xisto Community
james2002

Which Classic Book Is Your Favorite?

I was going to read David Copperfield, but the most I've done is watch the DVD of it in my Junior English Class this past year. Sad, I must say, but I liked it. I've read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but I didn't really like it all that well. My teacher would kill me if she knew I'd said that! LoL. I like a handful of Shakespeare's plays, like Much Ado About Nothing, and The Taming of the Shrew. Like others have said, I love to read, but, sadly, I'm haven't been a big reader in my academy years because of my busy lifestyle, except for breaks and summer time. Even then, classics aren't exactly things I've been reading either.

I'd say I've got 5 favourite classic books at the moment. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem, Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar and last but not least The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I love the writing style of each author and the scope of their imagination. These books have influenced my life and I recommend them to everyone.

I've read most of the classics at one time or another. Let's see - favorites, hmm.Well, Jane Eyre, for one - I love the conversations, and then the way the book was published is in itself quite a story.The Pickwick papers is another nice one - it starts out drab and grows into a great novel as you read along.Plutarch also makes fascinating reading - to read about the way humanity was thousands of years ago and compare it with today. Fascinating. It hasn't changed, incidentally, hehe.Sherlock Holmes, of course - I like the collections of short stories best - I love the analytical mind and the personality of Holmes. Cold and brilliant. One of the greatest characters in fiction (in my opinion).There's also an obscure Ukrainian work called 'The Forest Song' that I really like but I don't suppose many have heard of it.There are also the works of Confucius, Lao Tze, and Miyamoto Musashi, all writers of classics in the highest sense of the word.I HAVE NOT read Anna Karenina, but I'm starting on it. Generally russian literature depresses me, despite being brilliant, there's a lot of fatalism in it. However, one work 'Lazarus' a short russian story, stands out - it's brilliant.And has anyone read 'The Devil and Daniel Webster' - it's a beautiful short story.

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

I would also say that Gone with the Wind is a bit too modern to be "classic".I've always loved Jane Austen personally - I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was 8.

I read David Copperfield when I was a kid, three or four times. Also Stevenson's Treasure Island (not in English, though). But the books I like the most about these Authors are "Nicholas Nickleby" by Dickens and "The misterious case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Stevenson. There is also a tale by Stevenson that I enjoyed a lot. It's called "The Bottle Imp". I am sure you would enjoy these as well, since you like classics.

Picking a favourite book is difficult. It all depends on category and all that. I would say that Harry Potter would come in top 3. Maybe Dan Brown's Angels and Demons too. Difficult to say.

My favorite classic would probably have to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Before I had read it, I watched the first two versions of it on television (show and DVD) and was addicted to it since that day. I'm not sure, but I really felt this connection to the sisters and even the mother and father. The difficulties of relationships and marrying for money or love, it was a trivial thing at that time. When I picked up the book and started reading it, I couldn't put it down. It's certainly an interesting read.

My favorite classical book would be, Peter Pan (I'm not sure is that is a hundred years old). I like it because it describes how a kid is still a kid no matter what and the author did that by making an imaginary place (called Never Land) which never makes you grow up. Well the name is self explanitory, nver land. I think it states a childs out look when he is still below 8 years old, and it has adventure in it too, another reason why I like it. It's very enjoyable and very good for kids. I also like Peter and the starcatchers which tells how Peter Pan came to where he was today.

I had loved Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, the Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, Pride and prejudice by Jane Austen (Darcy and Elizabeth!). I'm reading Emma right now and i can't get pass the first few chapters! Oh well!

The loveliest of them all? WAR and PEACE by LEO TOLSTOYThe good part of the book is that the protagonists has to change multiple times to cope with the changing world. This showed how the world really works, people can't change just once. We have to change every moment, everyday of our lives we change in all aspects (Physical, Emotional, Spiritual and Financial).

My favorite classic book? I loved Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, it?s the only romance book I've ever really liked. I liked the descriptions, the plot complications and pretty much everything else about it. I also enjoyed both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien, they were the first Fantasy books I ever re-read. Most of Mark Twain's works were interesting, and rather funny, though I remember being somewhat disappointed by the Prince and the Pauper when I first read it in 6th grade or so after seeing the Disney movie, which I had really liked. If I had to choose just one, I think it would be Ivanhoe. The portrayal of Robin Hood, Prince John and all the others was so different form what I first learned growing up that it was fascinating. The wording and the incorporation of Saxon/Norman tension were skillfully done. It was by far one of the best Books Ever and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens! I was really bored last summer and my mum did literature at Edinburgh university so I went through her old books and thought ahh i might as well read some of them. I think it's one of the most powerful books i've ever read, some parts were quite difficult to understand (i'm not very good at Dickensian English) but i actually found myself crying a couple of times, once on a crowded bus which was quite embarrassing! Another of my favourites is Wuthering Heights, i think everyone loves that book though.