xisto Community
CarlU

Big 3: Vbulletin Vs. Invision Power Board Vs. Phpbb

I installed SMF (Simplemachines forum) for one of my domain. I purchased this domain to host forums especially. and that's why i was looking for forum option. I asked some poeple here about suggestions. and i got suggestion of SMF,PhpBB, MyBB and AEF. Out of that i chosen SMF becuase of it's ease of use. :Pi can't afford vbulletin and invision so free one's are my only option. i had lot of confusion and desperate attempt to go for Phpbb, but i settled for SMF. Let's see how much i can get out of from SMF. There is lot of learning curve for me regarding SMF. anyone of you knows good place for SMF tutorial/hacks/mods/skins? Coming back to topic, the order which i think is 1. vBulletin2. SMF and PhpBB3. Insvision

I installed SMF (Simplemachines forum) for one of my domain. I purchased this domain to host forums especially. and that's why i was looking for forum option. I asked some poeple here about suggestions. and i got suggestion of SMF,PhpBB, MyBB and AEF. Out of that i chosen SMF becuase of it's ease of use. :P

Just curious, but could you please comment on why the AEF Forum software was not chosen?
I am involved in the AEF Software as a Universal Moderator on the Forums and do some Project Coding, etc. on the package.
It would be good if you could please provide some feedback on the reasons why you did not select that package.
Did you download and install or otherwise test any version?
What was it lacking?
Are you aware that it includes:

A built-in shoutbox?
News Rotator script?
Ajaxed PM system?
UTF-8 Character set?
Built-in Ad space on the Header and Footer?
Easily Themed?
Multi language support?
Secure... it has never been Haxored due to any AEF shortcomings?

I would be grateful for your comments on the AEF package. Thanks.

@TheDistributedOne:

Thanks. If you can help can you point me to the "Syntax Highlight" Mod for SMF? Which i failed to find on the google search, as Geshi was removed from SMF mod site due to gpl license. Also is there any Ad-Mod for SMF?

@ Jlhaslip

Just curious, but could you please comment on why the AEF Forum software was not chosen?

Hi Jl, i was unable to test AEF with all those features. Due to my limited experience with it, i selected phpbb & smf as two choices to choose from. and finally i pick smf, becaue of it's easy learning curve and some good mods related to formatting. I'll do post about AEF, as i learn more about it.

My choice for the number 1 forum script software is: Invision Power Board.I find that this board is the best featured and has easier admin controls. I find that it is worth it's money.If you look at vBullitin its too professional and confusing to use.And phpBB3 is a very good forum system, and it's free. But using IPB is just too good and you cant go back to phpbb3, it's just I do not mind it.Three main reasons why IPB is good:Easy to useLooks cleanXisto is using it :P

Hey just tested out some VB, phBB, smf, fluxbb and still to test myBB.. im setting up my forum and i want to make sure i have the right software. Here are my small thoughts with the following:VB is expensive and good for large forums. so this is out of my list, just got curious so many people recommend thisphBB is very good since it is very customizable, lots of support and skins but can take a while to make it look good.SMF is butt ugly and have tons of low quality skins imhofluxbb is lightweight, looks clean out of the box, but no sub forums and lots of features are missing.. but i think this is what im going to use.myBB still to test..Also opened my option to using BBpress instead.$100 is not worth it when free options are everywhere and as good or even better than paid option, well except the 24/7 support but there's always the forums.. support open source!!! :P

@TheDistributedOne:

Thanks. If you can help can you point me to the "Syntax Highlight" Mod for SMF? Which i failed to find on the google search, as Geshi was removed from SMF mod site due to gpl license. Also is there any Ad-Mod for SMF?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It is still in Beta, so it won't be on the Mod site. You may have to be logged in to download it. Yes there is an ad Mod. Search for "jerm" on the md site and you will find it. A question though. Did you choose RC1 or 1.1.8?

SMF is butt ugly and have tons of low quality skins imho

You are right, a lot of the skins are terrible, but if you look, you will find some great ones. Most of Runic's, and Crip's themes are very good looking. Two of the skins that start with "XD" are very professional, and are better looking than most other themes, even for other softwares.