xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
techclave

Google Hacking

I have made a small presentation in my college about google hacking . It is a technique by which you can use the google advanced operators, for finding out mp3 files ,ebook etc, .. And also provides basic informtaion on how you can use google as a launchpad for server attacks. The idea behind the presentation is to educate web designers about how to keep their site secure. , by knowing the possible ways their site could be attacked . Am i allowed to post about it here ?? I have referred to some sites and books. So the work is not 100% my own, Ihave collected information from various places and produced it in my style. If i am allowed to post about it here, i can go on..

When you say "hacking" is the term actually exploiting Google's service to perform that is against Google's terms of use? Or "hacking" as in found out how to use Google, still under TOS, with commands that are public information yet not many know of this technique?If you say it's the first one, absolutely no. Xisto forum shall not contain any material that is harmful to any site no matter how easy to exploit.If you're saying the second, that's not hacking but a hidden trick or "Easter Egg." If so you are free to share your knowledge with us--and grately appreciated.

I used the term hacking as it is supposed to be used. Though there is nothing illegal in using these techniques, these techniques can be used to lift data from unprotected sites . so, i guess, i can go on posting about it. I will post only basic stuff to educate web administrators about how google can be used to exploit a site. Based upon the introduction, hopefully they can learn more ,and in the effort , protect their site accordingly. And i have a doubt regarding how to post it. i have copied definitions from the web every now and then. Should i be quoting everything i got from the internet. In that case, i can wrap the whole of my presentation in quotes , as it would be mighty difficult for me to remember and figure out what i copied from websites ,and what i wrote on my own !!! At the same time i dont want to loose valuable hosting credits. So, how shall i proceed ??

hey buff ,just a thought ,give him the credits he want ,he has something valuable to share which all newbie webmasters like me would appreciate it i know many new site that get hack in an month and face many security threats ,spreading info regarding this would help them to avoid such conditions

For the time being , i will put the presentation on my site and link it here . If allowed , i would copy paste it here ,after i get the permission.

You can download it here

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you are interested more ,about this topic , visit Johnny Long's website. He has done a lot of research into Google Hacking, and shared about it in his site . For newbies i suggest , you to read my presentation before jumping on to Johnny's site .

Johnny's Site

Edited by techclave (see edit history)

This isn't the correct denotation for hacking, but "hack" has also been used to describe a way to simplify or make use of a tool etc. For example lifehacker.com doesn't teach you how to hack, it teaches you how to make use of your time and succeed in life.I'm sure google "hacks" won't be illegal if you don't use them incorrectly. For example, using google "hacks" to make your search more effective is good, but using it for illegal activity is not. I'll let everyone decide what's legal or not :)

there is nothing illegal in using these techniques, these techniques can be used to lift data from unprotected sites

You assumed wrong. This is still illegal. Just because the door was open, it doesn't mean that you can walk into someone else's home. Right?

stuff to educate web administrators about how google can be used to exploit a site.

This method is highly illegal. Since when exploiting a site is legal? Read the following terms of service by Google.

Information security

We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.

Isn't exploiting websites considered "unauthorized access"? The question is are you in any way inviolation with this statement?

Based upon the introduction, hopefully they can learn more ,and in the effort , protect their site accordingly.

You can achieve the same tutorial by placing screenshots instead of the actual program. To educate does not always means to demonstrate with the live program. You can discuss how to prevent such attach/caching through a presentation. When making a presentation always include the lucid-manual like-introduction to what can be achieved and how to use it. Do not just post a link and say that you hope it helps someone. Remember this is a forum. We discuss and guide all here.

i have copied definitions from the web every now and then. Should i be quoting everything i got from the internet.

All words that are not yours should be QUOTED. If a format is important you can make your own web page and provide a URL.

After note:

Contrary to popular belief, hacking is very much illegal. The term hacking in technical world means to alter the state of the original device/equipment/program to behave in a way that suits an individual. By altering the original content/setting that is not meant to be altered means breach of the acceptable usage policy and copyright. Unless it was expressed by the originator/author you are not to modify that which was released as honor system.

Using Google search engine to find list of passwords (in the past UCLA had their entire password listed under a database file) by search/keyword: ~*.**.?tg.?cz--for example-- is not hacking but just very clever way of utilizing the search engine.

Most of the things that you have discussed about cant even be consdered hacking as Google is a search engine and finding relevant stuff using advanced operaters is google utilisation not hacking. When we come to the part of it to lanch server attacks or for real hacking then it is illegal all the way

i have heard about something simmilar before. But i have never tried it out.

All it does it let you pull semi-sensitive information off of google. If your site is enabled where a bot can get that kind of info. You are just asking to be hacked to begin with.