xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Video Game is the best option to spend leisure time in a very good way. Video games not only gives the relief from work, but also it teaches you how you can take immediate solution to the critical problems and you start thinking in that way. Outings is also the best option instead of Video Games.

to all that think that video games are a waste of time and then telling me that movies and reading books are better for you? you're all stupid because movies you just watch, video games take some skill and alot of hand eye coordination, not including reaction time.. video games aren't the best for you time wise but if you're trying to make a argument that watching movies is better then you do not have any research that proves that they are a waste of time as for the girl part maybe it would be a little better than video games to flirt with her in person, but you can text and play games at the same time.... so you have no point that they are a waste of time, i suggest you get your facts straight...

you are completely mistaken when you shun video games, you should know that video games are an art form and one of the most rich art forms, despite what critics say... video games are living, moving, creative worlds of art and creativity, In my opinion anytime the healthy ( or unhealthy) human mind is creative and uses this creativity to create, sculpt ,design, paint or draw i believe art has been created, now you should appreciate video games as the creators pour out their ideas into them, they are art and you should learn to appreciate all art, now you say video games are a waste of time, there you are mistaken too, just take into consideration ... How old are microchips ? they are still pretty new and so are games so games do i admit, have a long way to come , but video games have huge potential they could be the educational tools of tomorrow and kids would find them addictive and therefore would also become addicted to learning ( Think before you speak ) if you think they are a waste of time then have you really played a video game , some titles do teach you things and tell you a story... eg. Portal teaches you to think out the box with physics, SPORE teaches you to be creative and to CREATE your own universe , i say again CREATE YOUR OWN UNIVERSE, This cant not be stimulating. HL2 tells you a story you will never forget. Machinaruim is fun puzzle game which actually needs a kid;s brain to think in order to complete the puzzles and guess WHAT Ive played all of these titles and guess what... THEY ARE FUN and they all stimulated my mind to think in different ways.so please dont shun video games , they have great potential and they are meant to be fun and are meant to take your mind off the day's troubles :) but they can be bad if they take over your life BUT dont dare say they are a waste of time.

I agree.How can doing something you enjoy be a waste of time? If I apply your way of thinking then a person that plays paintball or does fishing religiously is wasting their time?Just because people like to come home after a tough day at college or work and sit and play a game or 2 for a few hours is a waste of time?I get were you coming from, it is your opinion. But because you think that it is a waste of time doesnt mean that it is.I still read books, i still go out and have fun but some days i like to play a game or 2. There is nothing wrong with that. Im not wasting my life, im enjoying it by play a few games, im doing something that I want to do and if people dont like it then so be it. Im living my life for myself not them.At the end of the day there are many things that can be classified as a waste of time. but honestly nothing is really a waste of time if at the end of the day you are happy and can support yourself and your family.

It's clear to me as an adult that video games are prime draw for those of us who tend towards escapist behavior. It's easy and rewarding to get the false sense of accomplishment that games offer. It can be a really wonderful high to do something fun and different in a game when you're in a bad mood, or when you're tired of all the stress. The problem is, this tendency towards escape can become addicting, and if it's not kept in check, can become a bad habit if left out of control. All addictive behavior can cause problems. If you find it's effecting your life in a bad way, your job, your relationships, your mood, then you may have a problem. You should get help. Are video games good? Bad? As with all things it's a balancing act. For some, they probably are not so good. For others who have a healthy relationship with games, they may be OK. A whole other issue is the content in games. Violence, demonic content, and an irreverent attitude are all things we see commonly in games today. These are not good. Think about it. All these are things spoken against in man's earliest spiritual writings. From these, turn away, could be the right admonition to us all. Constantly feeding your mind on certain things is bound to affect you adversely. And if you consider the possibility of a Satanic influence in the world, which ancient writings also speak of, you should at least be careful of what you allow into your life. Don't fool yourself. There is more going on in this world than meets the eye. Read the bible. It's not just a book that men wrote... it's crazy when you really realize what it's trying to tell us.

Video games are no different from books or movies. They are just another form of entertainment. If some guy reads fantasy novels all day and ignores his other responsibilities, then he's really no better off than a WoW addict. He's spending his time in some alternate universe while his real life suffers. The key here is to make sure you are in control of how much time a day you spend playing video games. If you sit down to play for half an hour, then find yourself unable to get up and do something else after that time period expires, and instead end up playing for three hours, then you have a problem. Likewise, you also have a problem if you find everything else in your life to be a bore and can't wait to get home just so you can boot up your console or space-age gaming PC or whatever. As long as you maintain some form of balance in your life, don't neglect your job, your friends or your loved ones, then playing video games every now and then can't really hurt.

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

That is true in some respects I will grant you that!

However if you're a games designer/developer they're an invaluable tool to educate yourself, if all you have been doing throughout your own life is playing video games in your spare time (providing you have good written and spoken communication skills from school and the like), your best job will probably be actually games development which is a really lucrative business to be in.

You could get work at EA Sports (stands for Electronic Arts), I was with a guy who played alot of games at University during his spare time, when he'd got his other Uni work done at Leeds Uni in the UK and he found himself a job designing games at EA Sports.

Now he's earning more than me, I am incredibly jealous, but good for him is all I say he deserves it I think!

Games drives the modern world. Video games triggers your brain to think critically. It is a way to train your strategic part of the brain without something boring like chess. Video game is now essential for kids and teenagers.
Face it, if you take away your son's XBOX forever after he played it for 2 months (especially HALO 2), he'll melt or even take away his internet and all that stuff.

Side note: it also depends on his interests.

wow.... I'm sorry, but that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard and I've tolerated quite a few ridiculous claims. What you said isn't close to remotely true, even from a scientific point of view. If anything video games trigger your brain to turn into mush because it's a MINDLESS TASK. Even a retard, literally, can memorize the controls and master a video game, that's how easy it is. I hate to break the facts to you, but video games do not stimulate brain activity. Chess does stimulate brain activity. Period. End of story.
Read a book, flirt with a pretty girl, and exercise.

That is true in some respects I will grant you that!
However if you're a games designer/developer they're an invaluable tool to educate yourself, if all you have been doing throughout your own life is playing video games in your spare time (providing you have good written and spoken communication skills from school and the like), your best job will probably be actually games development which is a really lucrative business to be in.

You could get work at EA Sports (stands for Electronic Arts), I was with a guy who played alot of games at University during his spare time, when he'd got his other Uni work done at Leeds Uni in the UK and he found himself a job designing games at EA Sports.

Now he's earning more than me, I am incredibly jealous, but good for him is all I say he deserves it I think!

No, his quote is 100% true. Video games didn't help your friend graduate, his natural intelligence level did, NOT video games.
Edited by wiser (see edit history)

Video games are no different from books or movies. They are just another form of entertainment. If some guy reads fantasy novels all day and ignores his other responsibilities, then he's really no better off than a WoW addict. He's spending his time in some alternate universe while his real life suffers. The key here is to make sure you are in control of how much time a day you spend playing video games. If you sit down to play for half an hour, then find yourself unable to get up and do something else after that time period expires, and instead end up playing for three hours, then you have a problem. Likewise, you also have a problem if you find everything else in your life to be a bore and can't wait to get home just so you can boot up your console or space-age gaming PC or whatever. As long as you maintain some form of balance in your life, don't neglect your job, your friends or your loved ones, then playing video games every now and then can't really hurt.

another completely nonsensical post... I blame the education system for failing children like this one.

I hear you on that man. But I usually play video games after I get home and it is around 2am. I have already studied and read all my books. I have usually spent over 12 hours with my significant other, and I'm probably really trying to bore myself to sleep ^^
But I do see what you mean. I do get pissed at those people who spend their entire lives playing games and not really accomplishing anything and then *BLEEP* about their lives.

This and the OP's post are the only sensible ones.

Well, of course if you take away something that a kid has been obsessively playing then s/he's going to be pissed, you can't say that just about video games.
And not all video games (in fact most) do not make you think critically. They are not essential for kids and teenagers!! Some games do, of course, for example puzzle games. However, many are just 'go in and shoot all the bad things while trying not to die', with possibly SOME thinking involved about what to do for that particular situation (ie Halo). But are you really going to face that situation in real life? Most likely not (unless you are in space and come across a huge ring with lots of life on it and the convenant trying to use it as a weapon to destroy life in the galaxy so that the swarm or whatever they're called don't have any food and will die...).

Anyway, videogames distract people from real life. True, this is not always a bad thing. It can be argued from both sides.

Actually, even if you played Halo for 10 years straight you STILL wouldn't be prepared for a real life war against aliens on a Halo shaped space structure. You wouldn't even be able to shoot right... It requires real life training to shoot a weapon, you will never even get amateur skills via a video game. Unless it's a simulation, which is completely different than a video game and even with a virtual simulation you cannot gain amateur skills.

Despite the fact that this is a very old topic I still want to have some input on this. Yes I agree with the OP Games are a complete waste of time but if I didn't stumbled upon RPG, mmorpg, or Games and what not. It would of never inspired me to go on and learn web development which is currently what I am doing now and I am enjoying it.

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

Everyone knows that stress relief is becoming more important as our world becomes increasingly stressful. Quick decision making and logical reasoning are huge assets in life. Assets that can be improved with video games. Also, logical thinking is, sadly, a skill that seems to be mostly ignored in public education these days. Its truly sad, because finely tuned logical abilities are critically important in our world. Nearly all video games train your mind in thinking logically. So tell me its a complete waste of time.

Video games are like someone mentioned before just a form of entertainment and education (some). Some can see it as a way to forget real life problems. It starts to be a waste of time when you get addicted to them and play 24/7, or worse.Personally Ive been there, done that, so I know when it starts to be a waste of time and energy, forgetting that whats really important.Enjoy games, but moderate yourself :)

I fully agree, games are fun then you play them for entertainment or with the goal to finish it, some kind of a story or strategy, but those games which are designed for people to get addicted by growing their level and clicking and staying online as much as you can can really become a waste of time, especially those online facebook games from Zynga and similar, which is a total waste of time and money :DBut strategy games or games with good storyline and similar is just for entertainment and relaxation, the main thing just to not get addicted. There are not a lot of people who get addicted to reading books.