xisto Community
KazuWanna

My Rant... Proper English/Grammer

I always thought I had pretty good grammar and spelling until I got on my college newspaper this year. Now I'm finding out I need to use commas a lot more often then I do, along with not saying "it" instead of a more descriptive word. Sometimes I could rephrase or reword things better, and you'd be surprised how much newspapers abhor parentheses ;) Ah well, that's what humility is for, right? ;)

I try to maintain a good grammar and spelling standard, even outside of school. I also try to avoid ample use of common forum abbreviations.

Lol, my english teacher claims to go out shopping armed with a permanent marker pen so she can correct the frequent misuse of the apostrophy (ie people write Yr11's instead of the correct, Yr11s). One time, she noticed Woolworths were advertising "100's of CD's" and rushed straight onto the computer to write a complaint ;).

I myself am a grammar *BLEEP* through-and-through (that's not going to make it through censors, is it?). There's really no other way to describe it. However, few are the people who use entirely correct grammar. Can anyone here tell me the difference between may, might, and would? There are differences.

Some of the most common errors are spelling and usage errors. There and their and they're, for example. However, this error is only expressed in writing. Spoken English has myriad problems of its own (don't even get me started).

What we need to realise, however, is that these "errors" won't be errors, in time. Eventually, they will become so commonplace that they will be considered proper. Split infinitives used to be improper grammar, but now they are acceptable (though this still doesn't quell my contempt for them). Abbreviations are also natural occurences in language. Take the Romans. They abbreviated left and right in their Latin. SPQR, anyone? AVQC? (Senatus PopulusQue Romanus and Arma VirumQue Cano, respectively).

If someone were to invent a time machine and we travel to Elizabethan or Victorian England, how would the locals view our speech, even in its most correct form? They would doubtlessly view our language as vulgar and crude. The fact is, language naturally evolves, often through misuse.

Quit your *BLEEP*in' your lucky if you can find one person within 20 in texas who actualy uses propper grammar. Your lucky if you can find 1 in 60 in new york who uses it. Whether or not you use "true propper grammar" is one thing, but the *BLEEP* i hate is all of these idiots who decide to use this chat short hand crap. "LOL, what r u ^ 2? I no its l8 4 u, so go 2 sleep. l8er" or "Im A nOoB aNd I tHiNk ItS cOoL tO tYpE lIkE tHiS" or even when people who only talk with 1337 like "Z0/\/\G5, 101, \/\/ /\ 7 5 |_|?"So basicly, quit your *BLEEP*in', get a life, and learn that, the world aint as perfect as you would like it to be. So go suck a *BLEEP*, and learn life itself.

I also hate people who use shortcuts during typing by using things such as u or r to replace words. Why not just spend an extra millisecond to type out the whole word so it makes it easier to read. I also hate people who use 1337 talk, it has to be one of the most fustrating things to read.I however don't mind people who spell incorrectly or make grammar mistakes as long as you can still read it easily. People come to forums to enjoy a little chat not to proof read everything they wrote looking up each word in the dictionary to make sure it is correct.

I think that the English language is ridiculous with the way it's rules are made. Also the spelling of words is crazy! I find it amazing how people manage to learn English in other countries. Unlike other languages where words are spelled as they sound, English takes away the common sense in that. "Through" should be Thru, "Pencil" should be Pensil, why can't we write it just like it's supposed to sound!

i just cant stand it when people dont use proper grammer.

well i mean Speaking.

and is this even proper english?

"excuse you"

because alot of people have been saying this to me and i dont even know if it makes sense.

and dont get me started on how people end there sentences with prepositions.

for some reason it just annoys the heck out of me. alot.

and when people spell things when typing like. "u" and "y?"

it doesnt take much time to type out words. it just shows how lazy americans are.

and that..ends my rant. xD

30695[/snapback]

Hm..you're really not one to talk are you?

You've made so many GRAMMAR (not grammer) and spelling mistakes in that one post I think you should join the crowd of "lazy Americans".

:(

*Grammar and spelling mistakes are in red*

A (space) lot

My Rant...

Replying to KazuWanna

Did anyone ever tell you that a lot is two separate words? A bunch, a handful, a lot...Get it? How in the world did that get past your spell check? Talk about lazy, you can't even hit the space bar?

-reply by Jenkrh

Actually, i would agree with that. I cant stand it when people say 'Of' instead of 'have' I don't mind mis spellings and web slang on the web, but i find it quite annoying written by hand or spoken.I don't know why, it just annoys me. Also, I always speak properly, and don't slur words, and people think I am a nerd, or think my speech is wrong.Its just really quite annoying...

it just shows how lazy americans are.

i'm not american but i don't really give a crap about grammar (thats how you spell grammar, just thought i'd let you know.) as long as you can understand what there saying its alright. we have better things to do than worry about trash like this. and spelling is pretty important two you know?

Is this coorect this a voicemail message I transcribe. I really need your opinionMy Rant...

1. Hey, Girl. It's (Taz?). Give me call if you get a chance, okay. Bye.2. Hey, (Bill?). Give me a buzz. Whenever you pick this up. See you. 3. Pound key... I'm sorry I didn't hear you.4. Hey, (Jason?). It's (Tony?). I'm here at the office all afternoon. Give me a call. Thanks 5. Hello, It's Mom. I've took pictures on your baby. Talk to you later, bye.6. Hey, It's (Brenda?). I've finish (ish?). Give me a call back I only have one like problem, number. Thanks, bye.7. Good morning, It's (Jacky?). I was trying to see if you had put the plans together for your trip. So I can get back to some people who are waiting for information from me. So, maybe you could emailed it to me today. If you had it figured out. That'll be great. I will talk to you soon. Have a good day, bye. 8. Hey, guys. It's me calling. I just wanna say hi and stuff to see everything is going. And I have a... 9. Good morning, (Brenai?) and (Grady?). This is mommy (Lockhart?). Just to reminder about tonight being daylight savings time. You put your clock back one hour. I'm hope you all have a wonderful week and that you all doing very very well. And that I love you all, okay. Love you mommy looking forward to see you in thanksgiving. Alright, let me know what you want me to bring. Love you mommy.  10. Hi, It's (Ted?). Just trying to find out if you find anything out today. That's it. Actually...11. (Ron?). It's (Richard?). Give me a call when you have a chance. Thanks.12. Hi, (Tracy?). It's (Linda?). I just wanted you to give me a quick call... On the same person that been wake working all morning for the king's wife. Nothing (tetra mental?), nothings going wrong or anything. Just want to explain to you bout the activation of the account. So if you could give me a call at your convenience. I'd appreciate it. Bye-bye.  13. (Mike Brian Bronex?). We are scheduled for 10:30 am Thursday to look at that building at 723 Broadway. So I'll just plan to meet you up there. Again, 10:30 Thursday best to get me up here in a car heading that directions too. 206-371-9212. Thanks.14. Hello, My name is (Mike Sebley?). Everybody from our office here is having trouble connecting to you guys. Although, our internet connection is working fine. I can surf the web fine. But connection to you guys servers is extremely slow causing our connectors to time out and I'd appreciate you checking on and call me back as soon as you can. My number is 985-292-2030, thank you.15. Hi, (Al?). It's (Mike?). I aspirated his knee, their was only a few drops of blood that was really no, is using that off. And not enough to be so concern or anything. The gram sting was no bacteria. And it doesn't look like the source is his knee. However, thou there will be culture (skoking?). I don't know if he ended up going home or not. I'd going to have the actually the interest on call evaluating for his fever. And he has an appointment to see you Thursday. But you aught to check on the cultures over the next couple of days. Just in case you need to meet him sooner than that. If you have a question, give me a call. Talk to you later, Bye-bye.  

-reply by ryan

pardon me but some people are not born speaking english.I for one, learnt english late into my teens and its just a language. Whether people make mistakes or not ..is really not a big issue.However for those who speak english as their mother tongue, they shouldn't be clumsy and should adhere to grammar rules.

Hm..you're really not one to talk are you?You've made so many GRAMMAR (not grammer) and spelling mistakes in that one post I think you should join the crowd of "lazy Americans".
:P
*Grammar and spelling mistakes are in red*

Lol, I'm going to agree with you.

It is pretty funny how many people cry about how others are failures and/or do things wrong, when they themselves make the same mistakes.

I feel that if you are incapable of doing something correct (in this case grammar) you should not be putting down others for their inability to.