xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
velma

Do You Want To Save The World For? The Future Waste or save?

Hi I was just reading a book and saw an article on poaching, It makes me think..... Are we bothered about preserving the world for generations to come or are we gonna be selfish till the end polluting,depleting and destroying all the resources that are present.think about it: We waste water,food,electricity Pollute all the possible Natural resources, Poach all the animals to extinction.What would you think should be done to help? or do you want to destroy? Or be selfish to think only about yourself.I want your opinion, Maybe we wont be able to do anything about it at a large scale but still why not give it a shot? For we can always achieve huge goals even with teeny tiny steps or baby steps.I thought of this because It is an issue that is a major food for thought at present in the world.Share your opinions..Cheers, :lol:

Edited by velma (see edit history)

I agree.Personally, I've spent the last ten years traveling across asia collecting DNA samples from endangered species. These are carefully preserved in a vault, and I'm experimenting with cloning techniques that hopefully might one day 'bring back' these species even if they become extinct.However, this seems pitifully little in the face of the way the environment is being damaged. However, it's all I can do, at least for the moment. The reason my activities are restricted to asia is that it's very cheap to travel here, so one can cover a large area on a relatively small budget.Personally I think that the best solution to the problem is to gradually reduce human populations - true, IF we put the interests of the human race before that of any other species and ruthlessly exploit the planet, Earth could probably support even more hundreds of millions of humans, BUT if we are to maintain a balance between the survival/interests of the human race and the survival of other species on this world, as well as the planetary environment at large, a reduction in the overall human population could only be beneficial.Another thing could be cutting down on the 'comforts of life' a bit - using vehicles that pollute the environment less, using less appliances, working towards cleaner sources of energy. Actually none of this needs to be said - everyone can see what needs to be done, but most of us do not have the resources to do it, and those that do (large corporations/governments) won't do as much as they should.Anyway, I'm determined to do my bit. Besides maintaining a DNA bank of highly endangered species, I'm trying to develop a source of clean power, but money is a huge problem, as always. A pity, really. I'm trying to work around the financial barrier, but it isn't easy.

I want to help to save the world. But I also want to live in benefits of this world. It is much contradict statement, beacouse benefits of this world are things that are bringing it to destruction. Only few examples that i'm gonna mention. First one is electricity, second one is cars, and third is really not that important, waste.Electricity is probably most important discovery in human history. Without it we would still be living in 18th century, with candle lights. Is there a need to write about what wouldn't be possible without electricity?! When you look at it closely nothing would be possible beacouse this whole modern world is based on it. If i had a chance to build a world of my own, i would know that it probably would last longer (lets say 1000 years) without electricity and just 10 years with it. Calculating everything right, i guess that those 1000 years wouldn't be so tempting couse i wouldn't have eg. internet. So, i don't want to save the world by cutting down electricity.Second one, cars, is maybe less important. I lived last 5 years with a car, and due to some things that happend i don't use car these past few months. I know with me not using car i'm contributing to greener planet, but today it is raining, and i need to go 10 miles to my college with a bus. I have umbrella and that's cool, but this rain is just weird, it always wets my shoes my pants, and it's icky feeling. I wished i had a car today, but well, i'm not made of sugar so nothing is going to happen.Third part is waste. And planet. We humans, are mortal. We die and leave this world of to nothing, or heaven depending on ppl belives. But we leave lot's of waste behind. All of us need to eat, drink etc. That is a process that's been going on for thousand years, and due to our enormous population now there is just so much waste. But on planets side of view that is nothing. We are just contributing to it's mass, even better, we are not doing anything but reproducing molecules that were there from one state to another, and dumping it to planet again. In million years, that waste is going to be stone, or anything else, and we are probably not gonna be here.So when i wonder about saving the planet, i don't wonder on how to save it by not doing something that i like, beacouse we are humans, we like doing things that we like, and we don't do things that we don't. Rather, i think of this process of living. But not just myself, or the other, but space, planets, suns. There is something more than just this, and personaly i'm sure of it. Thinking how to improve processes that we do everyday and that we like, so that they polute less and for them to be more efficient is thing that i hope is going to save this planet.That is knowlegde. Learning, studying and educating ppl, of things that can make them happy the same as things that are they doing now, but are going to pollute less is important. So instead of driving around, we should probably stay put, live a bit slower more efficient, and think about those things more. Idea will popout, and solution is gonna be made. Let's just hope that it's made before the world is distroyed, but that, let's be honest, is not our decision to make.

Hi,I totally agree with matak and yratorm and It is true that everything in this world is slowly killing it but there are alternatives for all like windmill energy or solar. The thing is I agree that it is expensive and difficult to harness natural resources so easily and that is why we chose the non renewable sources for they were easier to use.This is just a thought but imagine if we could harness all the natural and ecological energies, It is quite possible now that we have progressed so far into the technological era as I call it.Because IF we do not save right now then there will be no more of a world than a dust bowl. Scientists have predicted that there will be an end or an ice age.I dont know how true it is but I definitey know that if we continue like this then there is definitely going to be a disasterCheers,:lol:

Edited by velma (see edit history)

Yeah I agree that we have to save the world for the following generations. That is the main point of sustainable development. Its the large brench of the economy concerning with the development and increase in production growth and so on many factors are included. And at the same time keeping the people happy and keeping the grass green.Point here which is mostly used is alternative power sources like sun energy then wind power waves and tidal powerplants and so on which do not effect to larger extent this enviroment.However, as a person and as an individual you have to start with yourself to recycle the waste to use less energy that is to to keep consumption lower thenwe would give more time to the scientists to find menagable alternative energy source. Which is not expensive and is usable or we shuold try to find something in the middle.

Well, I'm at a junction in my life that involves this decision. I'm only 15 so I have enough time to think about which road I'm going to walk upon.

We obviously have start thinking of saving earth. It's all we have. It may not be as big as what the "up there's" can do but we can contribute. We breath the same air, drink the same water, under the same sky and sun. It's an effort that everyone should work on. And it will need descipline. TONS of it...

I agree with you linekill but It is so weird that for so many years people have been polluting and destroying the world and now all of a sudden when you realize that the world is really being tortured, they start playing a more effective role in trying to save the EarthIt is good that at least the people are trying to help but they don't realize that there is going to be some sort of permanent damage. I mean think about it in the future all that children are gonna know of animals are when we take them to a zoo or somebody's house, it hurts to think of that kind of a future :DBut now that people are embracing the truth more I guess we have a chance after all. If only people left their ego behind and picked up the trash after themselves :P

Well, now that we are able to realize that we are polluting the Earth, we do have to work to stop it. I watched the movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" last Friday with Al Gore talking about global warming and how many politicians will ignore it, or fire their scientists when they don't change the information they find to something better. If this is the problem, people are going to have to take action themselves if the government won't help. I don't think we will ever be able to downgrade the technology we have because people won't want to do that. So we some how are going to have to find some way to control the amount of pollutants coming out of our cars and what not. Alternatives to energy sources we are using is a good start though.

I think that we should try to save the world but just for the animals and plants because humans do not deserve it just because they are destroying those life forms. Sad thing is that humans will probably be one the last species alive and when they do finally go away(in any way it will happen: extinction, colonization of other planets...) the life on this planet will probably be destroyed or it will be just like it was in the beginning. The problem with saving the world is that it is practically impossible considering how many humans are on this planet and that they all want best possible standard of living.Less than a 50% of humans has modern standard of living and it brought us to big problems already, now imagine what would happen if that percentage grows for 20% or more the problems would grow exponentially. The other problem is that you can't teach all people to care for environment in fact probably most people won't care about it at all. So to conclude this i want to save the world but think it is impossible as long humans are here in such big number(one of my professor at college told us that, based on some recent studies, in order to have modern standard of living and not to have big impact on environment there should be just 5% of todays population on planet).

I don't think the whole world will start doing anything or making a really large effort until the consequences actually are about to or already hit us. How many people on the street do you see talking about global warming? Maybe in a science class, but thats about it imo

yes i al;so want but tell this all to those terrorists residing in my neighbourhood countriesi want to save the world because i want to live healthy and also happy but not in fear

What if reincarnation is real? I know I know scientists aren't supposed to "believe" that reincarnation is real but there are plenty of people who do. Some scientists have developed theories to support reincarnation.That would mean that whatever mess you left here during one life, you will have to come back and live in it again during the next life. It's easy to close your ears and shout lalalala I dont believe you blahblah blah but what if you find yourself back here after you died the last time?I think you would say - as the guy did every episode of quantum leap - "oh boy".Now you can go ahead and try to use all your resources at once because you dont think you'll ever be back and you dont care about the people living on earth in the future, but taking everything into account, that would be a schoolboy error. So you see there is a very good reason to preserve the planet even if you are the most selfish person ever born. because if you're wrong about reincarnation and you do actually come back, you'll be in a world of hurt because of what you did before.This might be one of the reaons there is so much pollution in the world already. Because we didn't believe in past lives that we would be back here again.Think about that.

I agree, I would like people to think about future and about they children birthplace. Pollution of air is a problem and global warming is something that will cause permanent and continuing problems. We have all seen climate changes in our places. The thing to do is to understand the risk and be ware of the situation. We also need to tell this problem to our friends and try to include them in the matter.But not all the things are related to us. The governments have huge chances to try and make changes, but they are so busy on getting rich.