xisto Community
Mikhajist

How Many Of You Run Your Own Message Boards?

I'm just curious. I started with Proboards, used Invisionfree (but stuck with proboards), used a source code called Radiance 0.1.1, but it got hacked, so I went back to Proboards, used a source code called WhiteFyre, abandoned it, went back to proboards, and now, I'm fixing up radiance 0.1.4, and it seems permanent.You?

I have had my own forums for quite a long time. I have used proboards & myfreebb. But now I have my own message board. And I like to havemy own message board because then i have complete control over it. And your own forum doesn't have forced adds :(

I concur. My old site I ran myself, and the forum also. I don't imagine how it would be like to technically "own" your board, but only be like the moderator of it (even though you have webmaster capabilities) It's not the same feel as logging in to your forum and thinking "Heh, I could just delete this whole thing right... NOW!" lol. If you're the sinister minded type.

I have had my own forums for quite a long time. I have used proboards & myfreebb. But now I have my own message board. And I like to havemy own message board because then i have complete control over it. And your own forum doesn't have forced adds :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try using przemo... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

it's more cute than phpbb. :(

IPB is another good message board too. try using it nd you will enjoy it. It is very stable and does have much bugs too.

i used to run a board, but i wasnt getting many members, only friends(non-Xisto). and even then it was only 1 or 2. i was using IPB 2.0.3. modded with the arcade, kenka rpg, shoutbox and unreal portal. but i removed it from my site and now im running a home page. anyways.. i find IPB way better than phpbb and all those other boards(except vbb).

I have had my froums for quite a while now ... its still going strong :D I dont know I believe running and maintaining a forum is less work than actually maintaining a website .. afterall its just posting hehe :D And most portal / cms systems are just posts made by the administrator neways .. As for which board I find the best... hrmm vbulliten = not free.. but amazing + very nice & expensive templatesphpbb = free and highly customizeable, easy to use + lots of templatesIPB = free, only basic functions of a forum, hard time editing.. / moddingultimatebb = cgi script used along time ago .. quite ok but php boards run better.but out of them all I use IPB its the closest one to vbulliten that you dont have to pay :D:D

Well i had my own, and the reasons i use mine would be 1 to have control over it2 to get in touch with ppl who are not on when i'm on3 to post important info so everyone can see without having to say it 100 times4 to have fun creating them :D, since i'm poor i use free 1's which they work fine with me

MY first ever boards were um here:

FREE proboards with friggin advertisments.

http://beccasdesign.proboards33.com/

I only got 17 members and 226 posts....so I just left it...

-----------------------------------

I made a new one last week here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And I only have 10 members....so I have just done worse...but these are run by me....and well I like them because you can install your own mods and hacks for them where as proboards were uploaded on it's own host...