xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

My Resume

I am going to be apply for a couple jobs, and i would like to have the best resume that i can.

(you wish this was my actual address and tele number hahaha)

Chris Gulick

chris_aka_big_red@yahoo.com

Profile:

Although I am only 16 years in age, I am a loyal, dedicated, and hard working individual who has a desire to get a job to save up for college. I might not be experienced in allot of the fields that other applicants may be, but I love to learn and I am always up to a challenge no matter how hard it is. I work well with others while at the same time I am good working on my own. I am looking for a position where I can learn new things and excel at what I am doing

Education:

Highlands High August 2005-Present

6601 Guthrie St North Highlands, CA 95660

GPA of 4.0, signed up for Advanced Placement Classes, Taking Honors, Perfect Attendance, and took a summer-time class at the local University. I am taking a class at my High School that is called the Business Academy, which deals with teaching students the fundamentals of creating their own business and managing it. In my computer class my Typing WPM (Words per Minute) was 80+ each time I took a timed test.

Job Experience:

Don Julio Jr High School June 2005-August 2005 and June 2006-August 2006

6444 Walerga Rd North Highlands, CA 95660

Customer Service, assisting students, teachers, and parents finding any information they might have needed, Technical Repair such as computers, printers, copy machines, or anything that needed fixing, Data Input

Additional Skills:

I have many skills, most of which include technology. I have been dealing with computers for around 5 years now and have learned much including fast and accurate typing skills. I also have a great desire for science, business, and helping people.

Achievements:

I am a very motivated person who has people who care about me and want to see me succeed in life. These people are the reason that I work as hard as I do on the things I put my mind to.

References:

Available Upon Request

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(you wish this was my actual address and tele number hahaha)

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

(You're right, Tim. No quote needed.)

First thing that stands out, and I only just started reading it, is you say you're only 16 years old. Don't degrade yourself with the word "only". If that's a problem, let it not come from you. See what I mean? Make like you're secure and confident no matter what age you are and you're happy with being where you are in age. Loose "only".

You might want to use a spell checker and end sentences with the appropriate punctuation. Anyone reading your resume will know what "WPM" means. Loose the translation. If you have "many skills", don't tell me and make me guess what they are, list them. Otherwise I think you're BS'ing me. And that would not encourage me to hire you. Otherwise, looks pretty clean. Good luck!

Addendum: If you really need "words per minute" then just use that and loose the "WPM". Otherwise, you're going to insult someone's intelligence... I hope. ;)

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Good Luck! Watermonkey, you don't need to quote the WHOLE post. Back on topic- As watermonkey said, Don't put like only in there, 'cause that will make you seem young. Good job on the 4.0 GPA! Good Luck!

thnx watermonkey,@ the age thing: yeah i suppose that's a good idea ;)@WPM, i turned in a resume to taco bell and the manager did not know what WPM meant and he suggested that i add the translation in there.@listing the skills, i will defiantly change that.@spell check, spell check came up fine for me but punctuation i don't do good with so i'll have a look @ that

Well, I don't see the spelling error now and I haven't pasted it in to word, so who knows? Maybe I was just seeing things earlier. On achievements, wouldn't that be a good place to list your academic achievements? I mean, surely you have more achievements than people who are rooting for you to succeed...

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Hmm I suggest you post a resume in Monster.comI'm only 17 and posted my resume there with all these programming languages and other technologies. On the second day I started getting these full-time offers already. Since then I'm still getting offers. If only I get of my lazy *bottom* and finish what I have to do so I can start on my portfolio site (which is my main purpose of getting hosted here) then I can really get accepted to these jobs.If you're a good web developer/designer then you can sign up to GetAFreelancer.com and bid on projects there. I made some money off it and people there don't pay cheap (as long as you got a good portfolio or have enough proof).But if you're going to work in a place like Taco Bell, hm... I really have no idea about those kind of things sry. I do want a part time job as well.

Although I am only 16 years in age, I am a loyal, dedicated, and hard working individual who has a desire to get a job to save up for college. I might not be experienced in allot of the fields that other applicants may be, but I love to learn and I am always up to a challenge no matter how hard it is. I work well with others while at the same time I am good working on my own. I am looking for a position where I can learn new things and excel at what I am doing

Drop the part about your age and the experience thing.

Turn it into something like:

I am a loyal, dedicated, and hard working individual who has a desire to get a job to save up for college. I love to learn and I am always up to a challenge no matter how hard it is. I work well with others and I also work well on my own. I am looking for a position where I can learn new things and excel at those tasks.

It becomes more positive and upbeat this way.

A few recommendations I would make I change in your intro paragraph a bit to make it a bit stronger.

Although I maybe young for my age I am a loyal, dedicated, and hard working individual who has a desire to get a job to save up for college and be able to gain experience as well. I may not be as experienced as other applicants. However, I do love to learn and I am always looking for a challenge and to learn something new through the experience I gain from those challenges put in front of me. I work well with others while at the same time I am good working on my own. I am looking for a position where I can learn new things and excel at what I am doing.

This is a bit cleaner and what spell checker you using because allot is alot.

Also list your computer skills ones that you know of or have experience in, that would usually help beef up your resume but make sure you can actually do the. ;)

Also I would change your email to something smaller, so it will be easier for the interviewer to remember it.

With the achievement I would mention about award you won at school or awards from the community that would help out a lot as well.

Hopefully these tips and the intro paragraph I give helps you out.

A few recommendations I would make I change in your intro paragraph a bit to make it a bit stronger.This is a bit cleaner and what spell checker you using because allot is alot.

Hey, you caught it! That's exactly what I was talking about when I told him to use his spell checker! Except, alot should be a lot. Thank you for catching it though! That was bugging me...

lol see, that's why we have people proof read things like this, because spell checker doesn't always pick things up like that hehe XD thanks everyone. i'll be sure to include allot of the things that you are suggesting.

Just thought I'd add my suggestion(s). Overall the resume looks good, but here are a few tips.I agree about the age/experience thing that others have mentioned...perhaps turn into an objective and back it up with the skills/attitude you know you can offer ot the employer.I also find that long paragraphs (aside from the objective section) usually don't fit well in a resume. Waht I learned is that many (if not most) employers prefer a clear and concise format - especially if they are likely to look at a lot of resumes. In fact, most of them would only have enough time to skim through each resume quickly. So...instead of describing a list of skills and duties in paragraph format, try making bulleted lists of the skills you have thus far - and include what kind of software/PC skills you have experience with. Same thing goes for the job history...here's where you can back up your expreience with said software.Just my two cents.

Ok,so my school will be changing their name this year, and i was wondering if i would have to add a second entry for my education section for the new school name. lol i dont think so, but i just want to check.

Dont use all those long paragraphs describing your experience and your achievements. Use a bulletted list instead with as few words as possible. When someone looks at resumes, they have to read a bunch of them. Therefore, those that can be read and understand the most quickly will stand out and be more likely to get an interview than a long, drawn out resume. Also, work on personalizing it for the actual job you are applying for. The first thing in your resume should be what you are looking for in a job. This should be taylored to every job that you apply for. Therefore, remove the section about you and replace it with this. The employer will already know how old you are from the application and the cover letter should show all of your outstanding qualities. It does not have to be reiterated in the resume then.Good luck and if you want more professional advice about it, PM me or let me know.