xisto Community
jcreuter

What Is Your Favorite "quote"? quote your favorite quote and tell us why it is your favorite

my favorite quote is "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer"

i believe this is my favorite quote because it has some irony in it as well as truth.

so tell us what your favorite quote is

I like "Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway"

i really like this quote it is very true. i should tell this to everyone who just needs to relax and have some fun in life instead of being mean mad and depressed all of the time

That sounds rather negative to me ;) I don't have one favorite quotes. There are certain quotes for certain feeling, but these are probably my favorites:"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.""A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."Half of the failures in life come from pulling one's horse when he is leaping.""With great power comes great responsibility." (who said Spider Man isn't educational?)

Well, let's see. There's the one from Animal Farm: (George Orwell, Animal Farm (Penguin Books, 1951, Pg. 114)

"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others."

Then there's this one from Sheep by Pink Floyd:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want

He makes me down to lie

Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.

With bright knives He releaseth my soul.

He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.

He converteth me to lamb cutlets,

For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.

When cometh the day we lowly ones,

Through quiet reflection, and great dedication

Master the art of karate,

Lo, we shall rise up,

And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

And of course my signature is another good one by Einstein.

Don't know who Jay Forman is but apparently he once said, "A bottle will give you the liquid courage to follow your dreams, and your gun will make sure nobody gets in your way."

I'm sure I'll think of more...

The Beatles tune that starts out with the lyrics "When I find myself in times of trouble Mother Mary comforts me..." leads me to remember the modern day expression: "Adversity builds character... ". Perhaps it comes from this ancient quotation from Horace, a Philosopher:"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which, in properous circumstances, would have lain dormant."What that means to me is that we should strive to work hard and challenge ourselves in our daily lives and set goals which, at first, appear un-reachable. But, through being persistent and striving diligently towards these goals, we will improve ourselves as individuals. And reach the goals we have set for ourselves.Along the same vein, "Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." -Walter Bonatti, Italian climber.It is the journey which is important, not the goal.

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what people say. I just watch what they do." -Andrew Carnegie

"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future." -Frank Herbert

I've got a few quotations that have kinda stuck in my mind over the years:"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." ~ Douglas Adams"Men live in a fantasy world. I know this because I am one, and I actually receive my mail there." ~ Scott Adams"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." ~ Bill Lyon

Well I am a true CSI Miami fan, and Horatio Caine (played by David Caruso) comes out with some great one liners.My favorite has to be:"You don't spend a thousand dollars on clothes, that you are not going to wear".

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not wantHe makes me down to lie
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.
With bright knives He releaseth my soul.
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.
He converteth me to lamb cutlets,
For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection, and great dedication
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Good Lord! (Pun intended) I absolutely loved that one ;)

I just have a few

Procrastination is the thief of time; collar him!

Seek tranquility rather than the truth.

Well said, well said.
Edited by salamangkero (see edit history)

Heaven and earth fight in vain against a dunce!

Common-sense punishes all departures from her, by forcing those who rebel into a desperate war with all facts and experience, and into a still more terrible civil war with each other and with themselves.

It is in disputes as in armies, where the weaker side sets up false lights, and makes a great noise, to make the enemy believe them more numerous and strong than they really are.

A few interesting and practical ones.

Hmm.. i liked this one very much:"A man with intellect is unparalleled, but a man with a heart is divine" - Rhearose TutorGoogle and see... It touched alot of hearts. :P