xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Exercise Helps Rebuild Memory a new study has found

A new study has found that exercise builds up new cells in an area of the brain linked with memory and memory loss. Mice-testing showed that they built up new cells in the region known as the dentate gyrus, which is known to be affected in the memory decline that commonly begins at 30 years.

The study was led by Dr Scott Small, a neurologist at the Columbia University Medical Centre.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Although studies based on vivisection (animal experimentation) usually raise at least one of my eyebrows, I do see a fair amount of validity to this particular study. Not that the mad scientists couldn't have come to same conclusion without carrying out cruel, redundant and unnecessary tests on innocent animals. I imagine enough procedures of a similar nature have already been tried out on humans - weather made public or not. Although not completely related, I thought I'd toy with a similar concept so this topic start would be honored with at least one response.

My own sister underwent (against my advice) the doctor's knife for a simple bunion on her big toe. The resulting condition (can?t recall the name) cut off circulation to her foot, and caused nerve damage she may never recover from. With the help of a physical therapist, she is gaining ground. But the reason I bring this up in concert with this thread is the therapist mentioned something about helping my sister?s cells and nerves to rebuild/remember their previous state of being, and how they functioned before being compromised by the butcher?s knife. By continually exercising her limb in a fashion similar to its pre-butcher state, it may eventually remember its former functions. Yes, I often refer to surgeons as butchers, as ?modern? medicine still reeks of barbarism in so many ways. Looking at this from a metaphysical stance, one might see a human cell as a microcosm of the human being himself. So, if a man can learn to recall ?lost? memories, why can?t the human cell?

That's is cool maybe my memory is so bad is because i am bum who sits on the computer all day and who does nothing but eat. So if i go to the gym more often then maybe i can remember where I put the remote and when was the ladst time i made a sandwich

that would be a good thing for me, since im seventeen and my memory is like crap, and now that i come to think of it... i need the exercize, not that im fat or anything,just feel like im getting weaker...damn, my website is really killing my physical and social life...

It used to be that you would be considered a 'couch potatoe' for sitting for long hours watching TV using the remote to change the channels and having a drink and munchies at your side. Now we have become 'mouse potatoes'. How many of us have 'mouse wrist' instead of 'tennis elbow'. How many times have you sat down at the computer for 'a few moments' and found yourself still sitting there hours later saying 'just one more'. Your bladder is bursting and you have a severe case of the munchies. I am now challenging myself to stand up at least once an hour. Seems like a small thing, but it will make a big difference in my activity level.

I guess it's possible, but I don't quite see how that works. I'll have to look it up, go to the website you wrote or something. I'll check that out, maybe I'll reccomend excercising to my great-aunt. :unsure: Her memory is kind of deteriorating.

When you exercise the endocrine gland releases hormones that help things happen faster like breathing,body movements and cell growth, and that is the reason why you feel so good after exercise, and this also could be the reason exercise helps your memory as I have noticed that exercise does this because if I sit around on the computer all day everyday and do nothing physical then I seem to feel slower and my thought process slows down.Then when i begin to exercise with running playing basketball or just cutting grass,my thought process then speeds up and thus causing my reaction speed to be quicker,from blocking a punch to scanning my brain for memories exercise is key to helping your body functions.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Like reelkill said, exercise has been proven to make you happier. Most of the people in my math class (smart class) are involved in some type of sport it seems. This is good news, because I typically get a lot of exercise. Exercise is probably the best thing you can do for your body. If we all exercised, everyone would be smarter and happier!

This seems to make sense. I like to play basketball and go swimming although my memory is still awful. But that's probably because I'm not 30 yet. I wonder if I study and stuff and then go for a jog or jog before then maybe I'll remember more for the test? I'm going to have to try this and see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if it'll work but it's worth a shot. Of course I think exercising your heart out won't do much but cause you to hurt yourself. Maybe getting your mind active by exercise and then trying to study ought to help.

I alway believed in exericising the mind. Try picking up a puzzle book for $3 and doing a puzzle or two a night or every other night. Do it on commericials and you'll find you'll be skippin your show just because you so into the puzzle. It really helps your mind, and as we all know it exercises your mind - allowing you to do more... read/write/execute/memory ect

'mouse potatoes'.

That's a good one, hadn't heard that yet.
But yes, I think you are exactly right. Just one last check of my email, just read a couple more posts at Trap 17.....before you know it it's the middle of the night and you have effectivly messed up your whole next day cause you are going to have to sleep some, and will get up late and end up not getting anything done.

I think it gets worse as you get older too. If you don't stay physically active, you lost the ability to do things even faster than when you are young. I know it seems to get harder and harder to lug those 50lb feed bags around. So you try to avoid it, and do things some other way, and it just makes things worse.

Yes neurologists have made even further studies by now in this field.And Mice-testing revealing that they developed some new cells in the dentate gyrus was helpful,but I think a more detailed study about the fact that excercise can help rebuild memory has to be done.

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

Yes neurologists have made even further studies by now in this field.And Mice-testing revealing that they developed some new cells in the dentate gyrus was helpful,but I think a more detailed study about the fact that excercise can help rebuild memory has to be done.I too think excercise keeps physically fit as well as mentally fit and good excercise should be done by everyone to maintain a good mental and physical health.Well If this studies are true and detailed,then it would be great for me as I do regular excercise jogging,playing football,cricket and volleyball,that means that would not only help me in maintaining my physical health but also mental health.Thats good then I must be building up my memory too and soon I would a sharp memory.sorry for the double posts I did that by mistake ,I actually by mistake ,not knowingly clicked that submmit button and then I posted another topic,so please delete that above one.

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)