xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
goldinero

Creation Of Real Diamonds

Real diamonds are mined from the earth. Fake diamonds are costume jewelry or cubic zirconia. Manufactured diamonds, however, are man-made and a diamond expert cannot tell the difference between it and a real diamond.If you have access to a library with an archive of Life Magazine, look up this article:Authors: Van Biema, David & Duncan, David EwingSource: Life; Mar93, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p54, 3p, 5cAbstract: Discusses how Lea Potts, a 15-year-old students at Mount Vernon High School in Alexandria, Va., can make diamonds with her dad's welding torch. Scientists are rapidly learning how to create diamonds easily and cheaply, and the future fairly sparkles with the promise of Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD). How transmutation works; Advice from Naval Research Laboratory; The possibilities in electronics; More.

actually that is false statement only an expert can tell but now you can learn to tell a fake from a real one go to this link and learn how to tell if you got a real diamond or not.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also known as synthetic Diamond, it was initially tested and created by US Naval Agency to test out various modules using diamond as a source or a medium. Dates cannot be confirmed since it's still classified. It was so perfect the way Carbon atoms were lined up, that experts had to guess it was synthetic. These Diamonds are created small amounts at a time in high pressured chamber with Carbon atoms and catalyst chemicals to induce Carbons to align properly. Fearing that these Diamonds will be sold to the black market, due to their immaculate identicalness to the real diamonds, the Agency started to engrave serial numbers to Diamonds with special laser that cannot be altered and only experts can find.

funny though i watch a few programs about diamonds and they never talk about it, no wonder :huh:, but yeah those numbers would have to be pretty darn small so you would need a robot eye just to see it.

I saw on Discovery channel or some channel of its kind that a good diamond expert can easily tell the difference between a real diamond and a synthetic diamond putting it through some tests which I dont quite remember what they consisted of since I wasnt concentrated on the television at that time. I do remember that the synthetic diamonds are made of carbon but If you look on the net I think that youll definetely find that information. I also heard some time ago that instead of having dead people cremated (where they turn them in to ashes, I dont quite know if that word is correct in english) they can turn the rests of people into some sort of synthetic diamond which is not quite a diamond but it looks like one.

actually that is false statement only an expert can tell but now you can learn to tell a fake from a real one go to this link and learn how to tell if you got a real diamond or not.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

191730[/snapback]

The link in your post is about telling a real diamond from a cubic zirconia. That is simple for an expert to determine. What I am referring to is not a cubic zirconia. It is a diamond made in a controlled environment.

I believe one way to determine the difference (that I heard about) was using spectrometry. But I don't know the actual process for creating the spectral signature that someone would use to distinguish between a real and synthetic diamond.

The thing is, the girl mentioned in the article of my original post had created diamonds in her garage using a welding torch. Granted, they probably aren't gem grade diamonds, but it makes you wonder about those that people could create given the desire and equipment to do so.

hey if you can't tell, i can't tell, and its cheap, i wouldn't care if its fake or not. but i always though you can test a diamond out by just taking out a hammar and smash both. whichever one breaks first is the fake diamond :huh:

I also heard some time ago that instead of having dead people cremated (where they turn them in to ashes, I dont quite know if that word is correct in english) they can turn the rests of people into some sort of synthetic diamond which is not quite a diamond but it looks like one.

191782[/snapback]

You were sighting this topic http://forums.xisto.com/topic/26428-what-is-the-lifegem-youre-not-gonna-believe-this/

It is also true that they were created by a U.S. Navy research lab, but it was not called the "US Naval Agency".

Are you stating this fact because you know it for sure or is it based on the television episode? Do you really think that research that important be held on a battle cruiser that is moving about? Any research scientist knows that research should be carefully done on STP (standard temperature and pressure), anaerobic and with controlled photosensitivity. A battle cruiser that has the movement of sea isn't quiet the ideal lab settings, I reckon. And the Naval Agency over sees the entire operation of Navy activities. Remember, television episodes are not always reflect a true account since the Nation's enemies might also watch the same show...*Nation's security at risk*

And yes, your last post is off topic. Please stay within the topic.

i saw something about this on discovery-channel... pretty interesting...pretty cool also that you can fake a diamond... they are totaly identicle exept that the fake diamonds light up if you expose them to a black light. But some new sientist are saying they have something about that too... So there is this company... "Beer" i thought or something like that. That is now putting their own logo on the diamonds that are real... that you know later which diamonds are real and wich ones are fake... Sounds rather stupid tho that you can fake it... The nature does 3 million years on creating a diamond... and some freaky sientists can do it in about 6 weeks

funny though i watch a few programs about diamonds and they never talk about it, no wonder tongue.gif, but yeah those numbers would have to be pretty darn small so you would need a robot eye just to see it.

My mum used to be really into diamonds and knows a fair bit about them. She heard about these manufactured diamonds a few years ago. Apparently, from my understanding, when they cut the diamond, they cut it so it has a very small flat edge around the rim of the diamond, and engrave the numbers into there. You can't notice it with the naked eye, but if you magnify it, you can see it.I think you can also have natural diamonds engraved similar to this so that if they ever get stolen, they are able to be found again.

Well let's first ask this question, what is a diamond? It's a complex, potentially never ending network of carbon. It is such a strong bond because the carbon are bonded to four other carbons in a diamond shape making it really hard to break. They are found in old volcanoes because of the heat reaching about 3000 degrees and they form hundreds of miles beneath the earth's surface because of the pressure.

Now onto the question, how do they make a real diamond in the industrial world? It was found out by chemists at General Electric back in the 50s and improved since then. They take graphite, another carbon built metal, and mix it with peanut butter believe it or not. Why? Well the carbon in graphite is bonded with three other carbons so it is almost like a diamond but a different shape because of the different bonds. To make a diamond they need to break down the graphite into carbon and have the carbon dissolve into a solvent which is Nitrates (found in peanut butter). The peanut butter also has carbon in it which is added to the carbon from the graphite forming the diamond. They heat the graphite with a dab of peanut butter in a little cylinder and heat it up to 3000 degrees (like a volcano) and pressurize it to One Million pounds of pressure per square inch (like it is hundreds of miles below the Earth). They have gotten it to the point where they can make 1 carrot diamonds in a 24 hour period.

Yes it is real diamond that at this point you can't really tell the difference. They want to mass produce it but I don't know if that will happen or not. The cost of producing it will be probably though around just as much as the process of finding them in the ground. It's sort of complex, I saw a movie on it today which is where I got this information, it was made by PBS so I'll see if I can find some information on it.

To see a comparison between the graphite and diamond carbon structures, click this link.
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/library/carbon/

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

I think its pretty amazing how much pressure and heat his needed to make diamonds. I remember watching on the science channel where they were able to make diamonds and other crystals like jewlery by have a machine that compresses and heats it, with and added element, making it bigger. I don't quite remember, but I know that they are very similar to the real diamonds.