xisto Community
Misanthrope

Do You Prefer Cats Or Dogs? Your Choice of Pet Says Something About You

For me it has to be cats and i must say it's nice to see a lot of positive feedback on the feline side of things. Most people i know are dog lovers and most of them can't stand cats at all. I ask them why they dislike cats so much and the fair majority explain it's due to the cats "dirty" and "nasty" nature. If a cat is dirty, it cleans itself and if it needs a trip to the toilet, it's natural instinct to use a litter tray if it is available. Whereas if a dog got dirty it would most likey jump onto the furniture, shake it's fur and spray dirty water everywhere and would pretty much stink for the next week or two.

And how many stories have you heard of cats attacking people? Also a cat would kill a rat, mouse or small bird. Whilst a dog can kill large rodents, poultry, sheep and even young kids.

I'm actually a slightly independant individual myself which might be linked to my liking of the cat rather than the dog. I like it when cats ar fussy and playful in the mornings and how they curl up in your lap if they are tired. And how can you forget that purr? ;)

Most people I come across are dog lovers as well. Maybe that's because dog lovers are more likely to be out and about, mingling with other people and walking their attention-loving canines. Perhaps dog lovers ere on the side of extroversion? It seems most people on this thread have cast their vote in favor of the cat, and they just happen to be indoors on their computers, pursuing a hobby often favored by introverts.

And yes, dogs can be a serious liability if not kept under control at all times. I live in the backwoods where ruralites often collect dogs to protect their chickens from coyotes. But then the stupid things run around killing deer and other wildlife. And sometimes they trespass on private property and kill other people's chickens - in which case they usually get shot by the property owner. The justice gavel comes down swift and hard in the backwoods......court adjourned.

Although I've never owned either, but I'd consider myself more of a cat person. As much as dogs are more "social" animals, cats are more independant, quiet, and the owner could probably leave them in the house without fear that they'll destroy the furniture.

I guess it would depend on the type of dog or cat we are talking about. I currenty have both in my house, I used to hate cats a lot because of all the hair the leave on your clothes when you pick them up and besides I am allergic to their hair. We got our first cat when our neighbor went out for vacations a little over a year ago, she had just been given that cat as a present and asked us to take care of him. She went out for vacations for about 2 weeks, the cat was a baby then, and we all kind of liked him even though we liked dogs more. After she came for the cat she asked us if we wanted to keep him, she has lots and lots of cats in her house, and besides, the cat is never in one place, its kind of like he has 2 houses. Right now we all like the cat better than the dog we have, the dog is not as clean and smart as the cat is. When it rains the can goes under something so he doesnt get wet while the dog is just sitting there getting wet. When we let the dog inside he takes a leak no matter what we try to stop him.... the only solution so far has been not leaving the dog inside without someone looking out for him. The cats hide their poo in the garden, the dog leaves mines all over the yard at strategic places where they can easily be stepped... lol... I know.....Well the cat has a long history now, like the time he was kidnapped by some gothic girl. My mom was really really angry because we found him after 1 week in some departments that were 1 block away from our house. We had to buy a litterbox and cat food and other things that the girl had bought for him. The cats name is Fuzz by the way.

My favorite of the two would definately be an outside cat. All of my cats have been outside cats and have roamed freely. What I like about outside cats is that you don't have to feed them everyday - they can hunt for themselves. They aren't constantly annoying you and you don't have to worry about their fur getting all over your stuff. Plus it's nice to come to your door after a long day and find a dead bird on your doorstep - loyal cats seem to leave them for you as presents. Over the years I've had 4 outside cats that have lived for a long time. All of them have at one time or another left dead birds as gifts to the family. Of course we don't do nothing with them except throw them in the garbage but it's the thought that counts right? I also like the fact that cats basically teach themselves to use the litter box. All ya do is have to show them where the litter is and somehow they instinctively know what the thing is for.

The only kind of dog I like is one that is outside. I hate inside dogs. They poop everywhere because if there is no one to let them outside they just go whereever they choose. Plus if you leave them alone they will tear up the whole house. Over and over. You cannot teach a dog not to do this, none of them learn, when left alone they go crazy.

Outside dogs, however, are great. That's where dogs belong, in the outdoors with a great room to run around and play. It bothers me so much when people have dogs penned up in an area that they don't even have enough room to reach full running speed.

My favorite pet that I've ever had has got to be a ferret though. My girlfriend and I currently have two females which we keep in a cage in our room. They are so fun to play with. They do this little dance and make this 'dook' sounding noise that brings a smile to my face. They can fetch and do easy tricks such as roll over. They also come when you call them. They aren't very loving at first but after you develop a bond with the ferret the ferret will love to sleep with you (which can lead to squished ferrets!) and cuddle with you. One of the best things about ferrets though is that they don't mind being caged up, just make sure to let them out at least an hour a day for exercise and their fine. Get tired of playing with them, back in the cage you go! A cute thing about them is they are really heavy sleepers. I mean, your ferret will fall asleep in your lap on its back with its head hanging off your leg looking as if it's dead. When you pick it up it sometimes it will remain asleep and limp as if its dead! It then turns into a doll because you can do whatever you want with it! Make it dance or set it in a pose and eventually it will wake back up. I swear its so funny though the first time it happened my girlfriend panicked and thought our poor little girl was dead! She was about to take her to the vet when I dropped a plate which made a loud crash and the ferret jumped up and ran to my girlfriend for protection, it was so cute! Anyways, the ferret is my favorite pet.

I love Cats. They are cute little friends.Dogs stick to us because of their faithfulness. Whereas Cats stick to us because of Love and trust. Getting the trust of a cat is not an easy job, especially if it is big. You can befrend a dog easiely either by giving it something it likes to eat or treating it well, but this is impossible to acheive with a cat. Cats wont come near you or eat what you give to them if they don't trust you. So if you want a real lovable pet go for a cat.Once you get the trust of a cat then they will always stay with you and show their love to you. Just like Smack said, the cats bring in their hunt to the home, because of love and loyality. Whereas you cannot expect this from a dog.At all times you can trust a cat, but not a dog. I've heared of loyal dogs going crazy or biting their owner, but whereas cats do not go crazy, nor do they bite. They do bite whey play, but it is no serious.Cats can learn things easily and they are highly intelligent than dogs.

Puppy update: all twenty-one puppies are in pens outside. They're probably thirty or forty feet from my bedroom window. One thing about puppies is that they Never. Shut. Up. I swear, they even yip and yap in their sleep.Fortunately, they're all very close to being old enough to find good, loving homes - homes that do not include mine. The plan is to take them, one litter at a time, to a gas station in town and give them away. Why the gas station? Because one of my brothers is dating a girl who has a relative who works there (yeah - confusing - I know). And that location is pretty good for helping puppies and kittens find good homes.That, IMO, is better than taking the poor things to the Humane Society. The local shelter just underwent major changes - everyone's new because all of the old people were scumbags - and I don't really think that dumping twenty-one puppies on them at once would be, um, fair. In the meantime...I had forgotten how much puppy poop reeks. What in the world is going on in their little digestive systems, anyway? Urk.

Puppy update: all twenty-one puppies are in pens outside. They're probably thirty or forty feet from my bedroom window. One thing about puppies is that they Never. Shut. Up. I swear, they even yip and yap in their sleep.

I think they are probably like that because they are in pens, dogs do not enjoy being cooped up.

I agree with you about giving the animals away to the public being better than the humane society. Most of the time the shelters already have too many animals there which leads to bad conditions for the animals.

By the way, try changing the type/brand of food you're giving them - some foods don't sit well in their stomachs sometimes and leads to stinky poop and/or diarrhea.
Edited by Smack (see edit history)

I would prefer Dogs and I have one also.My dog name is Snowey. Its name is so because it has a colour of snow. Dogs are good as a pet animals. After all they are good servants who obeys their master all the time. I thought that having Cats in home is a heptic and time consuming job. :unsure:

I really cant answer this question, because I own both a cat and a dog, and I just cant decide. What I have heard so far from this topic, for the reasons why some members do not like one of the animals, is sort of not giving them a chance. For example, I do not like dogs because they attack people and are aggressive. But most dogs are not like that, most are kind loving animals, and it's the same for cats. I myself cannot find many differences between the two, when it comes to why I like one better or not...

What I have heard so far from this topic, for the reasons why some members do not like one of the animals, is sort of not giving them a chance.

That may be true, and if it is I think it helps cement my point, which is, folks seem inherently predisposed toward one animal or the other -despite the facts. And why is that? Some of it has to do with the environment we grew up in. But then, how do you explain the self-professed dog hater who grew up in a household of well-behaved, loving dogs? It seems to come down to personal preference, which is where I think personality types come into play. I grew up around both cats and dogs, but to this day I prefer cats. I will always prefer cats because they resonate with my personality type.

Definately prefer cats, got 7 in my house :unsure:, Mum loves them so whenever one goes up for adoption or something she is normally encouraged to at least take a look at it.

hi,This is a really HARD Question !! i i choose cats well they devote them selves to one place and never change if i move where as dogs are usually Maintenance hehe not to put it that way but no other word hehe, sooo well a Dog is faithful and a cat ! cats love neighbours cat food hehe. sooo 1 good for dog as for can VERY CUTE ! one for the cats. Next, Dogs Bark and that can be a good thing in case of burglary and if u live in a small apartment can be bad for neighbours so 1 neutral for Dogs, as for cats they MEOW and thats awesome, doesnt disturb anyone so 2 good for cat. Next, both *BLEEP* a lot so both get neutral lol, as for cleaning up Hmm.. cats are usually self clean but still need a bath as for dogs hmm.. hard to get em to the bath hehe. So as stats go a cat seems better but as feelings and devotions go a Dog is best so u choose i like parrots hehe :unsure:Enjoy,Scan

to tell u the truth i prefer neither. im allergic to them and i hate it when im around them get all itchy n sneeze ahh kills me lol but yeah it would be great to have one as a pet

Cats for me. I love their independent character, they're much like me. It's not like your dog that you have to look after him constantly, cats are in that sense more like an equal partner, while the dog is obviously subordinated to the human. I like the fact that a cat have no fear about you, so it's like a symbol of freedom and dogs are symbol of some kind of natural slavery. I suppose that dogs are more friendly for kids though.

I have always preferred to have a dog , when it comes to choosing between a dog or a cat.For some reason, i am afraid of cats. Their eyes especially make me develop a feel of aversion against them. Their standing hair, and their purring , everything makes me feel bad about cats. Another reason is, i have not got a chance to see a cat domesticated at home. In my area, most people have dogs , and nobody i know , has a cat. Only cats i see are the stray cats on the road. At times, they cause a lot of trouble , by being an unwelcome visitor sneaking inside our home , and causing some trouble. Maybe that is one big reason i hate cats.Dogs on the other hand, have been domesticated in many houses , and i have owned a couple of dogs. My experience with them , has been quite great. They seem to be very loyal, and intelligent too. Something interesting happened with one of my dogs ..I had a dog named Dinky and i had owned it for the first two years of its life. I was very fond of it , and Dinky too, was a very intelligent dog. She was a brown daschund . After two years , i was asked by my parents to sell Dinky, as we were to construct new house in the free space which used to be place where Dinky was kept. I too thought , it would be better off giving Dinky to someone who could bring her up in a better way, as she would be deprived of any free space here, if she wanted to stay. So, i decided to give her to my friend who actually, moved to another city ,few months after i gave my dog to him. After about two and a half years, he returned to our city, with the dog. I planned a visit to his house, and went there. I was really overwhelmed by the welcome i got... Yeah, the welcome by Dinky !! Dinky recognized me , and sprung up on me. Dinky was running around me, wagging her tail , with a sense of great joy.I think, dogs have something extra attributed to loyalty and affection . Maybe, i would want to have a pet cat in the future, but dugs rule over cats, as of now !!