xisto Community
Koopler

Ugh... Advertisements

I don't mind the small ones that are barely noticeable, but these days, advertisements can be so annoying. Seriously, I was just on a site that had a giant flashing one pasted across the sides. I had to minimize the browser window, making the ad unvisible, or else I would have gotten a siezure. Well, that's that's probably an exaggeration, but the point still stand: advertisements can be *BLEEP*ing annoying. They detract away from what you're trying to do on the website that you're at, especially the already-mentioned flashing ones, or these new ones that make noise.

Yeah I don't mind text ones but when they place about Like a Page full of text adds I can't handle it same goes with ads I'm ok with some but not to many because its pretty much killing your site or should I say making people not come to it. I HATE BIG ADS AND WHOLE PAGES OF TEXT ADSbut that does not mean I will not put them on my sitewhat I am saying is that I will at least put a WARNING before people enter the advertised page

Yeah i do not like the advertisements that many sites have. First of all, they are way to flashy and take away from the content of the website. Secondly, they tend to be put in places on the site that really interfere with everything. If people put them in appropriate places and blended them with their site, most ads would not be bad.

I don't mind text ads, but I am extreamly annoyed by pop up ads or large flashing ads. I use various ad blocking plugins for FireFox, which seem to have reduced the amount of adds I get to a minimum, although there are some sites where I allow ads to support the site.

I find the pop-under ads most annoying. Then there are always the pop-ups that propagate so fast that your pop-up blocker can't keep up with them. Flashing ads are very annoying too, as they are hard on the eyes. The noisy ones are really annoying, especially when you happen to have your speakers cranked up listening to a CD. They about blast your eardrums out. :lol:

I agree with the sound intergrated advertisements being an absolute pain, especially the myspace one in particular with animated emoticons or something similiar to that & when there was the dawn of the Crazy Frog I swear every page I went to had an annoying Jamster ad, I just thank god I've got an AdBlocker and pop-up blocker function now so I don't have to put up with clunky sales persuasion.

I don't mind the small ones that are barely noticeable, but these days, advertisements can be so annoying. Seriously, I was just on a site that had a giant flashing one pasted across the sides. I had to minimize the browser window, making the ad unvisible, or else I would have gotten a siezure. Well, that's that's probably an exaggeration, but the point still stand: advertisements can be *BLEEP*ing annoying. They detract away from what you're trying to do on the website that you're at, especially the already-mentioned flashing ones, or these new ones that make noise.

I agree with you 100%. I hate those adds that are located on the side especially, although they are "out of the way" I keep looking over because they are just so darn distracting. Luckily pop up blockers block out most ads that pop in your face but some slip by on the occasion. I use firefox though which helps a ton of those annoying banners that are flashy and cause slow site browsing. I use a flash blocker which allows you to choose whether or not you want to see a flash file. It is extremely nifty I suggest anyone who uses firefox to get it, or get firefox just for that purpose!

I don't really mind text adds because I usually can ignore those, but it doesn't make the site look very good, but at least it is better than if they had flash ads. That is why I really like Xisto, they do not force ads on you. Well we have to live with ads so I suppose there is no use in fighting it, have fun all you web browsers out there, and remember, dont be lured in by the pretty colors of an ad!!

Cheers,
Jester

Ads are inevitable, but I hate it when people get desperate. I wonder who came up with the stupid concept of pop-under ads. I thought they went "Ah... it's such a revolutionary creation! It won't distract the user because it pops under!" Yeah right. :lol: It's still the same thing. You have to go close it manually. Besides, people don't usually get to see the ad itself because they close it right away. Some way to advertise...

Ugh ads get on my nerves so much. The flash ads really piss me off. They make the annoying noise and most don't have the option to turn the sound off so I usually end up refreshing the page because I listen to music a lot and I don't want to turn the speakers off. And the ones that get bigger when you accidentally scroll your mouse over them, like the ones (sorry to say) here at Xisto. Those are really anoying, but they're an exception because putting up with them gets me free web hosting with none of those ads on my own site. :lol:

I have to agree with Mich in saying Pop-unders are extremely irritating, with you actually having to switch screens just to close the ad. The other kind I particuarly hate are the ones which pretend to be helpful (i.e. Your computer may be at risk - Click here to install SpamDestroyerblah), not only are they misleading and trick ignorant and/or inexperienced computer users, but often the Cancel or "X" button on them pops up a new browser window directing them to their site anyway. In my opinion that's some really underhanded tactics.All ads apart from text ones are really rather annoying - which is probably part of the appeal and success of the Google Ads. Generally they're unobtrusive and at least have some remote relevance to what you're looking at. To be honest, I'm much more likely to click an ad if it isn't so desperate as to need to flash a huge window in my face or trick me into visiting their site.

Ahhh, advertisements. The reason I'm at Xisto as opposed to other hosting services. I absolutely hate ads, especially pop-ups, pop-unders, sidebars, and those which you cannot position in your own page. Which means pretty much everything you don't add voluntarially.Advertisements are basically a sign of how commericalized civilization and the internet has become. And it sucks.Ads are also really mean, because a lot of people who don't know a lot about the internet click them unknowingly, thinking they're legit... Wrong.

Without advertisements there would be very few websites.Why would Google exist if they didn't have some way of making money.The web would be dominated by wikipedia instead. Not like that's a bad thing.

Advertisements are probably the top thing that makes the internet suck. The problem is that keeping up a site without ads on it doesn't generate any or if any that much revenue. Because of that, high traffic sites slap them all over and expect people to click the advertisements in hope of making at least some money or covering the cost to keep it up. It's perfectly understandable, but too many ads is ridiculous.

Like you I also hate ads. Small ad's like little text google ones are fine for me. But big animated flashing banners really get on my nerves. They all offer you something for free then link you to a site for cheap meds, lottery sites all of those scammy ones. Really it's false advertising. In my country New Zealand they recently started to put video advertisments on New Zealand pages. Like our news sites, ISP sites. They would pop up on the side of the page and then start playing a video advertisment (like the ones on tv) wasting your bandwith, it was disgusting.I understand some people need to pay for their hosting, but they aren't going to get any visitors to their site if they have really crappy off putting advertisments on their site.Thanks for making a topic that I can let off some steam in ;)