xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rovertos

Do You Think Technology Can Alienate People?

Technology is merely a tool. The people are to blame. Not recessarily the user who is the "victim", but the people who do not care and let it happen when they could help to prevent it. Alienation is a symptom of a cold hearted society.

i agree..its still up to the person on how to use them! =) i dont think im alienated (but well, sometimes---lol) but it can also be a faster and easier way to communicate with your friends/... and other people!!!! =)

It alienate me!! LolI dont know if alienate includes "only accept friends from this/that/it clan" on mmo games, cause that what happened in many high leveled player here = =

I think technology such as the "web", can and does alienate some. I remember reading one story from a computer magazine where a tech journalist explained how his huge obsession with the internet broke down his marriage and deteriated his health. Fortunately the guy got out of his predicament and wrote an article shortly after his flip side. I think certain personalities who like to fanatically focus in on the details of things, are at risk of these mistakes. Particularly because computers provide vast subject material to explore, with little effort.

In my opinion of course it does alienate people, but from other side it brings evryone together, usually people on sites similar to facebook speak with school mates when they already finished school and etc. But in some way, people spend less time speaking one to another near a cup of tea or coffee, some people just want to comeback and login to some site or chat service and speak.Or the most obvious example, two people talk a lot through SMS, Skype, MSN and etc. and has al ot of what to say, but when they meet together, they sometimes might be very quite :) and does not know what to say, of course it depends, but it's just an example.Some people just forget birthdays, because they got used to that sites liek facebook reminds them, but they forget about birthdays from people who does not use facebook and similar sites :DThere are bad sides and good sides about all this technology and alienation, but in my opinio it's best if you can communicate in real live and in Internet live, that you could measure things.Personally I don't use sites like facebook, because of lack of time to do a lot of other things, but I used to use services like that in the past, for me it's usually was lost time of my live :(

Does a sword make us weaker? The caveman who wrestled and pushed a deer down a cliff just to earn his living, was probably a lot stronger than a Samurai. Does a gun make us weaker? The Samurai, who's strength relies in swift and powerful strikes, is probably a lot stronger than a Sniper sitting up in a building, holding his breath and waiting to pull the trigger. But the weapons aren't to blame. A weapon is a tool. A tool is something that makes the general procedure of any given aspect more efficient, hopefully. How this greater efficiency affects the people/things involved in the process, can not be blamed on the tool itself. In this case, the internet gives us a generously easier way to communicate with an infinite amount of people. Sure, the presence of something like this makes the average Joe Bloggs want to stay at home and chat/game, where he could otherwise be outdoors Trick-Or-Treating. That isn't the inter-net's fault of course, it's Joe Bloggs who is unable to find the right balance between outdoors and indoors life, that is to blame. Same thing with most technology, they are made to benefit us, but when we grow slothful in the presence of these tools, we are to blame for being too darned lazy!

It depends on the availability of technology. It can alienate people that do not have the technology at their disposal. They do not have the access to the knowledge and benefits it provides. I see more alienation in areas where the technology is less available.

OK, technology can bring people together, that's for sure. But can it also alienate people? What you think?

Dear friend I think it depends entirely upon the person to person and as well the circumstances in which one is brought up to be alienated or be together with other people. So just because of technology I don't think people will become alienated just because of technology. But its just my personal view.

A lot of good things come from technology, but at the same time it does alienate people.The other day I wanted a coffee, and had no choice really but to go in a starbucks, sinceit was the only place around. I'd rather not go in starbucks. The coffee isn't very goodanyway. The place had it's usual cold generic setup, and not only that, but it was full of peoplelooking directly into laptops, all in their own world. It's sort of disturbing. I'm sure most of these people haveinternet access at home, and yet they can't leave the computers alone. There they are stuck intheir own world with no interaction between each other. Total alienation.We are a society of geeks now.People walking around with ipods on all the time, yet not supporting music at all at the local level.People living terminally through blackberries, never leaving them alone for very long it seems.Why are people so fascinated by which crappy sell phone they use? I've been using them as long as anybody,but rarely carry mine around. Technology is really making people super superficial. Really shallow.Yes. It's alienated people. Makes me laugh.

I think technology will not alienate people. It makes communication faster. mobile phones for example, helped very much in communication and people are informed about what they wantvia sms and alerts.I think technology always trying to ease our life

Technology is a tool, and can be used for good or bad, as is the case with any tool. In a murder, do you arrest the weapon? Of course not. If someone alienates them self from their family and friends to play World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft did not cause the person to become disconnected, the person allowed them self to become disconnected because they decided the game was more important. Technology doesn't alienate people, it simply provides the means to become alienated from other people, as is the case with many other things. If someone you know has become distant, and is spending too much time on the phone or computer, blame them, not the technology.

Edited by Spudd (see edit history)

I don't personally believe technology alienates people. Other people may, but I don't. To me, the people that alienate themselves with technology are the ones who would try to alienate themselves by any other means. In this sense, technology's just a convenient tool for the job.Personally, I love to share ideas and learn things that are going on around the world with technology. There is one thing I really can't stand, however. It's not a problem with the technology, specifically, but rather the people that are using it. I hate when people use technology as a shield to say hurtful or otherwise less filtered things than they would in everyday life. In situations like these, technology serves to flatter the ego, and we're already an immensely ego-gorged society as it stands (although that's an entirely different rant).

In my opinion yes. Tecnology does alienate people. Well let me say alienate physical people. Because we are now in an era were we are controlled by the 3 screens, the TV screen, Computer screen and phone Screen. Yes we have made more freiendsships on things like myspace and facebok and we cultivate those friendships and relationships over the internet but most of the time we dont even play wih our physical freinds. We'd rather play with our vortual / omnline friends and that wat we care about more and more.Most of use dont even care about tangable freinds we acan text talk to our friends on the phone all day and even if we decide to hang out with the real friends we are so stuck with the friends on the phone we spend a third of the time we hang with real friends busy texting away. Even nowadays we cant even be bother to date the old fashioned way, technology has brought about internet dating and we are all engrossed in internet dating (by all I dont literally mean all).Then we have TIVo / Sky Plus that thing where you can watch TV programmes as and when you want, you can rewind pause and record them, meaning we can now spend all day infront of the TV watching the very programmes that we used to have to wait till 1 am to watch but now instead of staying up late I just rcord it and watch during the day when I used to be playing with ROb down the raod. Then later I have update Twitter and Facebook and check email and stuff. In England Kids cant even spell correctly because they dont know the difference between txt talk and proper english. Teacher are finding more and more txt talk in childrens work eg most kids think phone is fone and they are (they're) is the same spellign as their and even more think all three can be spelt as there eg There were all sat in there car instead of Their Caror There looking at us instead of They're looking at usand Your cuming over rite now instead or you're coming over right now