xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

Fear Of My Status On Trap17

Within the past week someone registered me on someone elses forums, to be specific, it was coolduck123456 's forums.They Registered using Albus Dumbledore, and made some posts saying that they were Albus Dumbledore from Xisto.I am not the one who registered there, and i sort of in fear for my sstatus on XistoBecause coolduck believed that i was the one who actually registered, so who's to say that this person doesn't register me at 50 other forums, and say the same thing, advertise my site, and Xisto's site, and come to Xisto or xisto, and get my site banned and me banned from the forums for spamming Xisto and my site, or get xisto into trouble for spamming their site.If there is something that an admin can do to make coolduck give the full IP address to you and you can search the forums to see if it is anyones, and if so contact the person and tell them to stop.Thanx-------------------EDITI was just informed that it is not coolduck's site, but it is a friend of his. so if admins here can not make coolduck cough up the IP i am going to go to the hosting company the site is hosted on and request it from them and tell them the situation

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

Like I said before, Im doing what I can, but cannot give you the Ip number. If you want I could contact it for you, but other ways you can try to get the admins to do something.

" Breach of Security?"

Albus, I don't see how this is that big of a deal. Not to be rude, but stuff like this does occur often and on my site I try to deal with things accordingly. I tried to help, but I guess you aren't listening!

And this is sort of my site, but I did not create it by myself, others helped as well!

Furthermore the posts read as followed!

Hi im newn to this site and need somehelp. O heard of you from Xisto and wonder if you can help e around!

After that a mod warned him and then furthmore banned him from the site and reported him as well@!
Edited by coolduck123456 (see edit history)

AD, your IP using in Xisto is logged and will be compared if and when the question of spam arise. Although I can look into another hosting members files/forums that would be a violation of trust between the hosting provider and hosting user without a prior consent.I cannot, furthermore, make someone to divulge an information at will. There must be an accusation and time to process and collect necessary logs to come to a conclusion. But it seems like coolduck already performed his administrative duty and stopped anymore non-sense from your name thief.If you are concerned with your reputation from being tarnished, the only way you can prevent is to go to all existing forums and register your name in each and every one of them. Or, you can sit back and just concentrate in your area.

Yes, but would xisto admin's think twice about checking that before they ban me and my site? no they wouldn't they would just ban me and the site, and i would be stuck without a site until i dispute it, and frankly i dont feel i should have to do that.

Yes, but would xisto admin's think twice about checking that before they ban me and my site?

You make it sound like OpaQue just suspends hosting without a reason.

When OpaQue suspends a hosting site, it's well after weeks (sometimes months) worth of evidence. Either you don't have faith in OpaQue's ability or you don't have faith that you will be held innocent until proven guilty.

And focus on a single issue: are you worried that your hosting will be affected because what goes on outside of this forum? Or are you worried that your reputation of your current handle is at risk?

Your hosting will not be affected just because someone has your same handle in a forum X. What's that got to do with Xisto forum? And when that member's IP address and your Xisto IP address do not match, the case will not hold water. Right?

Someone sends spam email the header will always show where it was originated. If the header reveals your IP or ISP information (or web-based) but does not match your previous email origination you will not be held accountable.

if someone were to sign up on 25 sites, with the same handle as me 'Albus Dumbledore' and make an introduction post like the one this member made on coolduck's forums saying something along the lines of this:

Hey i am ALbus DUmlbedore from Xisto.com, i am happy to be at this site, my site is hogwartsmagic.net, i might Need Help with my site!

then they are spamming My site, and they are spamming an xisto site website, which i am sure that OpaQue does not want to have a bad reputation of having his members spam his website because he is desperate for members, when he for sure isn't desperate at all. and also spamming my site.

wouldn't OpaQue or another xisto admin automatically look at the user name and say Albus Dumbledore, hmm he's on Xisto hmm the profiles say pretty much the same thing, 'Intrests: Harry Potter' etc... and would they automatically ban me until they can further investigate the issue, meaning get IP address etc...

because to me, that would be the logical thing to do while investigating it, and so i figures xisto admins would use logic and do that. but if they dont do it that way, then i still have a worry about it because i don't want xisto or me to have a bad name until it is completely investigated.

and yes, coolduck did his admin duties and all that, but what is to say this person doesn't go out to other sites and spam it up?
Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

Sometimes when a member gets more active they will gain more reputation.. Thus most probably will fear of others using their username and doing something illegal like spamming and tarnishing their image.. But IP check will most probably proves that it is not the work done but someone who wants to plays a fool... You can simply ignore such persons and I know that Xisto admins does ip checks and use concrete evidence before banning someone from the hosting... And if someone is having a familiar name has been up to some mischief around your site you could probably contact the guy where he's more well known and active in, that could probably resolve things..

wouldn't OpaQue or another xisto admin automatically look at the user name and say Albus Dumbledore, hmm he's on Xisto hmm the profiles say pretty much the same thing, 'Intrests: Harry Potter' etc... and would they automatically ban me until they can further investigate the issue, meaning get IP address etc...

because to me, that would be the logical thing to do while investigating it, and so i figures xisto admins would use logic and do that. but if they dont do it that way, then i still have a worry about it because i don't want xisto or me to have a bad name until it is completely investigated.

That sounds illogical. If admins only compared forum handles to make the decision, there wouldn't be any member in any given forum. The carefully crafted forum and its admin will launch legitimate complaint to OpaQue and submit spammer's full information, i.e. email used to register, registeration IP and so on. If the information provided does not match Xisto member's profile the reply from OpaQue will be something like, "no that is not my forum member and should be treated with X forum's TOS." When a complaint is launched but no such information is provided, OpaQue ignores it all together.

This is the standard practice of Xisto: innocent until proven guilty.

OpaQue is the only admin of Xisto. You need not worry about other server admins. They follow OpaQue's instruction and OpaQue did not establish Xisto where a mere email will send Xisto member into a tailspin.

When OpaQue suspends an account it is because due to strong evidence that is indisputable with any excuse.

There may be a case where a hosting member of Xisto is not at fault for sending out mass spam emails. However, this is still the responsibility of hosting account's owner--not making sure all scripts present in hosting account are free from fault or insecurity. This is also stated in AUP and hosting TOS.

AD, as an outsider here I think you have no reason to be worried about. I believe the admins will do what is necessary to ensure the status of their members, if that means checking and investigating for months, I am sure they would do it. Of course, you have your point, most admins would just pass the sentence on their members once they do a little investigation and the information tallys. But I am sure this is not the case at Xisto. There is 1 thing I am curious about, IPs are dynamic, how are the people at Xisto going to be recognised as who's who?

IPs are dynamic, how are the people at Xisto going to be recognised as who's who?

IP tools reveals two things: the initial registration IP used by a member and all IP addresses used by a member.

But even simpler method is when a fake user X posts in forum Y, the IP will be logged in that Y forum. The real user in Xisto posts on or around the similar time frame, we simply compare the IP addresses logged and that can tell whether it was the same user.

Although IP addresses may be dynamic, it does not change over night or within few days. The usual IP reassign occurs about month or longer.

Although it is true they cannot give you that information both xisto and cool ducks friend website. The admin/mods can keep tabs on who is trying to bring you down. Look at me I practically the most visible member.Here what I would do albus google your name and pick some other words that would fall under that name and see what you can bring up.Did that one and found my clones on other sites it was interesting. But I don't think anyone is stupid enough to clone your name and then post to get you in trouble has nothing else better do.

Although it is true they cannot give you that information both xisto and cool ducks friend website. The admin/mods can keep tabs on who is trying to bring you down. Look at me I practically the most visible member.
Here what I would do albus google your name and pick some other words that would fall under that name and see what you can bring up.

Did that one and found my clones on other sites it was interesting. But I don't think anyone is stupid enough to clone your name and then post to get you in trouble has nothing else better do.

The only problem is his name is so popular because it's named after a character in Harry Potter so it will be hard to weed out all of those links. It's not like a user can access Albus' hosting account though which helps because that'll make for a lesser possibility of spam, and if the user joins here it'll be obvious it's not Albus because he told Trap already. The only thing is really your reputation at other sites. You might have to go though a name change.

hmm i would say that if your in the uk you could make an access attempt to the IP under the Freedom of Information Act and the Data protection Act but i know you live in the US and im not sure if there is an equivlent. Im sure that the admins on Xisto and across the Xisto will now compare IP's if your account name is registered on any other forum. There is not much you can do really. This has happened to me before but i used the FDM and DPA to gain access to the IP of the person who was impersonating me. You could always request a display name change to eliminate the problem.

Before we banned "Albus", we Pmed and told him to stop pretending to be the "Real" Albus! He didn't reply, but changed some of his personal data. We later just had to ban him so he wouldn't cause any more trouble than what he had already done! I'm sorry that this has happened, but I don't know what else you want me and the other admin's to to do, since we've done everything that I'm willing to do! I aslo don't think that he will try to damage your reputation because who would waste his time on doing something like that!

Edited by coolduck123456 (see edit history)