xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

United States: "we Own Outer Space!"

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Basically the president signed something that said that we won't allow people into space for "hostile purposes." Normal space systems would be allowed, but any attempt to interfere with our systems would warrant response.

I think this is pretty stupid. As a hippie might say, "You can't, like, own space, man."

Well what do you expect wiwth most of hte man made satellites around earth are controlled by us, especially military one's. Also were like a handful of countries that can support space missions wiwth the shuttles and what not. But I think the only reason their doing that is to prevetn anyone from shipping satellites with nukes in them.

The way it is put doesnt sound very good, as the thread title says "We Own Outer Space". I am sure they wouldn't attack if just someone like China put a satellite into space.However, I don't understand why they did this, because if another country has enough technology to put nukes into space, they must have nukes on the ground, and if america decided it wanted to blow something of theirs up it could lead to another cold war, or even World War III.From what I understand, America is mainly worried about its satellites, which if one went out of order, it would have a huge affect on the American populous, as was proved when a satellite got hit by a rock, and 90% of Americas pagers when offline.However if a country did want to destroy a American satellite, surely it would be more cost effective, and a lot more likely to succeed if they used Ground to Space Missiles instead, which go way to fast and are way to small for America to hit with anything they have got at present.

They did this so other countries can't mess with our stuff in outer space and start space wars. I think it's sort of a good idea although I don't think it was meant that we "own" outer space just that we'll take the proper actions if someone screws with our experiments and what not or tries to come near our stuff. I didn't read the whole article so I don't know all the details.

There has always been someone controlling something, and I think this is something they would like to control. Especially because they have way more experience with outer space than any other country.

the yanks are at it again, why wont GWB die, some assasinate him please, ill watch and ill laugh. the man is truly scum. He thinks he owns the whole universe like hes the law of the universe, well hes not. the sooner he is dead the better off the world will be. The americans (any that support GWB) need to see a proffessional for help. the man is clearly deluded and his attempt at owning space prooves this. I like the fact that hes allowed to make these rules yet he makes another rule saying no one else can make these rules...my god. what has america got itself into?

I read the article but am a bit confused. Arent the satellites they send 'Geostationery' which in laymen's term means a Satellite would be fixed in perspective with a location on Earth. Now that leads to this question > does US demand no space missions or satellites to be launched by any other nation but them? if that is so then it might take us back into dark ages of technology. Space should never be a monopoly of one nation. I agree with the fact that there should be some kind of a central agency which keeps a strict eye on all the space ventures(defense or otherwise) of all the countries.

Well the USA almoust owns the world so why not own the space too; maybe one day they will rent it to us... Buy one get one free :lol: ... Now serious- I'm having my doubts that the USA has even got to the moon (not as if they couldn't do it with todays tech, but 40 years ago that might have been a problem and we all know how much they wanted to show the russians how good they are... so if you can't get to the moon why not fake it?), but saying space is someones territory is just crazy. Yeah of course it is the best place to put nukes, but it's not like the USA don't have nukes on the orbit. Im sure there have at least a couple of nukes "just in case".This is a typical case of: 'I control the world, we do it my way or no way!'. It's not like the first time they do it...

I'm having my doubts that the USA has even got to the moon (not as if they couldn't do it with todays tech, but 40 years ago that might have been a problem . . .

Actually it's the other way around. In the 1960's it was our goal to make it to the moon by the end of the decade, so we spent all our space-exploration resources on it and eventually made it there. Now we're focusing on short-range manned missions (to the International Space Station) and really long range unmanned missions (Mars, Pluto, other solar systems), and we don't even have a copy of the blueprints from the space shuttle we used in 1969.

This reminds me, though, didn't Bush once say something about getting back to the moon within a few years? What ever happened to that?

This is in response to China trying to blind a few of our spy satalites and is the next logic step as more countries enter into the crowded global orbaital space. Basic this policy says, if someone tries to do stuff to our sats in orbit, we reserve the right to respond...As far as the back to the moon thing...just a ploy. Because of the Moon Treaty, there is no incentive for the uS or private interests to do anything with the moon. Simple as that.

As much as it would like to, The US cannot control the world or what is out of it. The world has grown too big to be dominated by the US anymore. The sooner it realises it the better. As for space, it is way too large for the entire earth. So 'keep your hands off space' isn't gonna work.

It is funny and doesn't mean a thing to me. Bush thinks that he can control the world, and that is funny i know about a guy who thought the same. His name was Hitler. Basicly what he's trying to say with this is "If you go to space, show US a passport!". And of course your briefcase ;)It's that too many James Bond movies about bad guys trying to control the world that braine washed his mind. Thank god he can't be president no more, and i just hope that American ppl are going to be a bit smarter when they select new one. But then again, really, who cares ;)

"You can't, like, own space, man." Hee hee... I like how you put that ;)

To me it seems kind of funny to think that someone can "own" the rights to space and what is allowed to go there. Honestly, if that were true, I'd be more apt to believe that it would be owned by some extraterrestrial life force that exists somewhere else in the universe that is far more advanced than we are.

I can see it now... the headline in their latest newspaper (actually probably not a headline, but rather a small story buried way in the middle of the humour section) would read, "Idiot Earthlings Think They Own Outer Space". Then one of the people reading it would giggle a bit, and use their special mind waves to send a "beam of terror" upon the earth, showing us our place in the universe.

Really, what are some people thinking? But I guess you can't fault a guy for trying lol... Or can you? ;)