xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Miracle Fruit - A Berry That Can Trick Your Brain miraculin that binds to the tongue

Found only in West Africa, once plentiful but now reduced to very small area, this strange berry isn't new to the world. But it's been re-introduced to the science community for what it can do in this age of obesity.

This berry, also known as Miracle Fruit, tricks the brain by binding to the tongue. Its natural component basically tries very hard to hold on to any and every little bit of sweetness from acidic molecules. And the result is that your brain notices sweet taste from something that should not be sweet. Far fetched, you say? A demonstration was held yesterday by Science Friday segment from National Public Radio (NPR) where three announcers tried various different foods, after coating their tongues with this strange fruit.

Three announcers first coated their tongues by bitting into the berry. First to taste was a plain lemon slice. All three shouted, "mmm, it's like lemonade!" Second taste test was with cheese which did not altered the taste. As they concluded, one read out that this Miracle Fruit can make a slice of bologna taste just like a cheese cake--they all laughed.

The active ingredient is called, miraculin oddly enough :lol: It only turns any sour food to taste sweet. Imagine, instead of drinking lemonade, which is doused with tons of sugar, just having plain lemon will give you the illusion of having a tall glass of cool lemonade. Think of the sugar you don't have to add to your drink. Miracle Fruit isn't a sweet additive but if any sour food that you enjoy can be turned to taste sweet, wouldn't you rather have the same pleasure but cut the sugar? :lol:

Additional reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

Wouldn't that be quite expensive?I was thinking, perhaps you can use miraculin and lemon juice in a suspension so that the miraculin floats to the top and the lemon juice sinks. that way, when someone drinks it, they drink the miraculin which coats to their tongue and then drink the lemon juice which will taste like lemonade. Of course, that wouldn't work with lemonade because the amount of acid the customer will consume would spark lawsuits. Try cakes. Coat with miraculin so the eater (if that's a word) gets the miraculin and then finishes a plain cake thinking that it's a sweet one. Perhaps a food-loving user could elaborate?

That's very interesting, I think it would be quite expensive though. One would think that it would be something that is genetically modified, but it isn't. It would be cool to have someone share their thoughts with us who had tried the berry :lol:.

Found only in West Africa, once plentiful but now reduced to very small area, this strange berry isn't new to the world. But it's been re-introduced to the science community for what it can do in this age of obesity.
This berry, also known as Miracle Fruit, tricks the brain by binding to the tongue. Its natural component basically tries very hard to hold on to any and every little bit of sweetness from acidic molecules. And the result is that your brain notices sweet taste from something that should not be sweet. Far fetched, you say? A demonstration was held yesterday by Science Friday segment from National Public Radio (NPR) where three announcers tried various different foods, after coating their tongues with this strange fruit.

Three announcers first coated their tongues by bitting into the berry. First to taste was a plain lemon slice. All three shouted, "mmm, it's like lemonade!" Second taste test was with cheese which did not altered the taste. As they concluded, one read out that this Miracle Fruit can make a slice of bologna taste just like a cheese cake--they all laughed.

The active ingredient is called, miraculin oddly enough :lol: It only turns any sour food to taste sweet. Imagine, instead of drinking lemonade, which is doused with tons of sugar, just having plain lemon will give you the illusion of having a tall glass of cool lemonade. Think of the sugar you don't have to add to your drink. Miracle Fruit isn't a sweet additive but if any sour food that you enjoy can be turned to taste sweet, wouldn't you rather have the same pleasure but cut the sugar? :lol:

Additional reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

First let me just say that wikipedia cannot always be a very reliable source since anyody can ome on and just put any thing they want on it, but in this case I am pretty sure it is 100% legit. hat is really awesome that your able to trick your mind like that. I guarantee that millions of diabetics who are not allowed to have sugar are now able to realize how it tastes again, and enjoy it once more. really more and more people should get their hands inb thius because thuis can help millions of people who are not only addicited to sugar, but eat it a lkot. Now they can eat thing sthjat are more beneficial to their bodies and believe that what theyt are eating is what thet wanted to to eating the first place. So I think more and more of these berries should be shippe to neighboring countries so ordinary people will be able to enjoy the sweetenss of sugar without actually getting the negatives of this sweet deliquent.

We should probably be cloning and mass producing this stuff then. Am I the only one who thinks it would end up being the greatest condiment of all time?

Now remember, this is not the sugar substitute or the sugar additive. This only works with any sour tasting food. As I mentioned it before Science Friday segment experimented with cheese and found to be the same taste.

So...anything citrus-y....maybe soda...what else has a sour taste?Ooh, it would be good for body shots! Slice of lime, pinch of salt... :lol:

Wow could this actually be true, if so this is great for people who love sugar as they can have sugar without the bad side of it. I really wish i could try it out but this is great and it can be used in many treatments like many drugs.

That's very interesting, I think it would be quite expensive though. One would think that it would be something that is genetically modified, but it isn't. It would be cool to have someone share their thoughts with us who had tried the berry ;).

HI, I havent tried the actually miracle berry but I have tried the pill which is made of freeze dried extract of miracle berry.
I am in USA where it is actually illegal in pills form but legal as a fruit, as its classed as a food additive in usa, and has not yet been approved by the FDA, but I bought the pills over the internet on ebay.co.uk because its legal in UK.

You put the pill on your tongue and let it melt and cover as many taste buds as you can then you can start to experiment with foods. Bitter, sour and acidic foods work best , most of them taste really sweet, tomatoes are absolutely delicious that we coundt stop eating them, I never got round to the guiness tasting like chocolate milk shake though, but lemons are delicious and vinegar tastes like syrup.

more info here at squidoo miracle berry
Edited by davey4545 (see edit history)

Wow, that's very (berry) interesting! I've never heard of such a thing until now, and reading up on it makes it sound like something that is very fun to try out. Especially for someone like me that doesn't like the tastes of many kinds of foods. I can just imagine how many things would taste better just by having some of that miracle fruit first.I read lots of examples for how things taste, and was wondering, do these tastes last for a long time after eating the miracle fruit? Or can you feel it working less and less as you eat?

i've been reading this thread and didn't find information about how this fruit works. Suppose miraculin can harm your tongue after some time. I don't think we can play with our nervous system without getting dangerous risks. After all, this "active ingredient" is like a drug, that has active effect on nervous receptors, i mean, neurons, like the ones from the brain, you know! chemicals travel inside your body, we should all notice that, i think.I don't want to be unpleasant to nobody's feelings, i'm only concerned about the lack of caution about this new drugs. Of course, you could say that it's not new and that it's a natural fruit being consumed for thousands of years by African people, but that it's apliccable to other dangerous plants, like Tobacco!Greetings, Yakazulu ;)

Edited by yakazulu (see edit history)

I recently read an article about this berry at the New York Times (there's also a little video clip to go along with it):

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It was quite interesting! Apparantly this guy has parties where you eat a berry, and then you eat all kinds of "normal" foods which now taste different. I thought it would be such a weird exeperience...I've never tried this "miracle fruit," but I'm very curious about it.

I wonder what this means for the world of food science...pretty soon companies could start making sugar-free foods that taste sweet, depending on the interactions between the berry and certain acids and such. It'd probably take a lot of research beforehand though. The effects may be different for different people.

If I get that berry I'll give it to someone an put her taste my c*** ;) mmm sweeet, lol...or I can start a business with not so tasty food, with that everybody will agree my cheap food is awesome ;)