xisto Community
spikie

What Is Your Martial Art Level Belt? What style do you do and what belt are you?

I do wadoryu Karate and I am a yellow beltBelt order goes White, White Black tag (don't know if any other clubs do this), Orange,Red,yellow, Green,Blue,Purple,3 browns, 1st dan etc

Humm, seems odd to me. i didnt go for long, though i really want to start again, but ours was something like, white, which was effectively, none as that was the colour of the "belt" which weas tied around the karate...um..."gowns" to hold them together and on you, then i think it went straight to yellow, then maybe orange red brown black or something. That was in the UK so maybe it varies by strictness, EG in ...japan/china where ever karate was started first, they might be very very strict on things unlike in the UK where its almost a hobby.

I take Karate (I take more than one martial art, Kendo, Akido, etc.). I am a second degree degree black belt but I haven't gone farther because I've been doing Kendo, which I think is a lot more affective than Karate.

I practice Judo.I live in a small country though, so I only have to do a 20 minute bike ride, not much of a 'workout' there.I train only two times a week, each time one and a half hour. I go for a half an hour run every sunday and I do some weightlift every day for an hour...But really it's not that much... I'm not the perfect muscular man you see on tv.

Hi unstoppable, I practice ninjutsu (not the style made popular in the west), also karate, including strikes, nerve attacks, combat-effective throws and some kansetsu holds - we train for about four hours per day on four days a week - different kinds of training aimed at hand-eye co-ordination, balance, power, speed, reflexes, evasion, etc. One day in the week is devoted to running, half of which is sprinting and half reasonably fast 'cruising'. Two days are devoted to weights - one to upperbody weights and one to lowerbody weight exercise.

No belts in our ryu - you progress if you can stand the pace, which is gruelling. Not many last the first week. The first two months are devoted to massive conditioning, improving the various systems of the body, striking capability, etc. After two months, you can take out any single attacker - then the real training begins. It's amazingly interesting and fun.

Small off-topic note to unstoppable (my apologies, all):

I do some weightlift every day for an hour...

Don't do weights everyday, that ruins the effect of the weight training - weight training should be done just once or twice a week (say just the upper or lower body) and around ten sets for each exercise that you do - that and careful control of diet and rest should give you adequate results for muscular development, if you'd like that. Note also that you CANNOT do ANY other type of exercise on the day you do your weights, this causes catabolic reactions in the body that prevent muscular development - no martial arts, no aerobics, no running, nothing else. On the days you do weights, do ONLY weights, on other days you can do your martial arts/combat routine, whatever appeals to you. Good luck. If you'd like any more info, PM me.

Just opinion, but for all the people who feel discouraged or anything because they cant move up a belt rank, remember your still the same person no matter the belt rank. So dont worry if you cant move up. You could remain a 1st dan for the rest of your life but practice every day and perform as a 10th dan. No need to get hard on yourself, just keep trying your best. This is still a fun topic though, i'm not discouraging you. I myself am a purple belt although of course belt ranks are different most places.

Just opinion, but for all the people who feel discouraged or anything because they cant move up a belt rank, remember your still the same person no matter the belt rank. So dont worry if you cant move up. You could remain a 1st dan for the rest of your life but practice every day and perform as a 10th dan. No need to get hard on yourself, just keep trying your best. This is still a fun topic though, i'm not discouraging you. I myself am a purple belt although of course belt ranks are different most places.

I am currently a 2nd Kyu in Shotokan Karate. (This is a brown belt with a white stripe).Around September I will do my grading exam for 1st Kyu, which is brown with a red stripe, and then the very tough work starts of preparing for my 1st Dan black belt.
From white belt onwards we used to grade every 3 months, but ever since 3rd Kyu (brown belt) this time has doubled (much more and much more difficult stuff to learn).
After getting my 1st Kyu it will take at least a year before I can grade for my black belt.

I've been doing Judo since I was four years old (sixteen right now) and I have got a brown belt which I've worn for like three years, getting ready for the black one. Hopefully next year I will be getting it.By the way, did you know that when you have a black belt and you find yourself in a fight, you have to tell the others that you are a black belt. If you don't, they can even sue you for not telling them and they would be right. I think it's funny, but it sucks, like having to fight a guy and saying: 'Hold on, let me tell you that I'm a black belt.' But it would be kind of funny too.. :P

Yeah, Im only a white belt :P But my instructor wants to just jack me up to a green belt. I think thats awesome! Don't know if he is going to do that, but he said I would take three consecutive classes. I think it's because I catch onto things fast.

Shenzetrix, would you mind adding to your post what sport/kind of style you are into?Remember, all sports have a different belt system, also the different styles within a sport do.Eg. Shotokan Karate belts will be different to Kempo Karate.

ITF style TKD (TaeKwonDo). Its not really effective at all in a fight, its good if you like TaeKwonDo, its horrible if you want to fight ANYONE other than another ITF member.In tournament you cant:Use excessive/uncontrolled force (they cant be random kicks/stuff although this is ignored heaps, bleeding/broken things/KO's are rare)Attack below the belt ANYWHERE unless they have their shins up for blockingUse any other tool for attacking except fists & feetKO = disqualify usuallyand a bunch of other silly stuff. WTF TKD is more of a contact sport. ITF TKD really looks at form and precision over combat, its a peaceful martial art in my opinion. I'm currently a green stripe at it and have passed with only "A pass"s so far, just means i did particularly well *shrug* O_oWhiteYellow stripeYellowGreen stripeGreenBlue stripeBlueRed stripeRedBlack stripeBlack (1-9th Dan)Between each Dan you have to wait the number of dan you are in years before the next grading.Generally the only people that use it for sport are the 16~24ish age group since they're the fittest and lightest.