xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Web Standards Compliance Test For Browsers Check your Browser here

Here is a link to The Web Standards Project's Acid2 Test for Browsers. It is used to determine a Browser's ability to render an html page according to the w3c Standards.

No surprise, but IE6 is the most horrendous rendering, Firefox and Netscape do 'okay', and Opera does the best.

Opera is actually fully compliant with the Standards, so for those of you who are concerned about standards compliance, get yourself a copy of Opera.

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

Firefox 3 passes the test as per the Opera browser, but FF3 is not available to the general public yet. Soon, I hope

seen this before, what i want to know is how badly IE7 does it, yes i said badly, not "well" or "good" and i did so for a reason. The results will be terrible, if i was a betting man id stake my life on it.Anyone with IE7 feel free to check it out and let us know how dreadful it is :P shame to see firefox do so badly but maybe, as you say, FF3 will be better, they just need one that is perfect one day.

This is what it looks under IE7

Posted Image

For my work, unfortunately, I have to use IE. My Windows CE.net was designed to utilize ActiveX to synchronize with my work database... I hate to install browser after browser.

My webdesigns are not this complicated where it needs to be Web Standard, thank goodness. They are just plain javascripts and php/html. Didn't Firefox just released version 2? I'm surprised FF is getting ready for version 3... such a fast version updates in short period of time.

So the curious point is what if it's not a browser translating what would be the standard but the standard revised according to a browser translation? Meaning, what if the standard is written towards more favored browser than the rest?

I almost made a assumption but I am glad I caught the were they said they error it on purpose. Now explain this this to me since I am rhetorically stupid on this.If you going to error it on purpose then how is it really a test? As you can tell each browser errors it differently that I get, so am I to assume that this is the reason or is their something obvious that I am missing on this? OR just to show how bad it looks.To me I think the only reason why Opera looks like is because they programed it like that, which means they are bias to the browsers they used.EDIT: well after reading the how it's done still makes me wonder what they are leaving out in that code somewhere meh.

Yes i suppose it would make sense to revise the standards if not a single browser can meet them. And its possible they purposely made an error in the code but not being a standards compliant coder i wouldn't see it! Not sure where IE7 gets the scroll bars from (i assume they are part of the page not something that was on the screen at the time you shot it) but i did hear that in beta IE7 couldnt render msn.com properly so IE7 is still officially terrible with standards!

No error on my part when I viewed Acid Test 2 with my IE7. I did the double take as well :P but the iframe appears due to IE7 unable to digest the code properly.

I'm not sure if this is alright to release... but I couldn't wait until this became public. I talked to one guy at CES just now and he gave me the link to download FireFox V3.0 Alpha 2 Pre

Go nuts :P

Strange that the two main browsers anr't standards complaint. I would have though they could have got it right by now. Well, Mozilla seems to have got it right with Firefox 3 :P I might have to get myself a copy of the Firefox 3 beta, if only for looking how it does stuff differentFirefox 2 seems to render stuff very similar to Opera for most sites anyway, so it must be quite near compliance.

To anyone wanting to get the install file: just go to the directory of that link as they've renamed the install file. You'll be able to see the index and get the right one from there!

In here!!!:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Be careful as it overwrites your install of FF2 should you be using it!

I have done some screen copies to show FF2 and IE7 Differences... IE is truly shocking! the IE7 was a default install, shilst I have a couple of addons for FF2 - (Siteadvisor, LORI site request timer, FireFTP) - none of which should affect the page!

These are the results:

FF2: Posted Image

( Notice how Xisto is #1 in my bookmarks toolbar :lol: )

IE7: Posted Image

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Here is a link to The Web Standards Project's Acid2 Test for Browsers. It is used to determine a Browser's ability to render an html page according to the w3c Standards.
No surprise, but IE6 is the most horrendous rendering, Firefox and Netscape do 'okay', and Opera does the best.
Opera is actually fully compliant with the Standards, so for those of you who are concerned about standards compliance, get yourself a copy of Opera.

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

Firefox 3 passes the test as per the Opera browser, but FF3 is not available to the general public yet. Soon, I hope

No single browser is fully standards compliant. Opera still doesn't have decent CSS 3 support and I often see it misrender pages that will otherwise render fine in Gecko browsers. But, it works, and I still like its interface much better than Seamonkey's or Firefox's.

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know about how bad most web browsers really do when it comes to being standard compliant. This simple test allows you to check whether yours really has any web rendering flaw.

Try it here: http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

By the way, the results for the most important browsers:

- Internet Explorer 6 :: Fails (Badly!)

- Internet Explorer 7 :: Fails (Badly!)

- Mozilla Firefox 1, 1.5, 2.0.0.X :: Fails

- Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Alpha 2 or superior :: Passes

- Opera 9.X :: Passes

- Konqueror 3.5 :: Passes

- Safari 2.0.3 :: Passes

- Netscape 7.2 :: Fails

Interesting, huh? :P

More on it on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2

Notice from Plenoptic:
Merged topics. Please use the search feature before making a topic.

firefox 2.0.0.5

Posted Image

safari for windows

Posted Image

Neither of them are w3c Standards compliant

FF3 Alpha will be, though, and Safari for the mac is already compliant. Slowly, but surely, it seems, the browser wars are coming to an end. At least they appear to be heading towards a Universal Standard. CSS3 is on its way, too.

At least they appear to be heading towards a Universal Standard. CSS3 is on its way, too.

There is one standard, but the problem is it changes so much that no browser can ever have 100% HTML and CSS rendered properly. However, it does seem that they're starting to obey standards more. I hope that there aren't any drastic changes that would screw this up. The only one I can think of that would sort of screw everything up is if everything went onto true XHTML mode (when the document is sent as application+xml/xhtml rather than html), which would force Microsoft to update IE because it can't support even this simple standard.

If you going to error it on purpose then how is it really a test? As you can tell each browser errors it differently that I get, so am I to assume that this is the reason or is their something obvious that I am missing on this?

They put errors in the CSS code to see if the browser would properly ignore the bad coding. it's sorta like when you are skimming a word seek puzzle. if you're using english correctly you'll ignore the almost words but if you're not you'll use invalid words.

Each browsers interprets the page differently(non standardly), so it appears different. if you've done much web development or design you know that firefox and IE don't usually agree unless you add a bunch of code that one ignores and the other picks up on.

a good example of this is css induced transparency. for IE you have to use a special extra function to make it work (the function is ignored by all the rest of the browsers) because IE doesn't bother using the normal transparency commands. the same is true for making rounded corners on images.