xisto Community
Matrixdudej

Voice Activated Tv

Well, my post i madee like 5 minutes ago was about making a tv remote pager and how you could find the remote easy and then i thought of this, on cell phones and stuff we can say a name and it will call that person after you record their name on your cell phone.So another thing is you can do some voice activated commands on certain computers like say open internet and it will yurn on the internet so i think everyone can tell where im going with this by the topic title.Well my idea is making a voice activated tv meaning you can say turn on and it will turn on, say channel 19 and it will turn to channel 19 you wont have to worry about ever loosing a remote controll like in my last post because it is all voice activated and you can just say what you want it to do.It would eliminate stress of looking for remote or having to change it manually it would make things alot easier.So what do you people think of this? also look at my tv remote control pager idea and say what you think of this however this could make the other idea of mine useless :P

Well my idea is making a voice activated TV meaning you can say turn on and it will turn on, say channel 19 and it will turn to channel 19 you wont have to worry about ever loosing a remote control like in my last post because it is all voice activated and you can just say what you want it to do.It would eliminate stress of looking for remote or having to change it manually it would make things a lot easier.

Oh if it were only that simple.

First off, how would mute people use it? What about those who suffer voice-changing illnesses like the common cold or tonsilitis?

Also, there's this thing about accents, dialects and languages. I might say, "TV On," while some other guy might say, "Tvee Auhn." One might say, "Six," some guy might say, "Seiz," others might say, "Roku" and I might say, "Anim."

At the moment, there's also a big deal about background noises. I'm sure you all know that an, "Ah," spoken in a silent household sounds different from an, "Ah," accompanied by a choir also saying "Ah".

Oh yeah, I've read of a similar problem in an Archie comic strip. He was looking for a lost cordless phone so Jughead came up with the solution: attach a cord to it :P

Personally, though, I don't see the big deal. I mean, if slobs worked on their sloppy habits, maybe they'd find it easier to look for the remote control. While far from being an obsessive-compulsive neat-freak, I suppose it does make me proud (yeah right :() that we never lose the remote control at home :(

I always had an idea for like a pager to find the missing remote. Kind of like the wireless phone in my house. If you dont know where it is, you just push the page button and the phone beeps until you find it and stop it. I guess the background noise for the tv could be fixed by saying a command to activate the voice commands, and then you would say the channel or anything you want, it would fix the tv recieving commands from background noises, lol, now that I think about it, imagine the tv being commanded by itself, its own speakers... Lol. I guess this would work as good as a remote, besides the remote is a whole lot cheaper than a voice activated system.

How lazy can we get? What - we can't be bothered to get up and look for the remote anymore? Buy a little hanging bag to drape over the arm of the couch and always stick the remote control in there: it won't be too far away for lazy people to reach and it won't be lost anymore either.The last thing that a TV addict/couch potato in general needs is another excuse to lie on the couch for several hours at a time.

i don't see how this would work in many ways, mostly stated by other people above. this is a tv here.. people yell and scream at tvs, well i do anyway. what if i was talking and accidentally said channel 7; it would switch channels without me wanting it to. a beeper button on the tv unit which sent a signal to the remote to make a sound would solve the problem of a lost remote already. even at that, it's easy to rectify this problem without such idiotic mumbo jumbo. all you need is a remote box or stacker where you put all your remotes, when you're done with one put it back. thats what we do at our joint, not once have we lost a remote. i think you are taking this idea too far. it's really unnecessary and quite lazy too. if you lose your remote, it will be around somewhere, look for it lol. its not that hard to change channels, just whack a few buttons and presto! i give you credit for trying to be innovative though. ;]

It would be very tricky to do. It is a very cool idea and maybe eventually some company will try to do it as a test. It is not something that is needed but It could be a nice extra feature for a older person who doesn't like getting up all the time or something like that.

Ok as for different accents or muted people there will always be the normal tv for muted people and program it yourself maybe? just like turn on manually and record your voice or something? also as for the lazy thing this doesnt mean your lazy its your choice to be lazy but lets say your tired and just wanna sit down and watch tv? sure thre still are lazy people but they will be lazy with or without this feature and yes this is not needed but then again paperclips arent "needed" just a little bit more helpful

lol...if they actually made a voice activated tv...it'd be every hardcore couch potato's dream come true. >< they never have to look for the remote, they dont have to get up to change the channel when the remote spoils, they can just sit there..dream come true indeed...xD might indirectly increase the rates of obesity

Well when you are as lazy as I am that is always a good idea. A few years ago my grandmother still had a black and white tv with no remote control and when I used to go and visit her in the summer holiday it was driving me crazy that i couldn't change the channel or the volume right from the comfort of your bed. Now voice remote is a good idea, but I'm sure already thought about this and found it imposible to implement. I don't mean the software or the hardware part, but in a loud room you won't be able to turn on the tv. Not to mention the fact that you usually sit pretty far from the tv and you will have to shout. Voice control has been implemented in the mobile phones, but it didn't enjoy a wide use because it just doesn't work as hoped....

Clapping won't do any good, because when there's fireworks, the thing would go crazy. But voice activated will be pretty expensive. Because it'll have to analyze the voice patterns in a few hundred milliseconds. Which would take alot of procssing power, and alot of Prior knowledge the voice patterns

lol imagine if you are watching a movie from when you were still a childchildren clap a lot with their hands ^^, i can see the tv already functioning :unsure: on off on off on off on off on off etc...anyway i guess voice activated tv wouldn't be bad, but still it would only make the people more lazy and more fatperhaps something else then voice would be better for such stuff

First off, how would mute people use it? What about those who suffer voice-changing illnesses like the common cold or tonsilitis?

Well then, they would be out of luck, just as with anything else that uses voice recognition.

This is entirely possible, since a remote would need a very small amount of words to use and the technology for this is readily available. I just doubt a lot of money will be made off of this. If you're too lazy to press a button, how much lazier can you get? I mean at this point you might as well buy yourself a self-feeding spoon :unsure: .

Having a voice-activated anything is bad unless you're really careful. Has anybody ever read that Dilbert comic

where Dilbert gets a new voice-activated computer and a coworker shouts "delete all files" at the computer?

Something like that could become a problem. People in the room that want different channels would have to

go into a shouting match. At least with a remote, you can take any additional remotes that control the TV and

hide them from the person that likes different channels than you.

Couldn't noise from the television affect the channels? What if a character shouts "off" on a television show?

What if a character says "they love channel six"? This could cause some problems.

Also, I think there was a channel that broadcasts videos submitted by users. What if somebody put a video on

there that was nothing except a person saying the word "off" repeatedly for an hour? You would lose complete

control of your television as long as the video was playing as as soon as you turn it on, the person says the next

"off" and turns it off. That could be sort of a virus for a television.

However, it would be extremely difficult to even implement a voice-activated television. You have to consider

that it would take a lot of configuration and processing power. Lazy people don't want a lot of configuration.

A voice activated television would suck electricity a lot. Even when it would be turned off as part of the television

still needs to be on to detect the voice. You see this with normal televisions and remotes. The television is still

using some electricity to detect an infrared signal from the remote. Since a voice-activated television would suck

much more power than a normal one, people concerned about their electricity bill wouldn't like those televisions.

You also have to consider that if your television got popular, a lot more electricity would be used. In an age when

we are moving away from fossil fuels, having a bigger need for electricity is the last thing we need.

Well it is nice idea however I think that remote control should stay in case you cacth some ssort of cold or anything similar to that. Also I would like to point out that by this there should be really good algorithm in detecting speech and by that you could let's say block voice from your women and then she couldn't turn off your tv while youa re watching football game and so on.Also there was cool thing with that search remote one of the guys mentioned that that he would use pager and then he would work out something wtih it so it could find remote control. That is nice idea also because pagers aren't used that much in todays world.

Also I would like to point out that by this there should be really good algorithm in detecting speech and by that you could let's say block voice from your women and then she couldn't turn off your tv while youa re watching football game and so on.

Well, that wouldn't be a good idea either. Imagine if somebody else configured your voice-activated television before you
had a chance to and they ended up configuring it so nobody but them could control the channel. Some
people pulling a prank on people that aren't tech-savvy with configuring their voice-activated television
could destroy sales as people wouldn't want to buy them anymore. Since problems like this and hacks for that matter
would only come when they get popular, it would be devastating to the company selling them because they
would end up with a big stock of televisions that used to be in popular demand but sales were hitting rock bottom.

And even then if only one person could control the television, voices from the TV could still affect it. There may
be a person on the television that sounds a lot like you. Your own voice could come if you're watching a video
that you made.

Few things should be voice activated, and even then it should be used with care.
Edited by possible123 (see edit history)