xisto Community
velma

Have You Ever Lied Online? Tell me why people would lie online

lying online is easy. i've never done it, but i know the type. velma said she lies for security reasons which is(in my opinion) the only good excuse since the internet can be a dangerous place. people lie out of bordom, just to get their kicks, or to maniplulate someone which can seriously damage someone. some lie because they are insecure and some do it because they are just angry inside. whatever the case, it is wrong. but it happens more online than in person. people can be whoever they want to be online and it's so easy to fool others. when someone realizes that they have been lied to, they get hurt. what happenes with lies is they grow and grow and grow like a fungus. sometimes this fungus grows so big, it's almost instopable. what people have to realize though if they ever lied online is how it will affect the other person. not a lot of people think about the other person when they lie. they SHOULD....because if they have even an ounce of goodness in them(which i believe all people have), they wouldn't do it. lies are bad and borderline evil in my eyes(either online or off). it's a purely selfish act and it can only lead to a bad experience for someone.someone asked how far can one stretch the truth before it's a lie. if there was a specific expample in mind when asking that question, then the poster answered his/her own question. there is no stretching the truth. the truth is the truth....PERIOD. anything other than the truth...is a lie. now are white lies bad? yes. they are lies and they are relative to the individual telling those lies. some people think little lies aren't bad if they protect someone else from getting hurt. that is an excuse for something else. someone may feel they can lie to protect, but it's still a lie and the person being lied to would probably want to know the truth rather than hear a white lie. is hiding something a lie? yup! not saying a darn thing about something is a lie to. some people think they can get away from lying by just not saying anything at all. that's the same as a lie. it's dishonest and not forthcoming to any truth.there are only a handfull of situations where lies are ok. most all those situations revolve around kids. i'm not saying it's ok to lie to kids....but in my opinion only, there are occassions where i feel it is acceptable. alot of parents have lied to kids from the first day they were born. ready fairy tale books and teaching them to believe in the easter bunny. as a kid, sometime i feel it would be difficult over time to know what the truth is....but some of those lies are acceptable in my opinion because those lies encourage creative thinking and believing in something when they are too young to believe in anything else. those lies give off a sort of magical touch in a childs life. you can see it in their eyes. anyway...when all is said and done, lies are lies, lies are not good, and if anyone feels the need to lie, DON'T. if you do, use caution and a lot of discretion and common sense if you really truely feel it's in your heart to lie.

Have You Ever Lied Online?Have You Ever Lied Online?

It is something that I regret and also realized sub consiously one of the reasons we are not together. Well now I am 32 years old. But when I was 20, I was chatting online with this guy, and it feel sizzling with chemistry. We exchanged numbers and then he asked me for his photo. He even told me that he had a previous girl friend. He lived in Chicago and I lived in Boston. I lied telling him that I also had an ex bf (did not want him to think that I am a loser). I also photoshopped my picture to look slimer than I really am, as he was very tall and good looking! 

But yes, when he had told me that he was in NYC I lied and told him that I was in Canada. I did not get to meet him many years later and I was always scared that he would not like the real me; which at that point he said he did. So in hindsight it was stupid and also made me realize that it was the reason we are not together, as this relationship was build on dishonesty because of my insecurity. And although he never said anything about this and we broke up for other reasons (family etc), I believe this is one of the root causes.

Nowadays, I am honest with other people, they can either take it or leave it. It was a mistake but hopefully sharing it with you can help redeem myself.

I lie online ALL THE TIME. ( mostly Xboxlive or other places with high anonymity) people on XBL tend to think im like 7 years older than i am, so i go with it. People on other websites im like " i have a PhD in Whatever so your wrong," and THEY go with it just because iSAY i have a degree, you can be whoever you want online, Im the governer China, so say im wrong and ill have you killed, thatz right Bi****

Lying is fun. i lie in person alot too :)

i think people like online ( i do too ) is because its pretty much the most proof place to get away with it lol. So if you can get away why not do it?