xisto Community
cjm1504

How To Change Windows Xp Language ?

my mate bought me a laptop from Paris .... now the problem is i dont know how can i get windows in an english version... currently its french. I have tried all the possible ways... its not even letting me boot from my own cd.Any help would be great

Well you could boot it from your own copy if you have it. I also found a link for a Language pack from Microsoft but i'm not really sure what you have to do to use it. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

Hopefully though you can download it and change the language without having to install it.

Hmm I don't think that's possible without reinstalling windows, if I'm right every windows CD rom or DVD rom has its own language, and the language can't easily be changed that wise. Think about it, if you need a new CD / DVD to install windows in your own prefered language that's another pile of dollars for microschoft!

my mate bought me a laptop from Paris .... now the problem is i dont know how can i get windows in an english version... currently its french. I have tried all the possible ways... its not even letting me boot from my own cd.
Any help would be great

lets start flaming :) ... what about to start using linux ... changing of lang is so easy :)

I think it's not possible.From english to an other language is possible is you have Windows XP Prof. (this pakket is call MUI)But is your windows is French it's most likly the French version.It's possible that teher are on your hard drive some recovery files.Here in Belgium when you start a laptop for the first time you get the choice to install Windows In English , French or Dutch (I don't know if it deletes the other languages after starting up).Ofcourse in France (Paris) they have only one language 'French'.Installing it in English can be done if you have the restore disks of the same type of computer in English.(they can be bought by a computer vendor I think )

Well, I think now there is a way to do it. You may search over the Micro$oft site. I think they have new language packs since Vista, but they also have some XP ones!-Mecanologo

CHANGING THE LANGUAGE IN XP

Would'nt it just be easier to tell people to go to control panel select regional/ language options, on the regional tab select your language ??

-reply by jdog

Sadly this is not possible in the "normal" versions of Windows XP, only in the multilingunal version.Conclusion: You will need to buy or reuse (from an old PC) an english copy of windows.wischi

Try This...Get a copy of explorer.Exe in your friends PC which has a English default language then replace yours with it...Don't forget to make a back up of your explorer.Exe just in case it won't work..-reply by Cachoski

you have to go to control panel , then choose regional and language options, then from standars and format choose your country, then from language tab choose details and then select your country, ithen you have to choose extend support of advanced text services to all programs from advanced tab to enable your settings to all programsf you want to enable languages such as chinese or arabic you have to choose advanced from the main dialogue and then select your county

Regional and Language settings

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. However here, the "Start -> Control Panel, Regional and Language settings", is not possible to find, because the same is also in different language [ Korean Here ]. Could you please let us know what is the symbol displayed for this option so that we can click that option.

Thanks in advance,

Raja

-reply by Raja