xisto Community
feipoh

My Laptop's Mousepad Won't Work, Can It Be Fixed?

My laptop's mousepad won't work what ever i do on the mousepad the arrow just stay still...however if i connect a USB external mouse the arrow will move as usual.So is this easy to fix? can i fixed it by myself? how can i check what is its problems? any one have any idea please. Thank you!

Yes i know your problem it happened to me a while ago with my IBM Thinkpad, ok this worked for me so try it and if it don't work let me know, go to your device manager and find mouse and if it shows something about a in-port mouse or something delete/remove it and then restart. Also if you cant find it just find something in your device manager that has the exclamation mark (!) ON IT TO say it isn't working and remove it and restart. If that don't work do as I said before and after you remove it form the device manager just go to i think it was Add new hardware and let it search for new hardware and your in built mouse may show up and install, if it does and still don't work try restarting and then it should work. If none of those worked i'm stumped as thats what i did and worked. I remember gogleing "Inbuilt mouse not working" and got an article in google groups on it. Well good luck

Thanks for your reply, but the fix was much easier...... I went to the Mouse Properties from the control panel... and for some unknown reason the Touchpad On/Off was set to "disable". Change to "Enable", and Hey Presto, back in business. God knows why it disabled itself, but I'm glad its all fixed now.Cheers.

Hello Dear
I have got a mouse problem in my IBM thinkpad that is some what opposite to that of yours. The mouse pointer automatically starts moving randomly and that to very fast. I have reinstalled the driver but it didn't work. I believe it is the problem of pointer
control, situated between G & H keys.
Coming to the point.... I want to disable the touchpad, but i could not any option in the mouse properties so can you help me to locate it.....I usually use USB mouse.

Best Regards,
Atul

Thanks for your reply, but the fix was much easier...
... I went to the Mouse Properties from the control panel... and for some unknown reason the Touchpad On/Off was set to "disable". Change to "Enable", and Hey Presto, back in business. God knows why it disabled itself, but I'm glad its all fixed now.

Cheers.

atulmt, where you reinstall the driver, you can also disable or uninstall, the driver.Uninstalling should make the touchpad stop working.It's possible that the bios also has a setting for that, but not likely.

Hey, I have a problem with my laptop's trackpad. My laptop is a lenovo mini 10 thinkpad. Anyway I was in the shower when I went to change a song, I touched the pad with wet hands so then I just used the red dot thing on the keyboard. after my shower I got a towel and dried all the water up and I don't know what's going on I think I touched something with the towel and changed the setting. I dont know how to work this now I need my mousepas!! :( please anyone reply.Thanks :(

Hello DearI have got a mouse problem in my IBM thinkpad that is some what opposite to that of yours. The mouse pointer automatically starts moving randomly and that to very fast. I have reinstalled the driver but it didn't work. I believe it is the problem of pointer
control, situated between G & H keys.
Coming to the point.... I want to disable the touchpad, but i could not any option in the mouse properties so can you help me to locate it.....I usually use USB mouse.

Best Regards,
Atul

hey i have the same problem i am on the mouse settings but it says nowhere about it being disapled ?
could you help me

A mousepad for a conventional trackball mouse is different from a mousepad for an optical mouse. Perhaps what you need to do is get a new mousepad? A conventional trackball mouse needs a mousepad that has increased traction to get the mouse ball rolling when it is moved. Such mice do not work on slippery surfaces. Early trackball mice used a heavy ball coated in rubber or similar polymers and worked great but newer trackball mice used lightweight trackballs and may have been the result of cost cutting to match the prices of competitors. For an optical mouse, the surface of the mousepad has to be bright so as to reflect the laser back into the receiver / sensor on the mouse and does not need to provide traction. However, the mousepad should not have a glossy surface or act like a mirror. You can simply use an A4 sized paper from your printer to serve as a mousepad if you are using an optical mouse. Usually the A4 sized paper works great with the trackball mice too because the surface of the paper is generally rough and can cause the trackball to rotate with ease.

I just read the OP's post again and realised that he or she was not referring to a mouse pad at all but was instead referring to the touch pad that is included in laptops. I guess I took the mention of mouse pad to mean an actual mouse pad - the flat surface that you would use under a computer mouse when using it.
For anyone who still has a problem with the touch pad, the first thing to do is to restart the computer with any external mice disconnected because some computers will automatically disable the built-in touch pad and track point if an external mouse is connected. If the mouse still does not work, check the BIOS setting - laptops sometimes have an additional setting to disable the touch pad or track point using the BIOS. If the BIOS setting is missing or it indicates that the touch pad and the track point are enabled, hook up the external mouse again and go to the Control Panel, look for the mouse properties. Typically, the laptop manufacturer installs additional mouse driver software to enable or disable the touch pad or track point, so look for any kind of a logo on that last tab in the Mouse properties control panel applet. If you do have one that has a logo or looks like something that you do not normally see in the Mouse properties, that is most likely the driver settings for your touch pad or track point and you could look for settings to enable or disable the track point or touch pad on that tab. For the Synaptics touch pads and track points that I had on my computers, there almost always was a tab on the Mouse properties Control Panel applet with the red Synaptics logo (it looks like the outline of a computer mouse) and that leads to a popup window with settings to disable the track point and touch pad.
If all else fails, simply order an OEM touch pad from eBay and replace the one that you have in your laptop. Any server center will be able to perform the replacement for you if they have the part available or if you can provide them with the replacement part.

My mouse pad work for like 3 mins and Then it stop working I tried every single One of the answers and replys but nothingWorks if u can help E-mail me atthanhnha_thach@yahoo.com

I would try something, just in order to clarify whether it's a hardware or a driver problem.

Try booting on a Microsoft Windows install disk. Don't click install! :(

Simply look if your mouse works, and wait a couple of minutes and look if your mouse continues working.

If you have no mouse problem when booting on on the Windows install disk, this means that the drivers on your current Windows install are faulty.

If your mouse dos not work with the last Windows install disk, this means that you probably have a hardware problem, and have to keep using and external mouse.