport, money or fame. Sure, some people might call it a sport, some people dont. Others call it a hobby, some call it just plain impossible. It depends on what your into, how you do things, what you like. But like I said, to me, its just a peice of plastic on a string, and to others, the source of fun and fame and fortune. Take China for instance, yo-yo is pretty much a sport there, heck there are alot of sports there that dont even look like sports, like jumproap, they have competitions for that and such. But here, they are a source of hobby to some people. Its not too big of a sport like football or basketball that come onto TV every year and people are just anxios ti get infront of the TV. But to some people, yeah, it would be a sport to them.

Yeah it is a yoyo was normally a toy but then alot of people did it for a hobby and a yoyo can't be a catergory on its own so the closes thing for it was sports because it gets you pretty active and yes you do need talent you can't just do tricks with a yoyo like nothing unless your a natural I always hit my head with it. plus tou can just throw it anywhere and it will come back to you you gotta know the right place to throw and how hard too and yes you do need practice, or you wisll never get it right you think people could do walk the dog without practice? I think not. anyways yeah it is a sport...