xisto Community
velma

What Is An Addiction? Your views on what can be included an addiction

Some of my addictions:Computers (obvious)Mt Dew (not exactly caffeine bu Mt Dew itself, I do not do caffeine in other ways like I do dew)VideogamesWorld of WarcraftProgrammingReading Weird CrapLearningSword Fighting/Medieval Reenactment (I actually get all antsy and weird and jumpy and stuff around Ren Faire season)ReadingI like the fact that I am addicted to some of the stuff and actually have had odd symptoms when I have not done some of it for a while.

Well my addiction is definately chatting online and basically anything to do with computers. When I get home from school on the computer, on the computer, most of my holidays on the computer. I dont really achieve much I just hang on chat sites, make graphics and write stuff. Not too interesting. But this addiction is almost over, atleast I want it to be almost over. Im trying so hard to not be so addictive, but so fars its failing, mind you Im not on all the time- just most :o

♥Evo

Addiction? Well, let's see what a dictionary has to say;

the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

However, my view on the word "Addiction" is this; Basically, if you start doing something, you find it pleasuring, entertaining, or good to do, you do more of it. Soon, you'll realize you're doing it almost all the time. That's what I think an Addiction is.

Okay i completly agree with you and your friends... everything is an addiction, it doesnt matter what it is now adays but if you do it to much, it meens your addicted!!! So here are some things of the top of my head that could be considered an addiction.- Smoking- Drinking- Doing drugs- Reading- Watching t.v/movies- Shopping- Going on the computer- Eating- Msn/facebook/myspace- Lieing- Listening to music- Sex- Swearing- Laughing- Bullying- Gossip- BloggingWell this is all i can think of at the moment but im sure i'll think of more and post them later, hope you enjoy

No addiction may be good or bad...Since you wanted my definition of addiction, here it is "Addiction is when you find it hard to leave things" . I really don't like leaving my computer..Stuff like that. My dad used to smoke a lot but one day he said " I don't want to smoke" and he had quit. When I asked him on how difficult it was to quit, he said it was the easiest thing in his life! Give me something to do like hang out with friends or play some sports and I will leave the computer there. That doesn't work with all people though...

An addiction is a problem that people have within their minds. Say there is a man, who smokes cigarettes. He smokes 10 cigarettes per day. He is used to smoking 10 cigarettes a day. If he suddenly stopped, he would panic. He would feel he would 'need' the cigarettes, that is when you are addicted to something, such as cigarettes.Now say there is a kid, who loves going online, and his mom smokes. He makes a bet with his mom. "Mom, I'll stop going on the internet all day if you stop smoking!". Then five days in, the mom decides to have a cigarette, losing the deal. The boy was not really addicted to the internet as his mom thought.

Hello everyone,
The other day I was talking to a couple of my friends and as I was nagging them to stop smoking one of them said that my nagging too is sort of an addiction like their smoking. I mean the fact that the habit of nagging is considered an addiction.

That set me thinking that for all we know, Everything that we do might be an addiction, our computers,books, videogames, Junk food.

I totally agree that Iam addicted to food,books, talking and games. Dont you think that posting too is an addiction in a way?

Freaky but so cool.

I'd love to hear about what you define as an addiction and I would love to hear yours

Cheers ;)

Addiction is something where you want to do something and you do the opposite.
You are not in control of what you do. This is applicable in your case.

The more you try to become something else you become the opposite... :)

But still its possible to come out of addiction with some effort... ;)

Smoking or drugs is not all about addiction. I sometimes feel addicted to my laptop more than anything. Just bought The Compaq Presario for a fair price and have spent more than 12 hours a day in the last week. My mother had warned me of not letting me carry / keep the laptop with me if I don't immediately stop and reduce the time spent drastically. This is all because I love video games and cannot be without it. My friends often compained that I discuss too much of about games and my favourate is Age of Empires.

I feel that an addiction is anything that you do that you can not stop doing. Smoking is an addiction for some, but not all.Drinking is an addiction to some, but not all.They are just things that you do not need, but you want. In terms of voluntary or involuntary control, you choose whether you want to smoke or drink or if you do not. Therefore they are not involuntary but they are still addictions.