xisto Community
spikie

What Is Your Martial Art Level Belt? What style do you do and what belt are you?

Nabeel,
you write:

in our system the belts go like:...

Could you expand on that a little bit please, as there are so many systems and quite a few of them are very similar.

Well, I don't think my martial art is as well known as Karate or Judo or anything, and it's only starting to get established in my country. The equivalent of it is Kendo in japanese martial arts. So what I do it called Haidong Gumdo, where we use a sword to fight. We learn forms and techniques, and things like that. One thing that it lacked from our masters teachings was more sparring though. Anyway, I have my Black Belt now, but I worked really hard for it. We had to learn how to blow out a candle with our sword, with just it's movement and not touching it. We had to know all our forms and things like that too. If I were to go for the next level, I would need to be able to cut a bamboo stick with a real sword. It was really fun, and I miss it, but I haven't practiced it for years now. I should start up again sometime!

That looks quite interesting. Where exactly does that martial art come from? Judging by its name it sounds a bit Vietnamese or Korean. Could you let me know, please?

yeah, very routine hehe, I like it too,so I don't think I'll be going back to karate anytime soon,I recently took up badminton and I like that as well as swimming, so I don't have much time for courses twice a week...jogging is good, its funny but I feel very....healthy,after jogging (after a shower too,of course)

Hi. I practice taekwondo and I have a yellow belt. I practice two-three days per week, every weeks. I got my belt in 4 months but I feel that I could have my next belt (green) in short time. Anyone here has a black belt in taekwondo? If there, could tell me how many years took that belt?. And excuse me for my english. I'm a Colombian guy and I still learning english. I speak spanish as a native language. Thanks.

My brother did karate for a few years and made it all the way to a black belt. The problem is, once you get to black belt, there is no where else to go. It got to the point where karate took up too much time, he had to stop. Upon stopping though, he has lost almost everything he gained from karate. He does not remember any of the routines and does not always stick to the karate motto: 'I will not punch or kick my friends of family." (You have to love sibling feuds. lol) I think the belt color system should be modified somehow. A lot of kids I know do karate until they get their black belt, but because that is the highest level, they stop. They've gone as far as they can go, so they figure there is no point in sticking with it any longer. Has anyone else noticed this?

What do you mean, 'it is the highest level - They've gone as far as they can go'?

(I am speaking for karate, not sure about Tae kwon Do).

In my style (Shotokan Karate), you do indeed go up to black belt, but then it really starts. You get to your black belt and become Shodan (first Dan), but then you go on working to get Nidan (Second Dan, the level from which you can become an independent instructor), Sandan, Yondan, Godan and so on.

If they really think karate stops at getting your black belt, they are either totally misinformed or they have completely the wrong idea about karate.

Karate is an art that should be perfected for the rest of your life, and don't think that, after getting your black belt, there is nothing more to learn, because I can assure you, there is, and lots of it.

My brother never wanted me to start with martial arts, even though I wanted to for a while. My family has a history in martial arts, with this I mean Taekwondo. My cousin was almost accepted for the Olympics, and his brother was quite good to. My uncle used to do Taekwondo too. My brother trained for several years, and I have picked up some things when I watched the trainings... but I never started, a bit to late now I guess.Anyway, my brother has black belt. My cousin also. Both of them have some extra stuff too, but I have no idea what it is called. I believe my third cousin has red belt.

I do wadoryu Karate and I am a yellow belt
Belt order goes White, White Black tag (don't know if any other clubs do this), Orange,Red,yellow, Green,Blue,Purple,3 browns, 1st dan etc

I do kung fu I am a green/white belt

I do kung fu I am a green/white belt

Could you let us know which style of Kung Fu, please (there are so many)?It would also be interesting if you could let us know the order of the belts in your particular style, from low to high.

I myself have been doing wadoryu for the past 7 year and have earned 2nd kyu. I failed to pass for 1st kyu last year because everything had to be perfect and I messed up on some techniques.I noticed that some people mentioned a few belt systems I found rather strange. Ours is like this:WhiteYellowGreenBlue 1,2Brown 1,2,3Black 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc.. (one of my masters is Black belt 5th or 6th grade I believe)

I do tae kwon do and i am currently a green belt with a blue stripe belt order goes-white,white yellow stripe, double yellow stripe,yellow belt,yellow belt with green stripe,green belt,green belt with blue stripe,blue belt,blue belt with red stripe, red belt, red belt with black stripe, red belt with double black stripe, red belt with triple black stripe, and black belt